Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Tilts!
By dancer7210
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 08:09 PM

I have seen lots of people with amazing tilts and I have no idea how they do them so well! I usually fall over when i try to lean to the side a bit to get my leg all the way up and i dont think that I am doing it right! If anyone has any picture of a good tilt or how to do them please comment!

4 Replies to Tilts!

re: Tilts!
By DefyingGravityPremium member
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 08:20 PM
I definitely read the title as, "Tits!" and the first sentence as, "I have seen lots of people with amazing tits..."

I need to read more carefully.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 08:51 PM
Hm. Do you mean "backcatch"? if so, there are quite a few posts on here about doing a successful backcatch.

Just an idea, did you try the "tilt" while you were lying on the ground, because the way I think you are trying to do it, you haven't quite got the "stretch" to get your foot up to your hand.

Would it be remiss to suggest that you first work on EASING your stretch so that you could do the first part, have your foot go into your hand well, and, working on strengthening your leg muscles so that you could HOLD this tilt, and THEN, try to do the tilt standing up?

is that any help?

Have you looked at the stickies in Jazz General?

maybe this search would help?
www.dance.net . . .

www.dance.net . . .

Okay, I get it. answers.yahoo.com . . .

I'm wondering, then, if you concentrated your efforts on stretching and strengthening your legs, if that wouldn't help you get that "tilt."

Hey, I learned something. Good!

I thought a "jazz tilt" was mainly a riff done in Jazz music.

:) Shadow.
By dancer7210
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 09:30 PM
No it isnt any of those I know how to do them..... but if you look up dance tilt there is a bunch of pictures of people doing them ....... I know flexibility isnt a problem because I can do them leaning on a wall if i use one of my hands to put it there I can hold it but I can not if I am not against a wall or use my hands to put my leg there!
By hummingbird
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:59 PM
It's an over split whilst the body is tilted towards the floor, otherwise known as a crotchment if the step is performed to the wrong angle.

If you have the flexibility but can't control the movement then you need core strength. That's the only way to utilise flexibility.

ReplySendWatch