Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Homegrown Democrat (karma: 1)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sat Mar 16, 2013 04:11 AM
Great to hear the good news! I hate waiting for Dr reports. Nerve racking!

I don't usually have a problem peeling boiled eggs, but I'd rather not peel 4 dozen. The smell would do me in.

kk~
By leogirlPremium member Comments: 637, member since Thu Aug 15, 2002
On Sat Mar 16, 2013 01:31 PM
I am also so relieved to hear the good news about your daughter and son. I've been keeping you and your family in my thoughts, and will continue to send warm fuzzies! I hope you can relax and catch your breath.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Sat Mar 16, 2013 09:49 PM
I'm so happy that the news is good for both your daughter and your son. And what a wonderful grandmother you are to indulge your grandson by making all those deviled eggs!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:45 AM
I, too, am glad to hear the good news about your son and daughter.

It's been a long time since I boiled eggs but I remember that the way to make the shell separate is to not let them cool slowly but put them immediately in cold water. Or maybe it's the opposite.

OK -- I googled it and came up with the following instructions from a blogger who experimented with a number of methods. I remembered correctly about the cold water.
thestonesoup.com . . .#

1. Place eggs in a saucepan large enough so they can be well covered with water.
2. Cover with cold water and add 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
3. Bring to a gentle simmer
4. Cook at the gentle simmer for 8 minutes
5. Drain and transfer to a bowl filled with cold water. Allow to cool.
6. Bang each end on a hard surface to crack.
7. Remove a little circle of shell from each end
8. Put your mouth to one hole and blow really hard
9. If the egg hasn’t popped out, use your fingers to gently separate the shell and membrane from the egg itself.
10. Admire your handiwork and possibly give the egg a little rinse if someone else is going to eat it.

I tried eggs of different ages. Unfortunately I couldn’t get my hands on any straight from the chicken coop so didn’t have access to super fresh eggs. I didn’t notice any real difference between fresher and older eggs....I did find that the bicarb soda made both the younger and older eggs marginally easier to peel so am going to stick with that tip from now on.
The blog also mentioned she'd seen a demo of the blowing method where the chef was able to blow the egg right out of the shell! She wasn't able to achieve that but found that it did help.

I would think that thoroughly rinsing at the end would be mandatory, especially since you've been down with the flu! :P
re: Homegrown Democrat
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:59 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-03-17 01:02:39 oops
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-03-17 01:05:41 I thought I fixed that.... !!!
Thanks for all the well wishes and egg advice.

The last time I had the "divot" experience the eggs were so fresh they were practically still warm. Really... I think eggs keep for six weeks, and the date on the carton was six weeks away. This time I bought them with a date three weeks away and kept them in my own refrigerator until 11 days before the "Best if used by" date. I do think it made a difference.

I've used the same method for decades, the so called cold water method. I put the eggs in a kettle and cover them with enough tap water to cover the eggs with at least two inches of water beyond the top of the eggs. I bring the water to a full boil, then removed the pan from the heat, cover it, and set the timer for 20 minutes. As soon as the timer goes off, I pour out the hot water and fill the kettle with cold water to cool the eggs. I've found this is the most important part in getting the shells off easily. Right now, I don't care if I never see another hard boiled egg.

Although....

Last year my oldest daughter made adorable deviled eggs for Easter that looked like hatching chicks and I may make a plate of them this year if she doesn't volunteer. I found this picture with an "angry bird" in the middle of the plate and it made me laugh out loud. I kind of know the feeling!
Image hotlink - 'http://myweddingreceptionideas.com/images/products/email_campaigns/newsletters/2012/march/angry-birds-deviled-eggs_tn.jpg'

At the moment, I'm making soft (green) pretzels for the kids' Sunday school class tomorrow. The go on Sunday now instead of after school so they don't usually have snack but since it's St. Patrick's Day and Lent, it seemed like a chance to get the pretzels in there after conceding to the Devil Dogs last year.

