Forum: General / Tap / Tap

Vent and encourage thread
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 29, 2012 01:29 PM

I was trying to think of ideas to get the tap board going a little more, and I thought maybe people could post about their tap frustrations and see who else is in the same boat.

Maybe it's a step, maybe it's something stylistic, maybe it's to do with tone, or rhythm, or speed... whatever it is, if there's something you've been working on without much success, share it here and get some encouragement! Maybe a tip or two might find their way in, but mostly this is for stuff that you just want to vent about and hadn't thought about starting a separate thread for.

I'll start us off:

I am about ready to chop off my left leg over a pullback sequence in one of our routines. We have to do a row of pullbacks off the ball, going open-closed-open-closed etc, and DO YOU THINK I can get my left foot to lead when I come to do them on that side? Nope, every single effing time I start with my left foot and by the time I get through one pullback I'm leading with my right.

I know it's just a matter of time and practice, but my goodness it's annoying me at the moment!

20 Replies to Vent and encourage thread

re: Vent and encourage thread
By Tappercise
On Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 PM
Try doing four single pullbacks on your left foot followed by four double pullbacks that lead with your left foot. This worked for me when I was having a problem doing offset double pullbacks that started with a left lead.
On Thu Aug 30, 2012 06:49 AM
Thanks. Weird thing is that pretty much any other kind of pullback I've yet encountered, I can do on my left no problem, even up to six beats. Pullbacks are usually one of my strengths. I just can't seem to get THIS. Oh well!

Anyone else got something they want to vent about?
By balletgirl4ever
On Thu Aug 30, 2012 06:59 PM
I only did tap for a year a while back and during the summer I went to a few tap masterclasses. They were really hard and I was wayyy over my head. I just couldn't keep up, its really fustrating when everyone around you is doing it perfectly!! I just need more practice, I think.
By tappingitout
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 05:46 AM
I struggle with picking up tap steps by ear/visual rather than someone breaking it down. I'm getting better, but it's still not something that comes easily for me. I'm also beginning to really get into the music theory of tap and sometimes thats tough. I'm also working on Leon Collins' 53 right now and the 2nd chorus is kicking my butt. It's frustrating because I know the steps aren't hard, but I always feel like I'm on the wrong foot- the order doesn't feel natural to me.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 05:56 AM
My vent? I want to tap so bad!!!! 1.) I have no money 2.)I'm not sure where to take classes 3.) I want to wear my Miller and Ben shoes

I wonder how much effort it would take to start up a tap performance group. Or a dance company in general.
By KaydeeJayde
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 06:10 AM
My vent is that I just can't get shoes that fit me right. I have really wide feet, and none of the brands make anything wide enough, so I have a pair of Miller and Bens on order which should arrive in October sometime. For the moment though, I'm in a pretty much dead pair of Blochs which I don't really love the sound of anyway, but they're going to have to be my show shoes because my M&B's are going to be green and purple.

Also, I hate when I can pick up a step so easily in class, then we don't practise it in class for a few weeks, and then the teacher brings it back, and somehow I've managed to practise in an extra heel or something, and it is SO hard to get that out of the step when you've practised it a lot!

This is an awesome idea for a thread! It makes me sad that the tap board is so dead, so hopefully this livens things up a bit :D
By tappingitout
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 08:03 AM
Majere, I feel your pain. I heard rumors that someone in my area is tring to start a company and I would love to audition. I need more tap! Where are you located? Maybe I can help with info on where to take class?
Also, I get the no money and shoe frustrations issue. My miller and bend are on their last leg and I have a pair of shoes from capezio on order that have been on back order since January! I need new shoes!
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:42 AM
tappingitout wrote:

Majere, I feel your pain. I heard rumors that someone in my area is tring to start a company and I would love to audition. I need more tap! Where are you located? Maybe I can help with info on where to take class?
Also, I get the no money and shoe frustrations issue. My miller and bend are on their last leg and I have a pair of shoes from capezio on order that have been on back order since January! I need new shoes!

I'm in Oklahoma. I know two studios (one I grew up in and one I took a ballet class last year). I'm not sure about returning to either one. The one I grew up in did invite me back to dance in the finale tap number and it was so much fun. I hope they do that next year too. But, as for classes...I think everyone my level is gone now. I'm not sure if they would want me to jump back in with the teens or if would have to join an adult class.
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:07 PM
Oh, I so wish we were on the same continent. I'm approaching the upper limit of my school's syllabus, so unless they suddenly decide to offer an advanced freestyle class (which doesn't look likely, as most people my level will be heading to university) then I'll be out of tap again within a year!
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:42 PM
Maybe we could put together a Skype tap class or something. That would be fun.
By KaydeeJayde
On Sat Sep 01, 2012 05:28 AM
That would be awesome, but can you imagine how out of time everything would be for people with delays?! Thinking about it is making me laugh :P

Tappingitout, thats exactly it. If I had more money, I'd be able to get shoes especially made to exactly fir my foot! Thats so sad about your Miller and Bens. I can't wait to get mine, but I'm scared I won't want to wear them because I won't want to wear them out. :P
By tappingitout
On Sat Sep 01, 2012 07:31 AM
I would totally be down for a virtual tap class or jam session. I bet there is a way to get around the delays.
Majere, I'm in the fort worth area of Texas so not too far, but I know nothing of tap in Oklahoma.
Kaydee, I wouldn't worry too much about your miller and bens. I've had mine for about 4 years and they are finally falling apart. These are my basic black ones that I wear all the time. I have a pair in custom colors that I only wear once in awhile because I want them to last.
By martyCTT
On Sat Sep 01, 2012 02:38 PM
I love the smell of new tap shoes in the morning :)

Skype jam session would be hilarious and awesome. I could ustream one of my tap classes for you Majere. Oklahoma sounds like it would be a black hole unless you lived near OKC. Oklahoma City University looks like it does open classes on the weekends. Diana Brooks has chops, so if you could get a class with her that would be great. Looks like she is really the only "tap dancers tap dancer" on faculty.