Funny, I just read in the paper today that Devil Dogs and Twinkies may hit the market again this summer. Little Debbie bought the rights to the product lines since Hostess went under. I wonder if they are going to taste the same, or if they are going to have that Little Debbie mystery preservative aftertaste. My husband swears Ring Dings are not as good as they were when he was a kid and I suspect he's right. Most of the cellophane wrapped stuff is built to last for months. On one hand...yuck, but on the other...it is almost 2:30 and I already fear these green pretzels are going to lose something by the time the sun rises.

We went to see, Dancing At Lughnasa , tonight and although it was a great production, the piece was as depressing as all of Ireland. en.wikipedia.org . . . I'm glad we went, but right now I wish we'd gone to see it last weekend instead so I could be sleeping instead of baking. As soon as the current batch is done, I'm going to refrigerate the rest of the dough and hope I can bake it tomorrow when my youngest grandson arrives for corned beef and cabbage and some St. Patrick's Day visiting. It will be something fun for him to do while waiting for his cousins to be "released" from the life support vigil their other grandparents force them to maintain.

The timer to buzzing...so....off to bed.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone. If you haven't visited the DDN party, please drop by. www.dance.net . . . There are some great dances posted, some fun food, drinks, artifacts, parade photos, and lots of other great stuff. Now that "the big day" is finally here, I suspect there will be a few toasts as well. I LOVE DDN

Keep On Dancing*
Image hotlink - 'https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSidslW1EH0AziFGNEnrep0uqYWXpIasAZVwhbQuRfpWULApBjDHQ'
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sun Mar 17, 2013 07:21 AM
I used to work in a deli where I peeled about a billion eggs every day. Older eggs are DEFINITELY easier to peel. Get them immediately out of the hot water into an ice bath with LOTS of ice (fyi - they don't have to be completely cold before you cool them). I've tried that blowing method, and it just made me feel like I was going to have a seizure. My preferred peeling method is to crush the egg (gently) on its side and then roll the egg back and forth until the shell is completely and uniformly shattered. This also helps separate the membrane from the albumen - which is the real problem. Then peel the eggs under running water. If you do all that and the shell still sticks, there's really nothing you can do. Holy cow, I just did a little calculation, and I think I cracked around 50,000 eggs while I worked at that job. eek. Actually, it was two separate jobs (deli & catering), but at the catering company, Corinna was in charge of eggs, and I only helped out when I was feeling generous. Which, y'know, probably wasn't all that often. lol.
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:40 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-03-21 22:46:09 but butt
I've been so busy I haven't even had a chance to get back to finish off the St. Patrick's Day Party here on DDN...although I will.

The festivities in the real world (or rather, where I live)continue through this weekend, so rather than lock the thread or let it die of neglect, I'm going to resuscitate it for one last blast. Not tonight though...too tired and I have yet another long day at the medical center starting early tomorrow.

Even though I should be in bed, I had to write about this before I forget.

There is a lovely 14 year old who dances at my studio. She is sweet and kind and her feelings are often hurt, not just for herself, but for others. She tends to be shy and never, and I mean N E V E R says anything mean, harsh, sarcastic, or disrespectful.

Tonight, before the other girls arrived, she shared this with me while we were alone. "There is this girl in my class who doesn't like another girl, my friend, because everyone else likes her. Today she went up to her and said, "You know you have a big butt, don't you? I mean, you can't see what we can, but from behind, your butt is huge." She went on to say her friend "turned red and looked like she was going to cry." She said she felt awful for her friend. "So I said, well...I'd rather have a big butt than a big mouth." She then confided that she hoped the mean girl figured out that she was insulting her, insinuating that she had a big mouth. (!)

I know it doesn't sound like much of a come back, but for this child, it was HUGE! I just love it when nice kids stick up for others. xoxo to my darling little dancer.

I've had such a run of full and complicated days, I almost let this moment slip away but this appeared on fb...
Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/224010_469919356413122_618322478_n.jpg'

And to think...I was almost ready to take a break from it. Maybe not a complete waste of time, after all. It made me smile, thinking of my darling little 14 year old student.

Keep On Dancing*
On Sat Mar 23, 2013 03:39 AM
Perhaps this is overstating the obvious...but my love affair with red shoes continues, so...

Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/581565_438041139611426_1420928027_n.jpg'

Keep On Dancing*
On Mon Mar 25, 2013 04:20 AM
Exhausting weekend, following an exhausting week.

I've been working on three separate "wishes". One is still in progress, one was "delivered" this afternoon (more details later in the week)and one was completed yesterday.

The most challenging was a wish assigned in December. The other wish granter had to travel over an hour and a half from his home and the weather has been wintery (imagine that?!). We had to redo a good deal of the paperwork and arrange an extra face to face with the child and her family. Luckily, he retired from a profession where he was particularly skilled at interviewing children and his assistance was a God send. When it finally looked like things were going to happen, we planned to do a "dry run" at the mall where the shopping spree (child's wish)was to take place. He already arranged lunch at the restaurant she wanted, which was not easy because this place never, never, NEVER, allows reservations. He spoke to three different managers before his personal charm kicked in sufficiently but once it did, things started looking hopeful.

Last Saturday, late in the day, his son in law called me to let me know he'd suffered a massive heart attack and did not survive. I was devastated. He was such a wonderful man. Kind, smart, hard working, and insightful. This must be a great loss to his family. He was such a dedicated father and grandfather. It is also a great loss to Make A Wish. Most of the volunteers are wonderful people, but this guy was gifted.

Selfishly, his passing was also a great loss to me. (After all, this is a diary, therefore all about me, me, me!) The particular challenges of this wish were many and we probably spent 50 hours (or more) discussing how to handle the many details as they arose. Our plan to visit the stores and make a plan for the actual granting of this wish fell to me alone, and of course, my week was already loaded. Somehow... it all came together on Saturday and I think everything went great. I do believe his hand was on the whole event from beginning to end, putting the power of the supernatural on the job when needed. I can not think of any other reason things went so well.

There are lots of details I'll write about later, after I get all the paperwork filed, but for now I feel so grateful to him and all the other many individuals who worked so hard and gave of themselves to make this child's wish come true. This is exactly what we mean when we say, "Share The Power of A Wish." It goes beyond the real world and takes on a life of its own, magnifying all that is good and hopeful. I expect to spend at least three days writing many, MANY thank you notes.

I have another long day at the children's hospital tomorrow with my own daughter, so I'll write about the details later in the week. But for now, Rest In Peace, Walter. Heaven is lucky to have you. xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
re: Homegrown Democrat (karma: 2)
On Mon Mar 25, 2013 09:42 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-03-25 23:11:35 typo
About the Wish.

MAW sent a black limousine to the teenager's house before 10AM to pick up her, mom, and older brother. It was so sad when they asked about Walter. "Where's Walter? He was calling just about every day but we haven't heard from him this week." I tried to be vague, said Amanda was going to take his place shopping, but there was no avoiding the truth as they insisted on asking questions. What horrible news to have to share.

"I'm sure he'll be with us all day. My father's mother died when she was only 27, and he believes his life has been guided by her every moment since she went to heaven. Walter was so invested in your wish, I know he isn't going to miss a minute of it today." They nodded their agreement, and I fought back tears for the first time of many that day.

Our first stop was ULTA. A lovely employee, Marla, came in early to help the Wish Kids choose the best products for herself, and presented her with a pretty pink basket with gifts. She did her makeup, making very natural selections, complimenting her and smiling often. A group of girls from a local college surprised her with a bunch of balloons,and scouted out hair appliances for her to choose from while Marla was working on her make up. After the make over was complete, the college girls took the balloons out to the limo and decorated the interior while Marla helped her select the things she wanted to buy. In addition to the curling iron and flat iron, she bought a beautiful brush set, a mirror, hairbands, nail polish, perfume, and a ton of make up and other "products", and a multi tiered make up chest to keep everything organized. She said, "Wow...I look like the popular girls at my school." (Second time I cried...)