Vent:

Picking out costumes for kids... /facepalm. Everything is so ugly or slutty now a days. I guess I was spoiled growing up because my sister was a seamstress and so she would design all our costumes.
On Sat Sep 01, 2012 02:27 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-09-01 23:41:03 fixed!
martyCTT wrote:

I love the smell of new tap shoes in the morning :)

Skype jam session would be hilarious and awesome. I could ustream one of my tap classes for you Majere. Oklahoma sounds like it would be a black hole unless you lived near OKC. Oklahoma City University looks like it does open classes on the weekends. Diana Brooks has chops, so if you could get a class with her that would be great. Looks like she is really the only "tap dancers tap dancer" on faculty.

Vent:

Picking out costumes for kids... /facepalm. Everything is so ugly or slutty now a days. I guess I was spoiled growing up because my sister was a seamstress and so she would design all our costumes.

I'm in the Tulsa area. Lot's of studios, just not focused on tap. The studio I grew up in is the best for tap. But I think I have outgrown them. When I was invited back for that dance I mentioned, I learned it as we did it(they do the same finale dance every year). So, I had only danced one small section of it several years ago and I had to jump in and learn the whole thing. No breaking it down, I just had to do it. Luckily after two rehearsals I got it. It's not a hard dance but they were super surprised at how quickly I learned it (I'm sure I left out a few heels or something).

An audience member uploaded it to youtube: www.youtube.com . . .

Costuming, I hate picking out costumes. :)
By tappingitout
On Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:02 PM
Edited by tappingitout (203130) on 2012-09-02 00:30:42 typo
yes! why are costumes today either awfully tacky, cheesy, or skanky - even costumes intended for what I consider young kiddos? gah!
By Sumayah
On Sun Sep 02, 2012 05:39 AM
Vent: I need new tap shoes like yesterday. My shoes are literally duct taped together. I think I got my money's worth from the Capezio M60's I bought in 2005. I want new tap shoes, but I don't have the money to drop on a nice pair. I had K360's before this pair that I wore out, so I'm super spoiled and don't want an average tap shoe. :( I could salvage my sound boards and taps, but I'm in desperate need of new oxfords (with at least a double build up).

Vent 2: Well, she's really great at jazz so I'm putting her int he intermediate tap class. Um, no, Mrs. Mom, tap is soooooo different from everything else. I don't care if she can fouette to the moon, she's still a beginning tapper.

Concerning costumes, unless it's little kid classes, we don't order costumes for tap. This last recital, all the kids wore day glo and neon tops and accessories (shoelaces, bracelets, hair bows) with jeans, denim shorts or black hot shorts. And that was the 9-11 year old class. The older group was more pedestrian than that. Can't imagine picking out something for the teen classes. Too many sparkles!
By KLynnR1103
On Thu Nov 01, 2012 05:09 AM
Vent-I need to tap shoes and the glue isn't holding out much longer :( They're a great pair of shoes but capezio no longer makes the type I have..I know soon I will have to completely retire them. They are over 10 years old, probably somewhere between 10-15 years old.

Encourage- I don't mind putting the worn out tap shoes on every time because it inspires me to know how long they've kept up and reminds me of all the great memories from the past!
By messedame
On Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:10 PM
I actually just made a post about this accident of mine. I've taken jazz and ballet for about 6 months, and just started tap two weeks ago. I love it, and it came very easily to me, the moves and speed, I was learning everything rapidly, I did not have that luck with jazz or ballet!

Anyways I can't afford anymore different styles of dance classes, so I've sort of learned tap on my own until I have more cash. So I wanted to try to do a turn in my tap shoes because it looks really cool when I see dancers do it. I practiced and did it great several times.

Well today I went to do one, and my tap shoe on the supporting leg slid backwards and I fell hard! I caught myself with my hands, and now my left wrist is really red, bruised, and swollen, hurts a lot too!

Now I'm scared to try a turn again in tap shoes. :[. I know it sounds stupid, I don't want to give up, but I just got freaked out. :/.
By messedame
On Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:13 PM
One more tap story to share that I forgot. It's a good lesson for beginners! You know how everyone stresses warming up before practicing any kind of dance style? Well I took that kind of serious with jazz and ballet, but now with tap. I figured since I wasn't really stretching my flexibility or anything I'd be fine.

Well about a week after I started practicing tap at home, on a Tuesday, I practiced for about 45 minutes. Not intense tapping, just a regular level. Well once I took my hard shoes off the ball of my foot and underneath my big toe hurt so bad! It was miserable to walk and I couldn't practice tap, jazz, or ballet for two days.

So now I warm up for at least 10 minutes NO MATTER WHAT!
By Ogracem77
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 07:30 AM
Well if you want to hear complaints from me, read this! So, I just started dance this June, and I absolutely love it!!! I could do ballet, jazz, lyrical everyday!! And then there is tap. Tap and I have a complicated relationship... When I get to class and start dancing I feel like a failure and that I'm never going to be able to be as good as even the 8-11 year olds.. But, once I get home, by the next day I really just want to go tap dance!!! It's so weird....

ReplySendWatch