After ULTA, we went to Best Buy for a new X Box. It was so cute watching her get into the Limo with the chauffeur holding the door open. He was a lovely man, from England, and she and her brother were just ticked to death at his charming accent. After Best Buy, she went to Macy's for new bedding. Heather, the manager working Saturday, came out to see her, wish her well, and present her with two $25./gift certificates to spend while she was shopping. We filled the trunk of the limo before going over to Olive Garden for lunch.

After lunch she and her mom selected two huge arms full of new clothing at Old Navy, and then went back to the mall. She bought two pairs of UGGS and a pair of pink sneakers, then asked to go to Bath and Body Works, where she'd never been before. On the way to BBW, we stopped at Things Remembered and she selected a jewelry box. I stayed to fill out the engraving forms while the other wish granter took them all down to Bath and Body Works where the manager Alison gave her a very nice discount on her order. With time running out, we took her to the jewelry counter at Sears (her request) where the manager had someone waiting to assist her. She bought a few rings, and a silver necklace that said, "Princess." They also gave her a very generous discount on her purchases.

She was exhausted. Her mom suggested they go out and wait in the limo while we finished paying for everything and picked up her jewelry box which had been engraved with her name and, "Wishes do come true. " 3/23/2013.

Due to the generosity of many people all day long, she had some money left over, so we purchased a gift card at Macy's to go with her $50./worth of gift coupons and gave it to her when we rejoined them in the limo.

It was a remarkable day.

To the outside observer, her wish may have seemed unspectacular. It wasn't. For the very first time in her life, she was able to buy things her family couldn't buy for her, and "feel like the girls in school." When she wakes up in her room tomorrow, she will be surrounded by pretty quilts, sheets, pillows, all her new "girly stuff", a big bunch of balloons, and a whole ton of new clothes. Her new necklace, "Princess", will remind her of how special she felt all day long when she was being chauffeured door to door in a limousine.

She looked very happy, and exhausted, when she arrived home that evening. And so did her mom. I cried for the third time.

It was so sad that Walter, who worked so, so hard on this wish, couldn't be there. But honestly, I did feel him with us all day.

Hugs to all
(and you too, Walter xoxo)

Keep On Dancing*
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 05:43 PM
There are a few good things to report.

The wish we delivered on Sunday, included a box of "countdown" gifts for the little boy to open, one a day, until the day they leave on their trip. I had an e mail from his mom the next day with a picture of him holding his first gift, and one the next day too. She was sad to report that her grandfather had passed away, and it was nice to have these presents for her little boy to distract from the sadness of the day. She hopes to send us more pictures as the countdown continues. This makes me very, VERY happy. The other volunteer and I spent a great deal of time communicating about this wish enhancement and it is so nice to know this family is taking pleasure in our efforts.

Another good wish "thing". A family at my studio has a photography business and the mom is going to do a mini "photo shoot" of the 14 year old who had the shopping spree in her bedroom, all decked out in the pretty new stuff. I'll get a nice frame, and we can add the photographs to her newly decorated room. There are so many nice people in the world and I am very blessed to know so many of them.

We went to a local university last night to see a dance production. We took 11 kids and parents and went for ice cream sodas afterwards. It was great!

Time to go boil some eggs. I thought I was done with this for a while, but it just isn't Easter without Easter eggs. The up side? Don't have to peel them!

Keep On Dancing*

I'm off to bed.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 05:54 PM
I just had to pop in here and say I really admire what you do. Giving your time to kids like that, it's amazing!

That girl's wish made me both sad and hopeful. So simple and sincere, to just feel like one of the popular girls. I'm so glad so many businesses were able to work together to make that happen.
re: Homegrown Democrat (karma: 2)
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 05:30 AM
I am too tired to write much, but the last few days have been so "action packed" I have to list the highlights or they may slip away.

I am having a run of frustrating days at the studio. At first, I just let it all slide as I've come to believe that any day that does not involve cancer is at least tolerable, but after another round today I'm feeling bitchy and cranky and once again considering reconsidering my life as a SO. The good things I'd like to write about, show finished (mostly) major decisions like costumes made (mostly)and venue secured (or so I thought)aren't feeling so hot at the moment, and the other petty annoyances will not get better by complaining about them, so perhaps I won't record details after all. Suffice to say, I'm sick of being taken advantage of by people incapable of understanding just how lucky they are to have me to take advantage of!

My car is another annoyance I don't have the nerve to complain about. I am extremely blessed to own a very nice car, still under warranty. How dare I complain? It would seem petty to bitch about the fact that the nearest dealership is an hour away and their service sucks, that after keeping me waiting for hours, told me they'd have to give me a ride home (just what I want in my present state of mind... a road trip with a stranger)because they didn't have a loaner available and when I had my husband drive up to pick me up, and drive me back the next day after they called to say it was ready, a whole collection of warning lights went off on the way home, making it unwise to drive it all weekend. Very petty. It is back at the dealer now.... two more hours wasted, and no one really knows what's wrong with it, but they would like to sell me an extended warranty for only $2,000. I'm just not in the mood for any of this. And it is extremely small stuff to be irritated about. Yet...I bitch, therefore I am. One of the few consolations in owning an overpriced car that seems to attract speeding tickets is the security of knowing it will be there when I need it. Or not, it seems.

My wedding anniversary... a big one...was Saturday. My husband bought me some nice roses, some expensive Champagne, and another "non event" passed. Again, a long marriage should be considered a beautiful blessing. Nothing to complain about. So why am I feeling like "till death do us part" sounds just like a life sentence? Perhaps it has something to do with his aging parent, self centered and demanding as well as unappreciative,or his choices that annoy me almost as much as my choices annoy him. (this is my twisted POV, I know...) Like my frustrations with the dance studio, and my car, I suppose there is a certain mixed blessing in being so "lucky". It must be some kind of spring fever making me want to run away and call "do overs". Shame on me.

The final act of this play of frustrations came a little while ago when I opened an e mail from a wish mom who started by saying she'd been crying for hours. Her husband's employer scheduled him to work next week when they are supposed to be going on their child's wish trip. Although he gave them the dates just as soon as the reservations were made, they said they are not required to let him have the time off and if he takes it anyway, they will fire him. I am so angry on behalf of this poor family I want to go down to the casino where he works and make a total fool of myself, which I'm sure won't help his case for future employment. Needless to say, I won't do this, but W T F !!! Just how mean can this place be? She wants to know if they can transfer the tickets so her mom can go along to help her with the two kids, ages 2 and 4. One is a wish kid... read, needy kid, and oh yeah... the other is sick too.

A wish is a once in a lifetime thing. And let's face it... no one gets a wish because their young life is going well. This poor kid can't have his dad on his wish because black jack players can't possibly be asked to crowd into one less table? And instead of having a nice family experience before this 4 year old's next surgery, his mom has to face this disappointment and all the hard work that goes with? I am almost afraid to wonder about the state of things in the world where something like this is just a big shrug. I want to cry for them. This is just heartbreaking.

The other many irritations are pointless to list. I should focus on the fact that my daughter is seeing better and actually went to visit her friends at her college tonight, that my son does not require radiation or chemo and will continue to heal from his massive surgeries, and that my car is at least paid for, even if I can't use it. (I'd be so pissed if I was paying a monthly lease payment on a car I couldn't drive....) Perhaps the parents who keep "forgetting" to pay their recital fees and tuition are actually helping me find the courage to make changes, and perhaps the other idiots of my acquaintance (at least 4 or 5 of the greatest offenders) will keep their distance for a few months, now that they've inflicted themselves on me so forcefully these past few weeks. Pollyanna reminds me to look at things in a "glad" way and perhaps she's right.

I'm so glad cancer is keeping it's distance at the moment.
I'm so glad my daughter is focused on getting back to college when her sight returns.
I'm so glad I'm not broken down on the side of the road someplace in an old, unreliable money sucking car and that my car will eventually be back, almost good as new, and that I can afford all of this.
I'm so glad I'm in a generally rotten state of mind so that tomorrow I'll be ready to kick ass and take names down at the casino if this dad isn't told he can take his sick little boy on his wish trip after all.

Yup... Pollyanna is right. It's all how you look at it.

I'll be better tomorrow. Sweet dreams, my dear ones.

Keep On Dancing*
On Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:30 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-04-14 00:32:59
Notes to self:
Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/483558_10151408334748908_406174961_n.jpg'

I should be sleeping.... time to give up fighting it and give it another try.
Keep On Dancing*
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:13 AM
I had the pleasure of seeing a local production of,Hair this weekend.

When I was very young, I had the original Broadway Cast album and played it constantly. There isn't a note or lyric I couldn't recognize if I were on a quiz show like, Name That Tune. A few years ago, when it was revived on Broadway, a girl at my studio had tickets and actually spent the night camping out in Central Park...some kind of promotion for the show. I was taking a college class at the time, and actually did a paper on three revivals that were current; Bye Bye Birdie, West Side Story, and Hair, and based on the research I did for the paper, I decided that of the three, West Side Story was the one I should spend my money on. Now, I wish I'd chosen Hair.

The local production was impressive. The kids who did it were all young amateurs, passionate, believable, and brought tears to my eyes, much to my surprise. It was so well directed and choreographed and so well rehearsed and executed, it was easy to get lost in the piece and the music.

Interestingly, when this musical was so hot on Broadway when I was a kid, I'm not sure I understood it! Although I could still recite some lines, and sing most of the songs, the evolution of the revolution and the ultimate death of the "nation" had to have been lost on my 14 year old self. This weekend, when the cast sang, Flesh Failures (Facing A Dying Nation) I cried uncontrollably for a full 30 seconds before I got a grip on myself. The young man who played Claude was a genius beyond his years, and his sweet innocence and youth made it all the more poignant. The casting was brilliant.

Where did that breakdown come from? I can guess. Boston. 12 years of war. The fact that the players were the same age as I was when the piece was new. Vietnam. All of it.... and more. Interestingly, before the weekend was over, humans being what they are, the whole idea of Peace, Love, Happiness, etc., was exhausted. Once again, life imitates art, or perhaps art demonstrates life. Regardless, the people who worked so hard to produce this piece enriched the lives of many this weekend. I was one of many blessed by this effort.

Let the Sunshine In.

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 PM
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/526829_519583118080572_886552124_n.png'

I know why there are wars.
Because it is easier to go to war than to live in peace.

Yet, humans seldom consider that usually it is much easier to start a war than to finish one.
And war, on any scale, is not healthy for children or other living things.

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue May 07, 2013 12:00 AM
^My daughter in law had another birthday, April 30th. She was born 32 years ago, and without extreme medical intervention, would have died two months after her 30th birthday. Interestingly, this is the anniversary of my own "First Holy Communion". I thought of this all day Sunday, April 28th, as her daughter received this same sacrament so many years later. Sadly, her mother could not be there. She remains in her bed, tethered to machines, blind and unable to speak a single word or move a single muscle. Even more sadly, the family members who gathered to "celebrate" this moment with her young daughter in church did not speak to one another. I am almost physically ill with the hypocrisy of all of this.

Is there something more tragic than dying young? I'd vote for growing old on life support. Imagine what it must be like to see everyone you loved hating each other in a way you never believed any of them could hate anyone and not be able to utter a single word. I hope our belief that she "isn't there" is true. No one deserves this kind of "life".

I visited a wish family last week who's child has an incurable disease and it is likely that they will have to make these kinds of choices for their child. Sadly, this little boy had an older brother who died from the same genetic illness several years ago. At the time, when given the option of a food tube and other "extraordinary" measures, they were told, "This will extend his life." At the time, the child was 8 years old. Who wouldn't want to give a child a longer childhood? They said yes.

Six years later, the mom now says she wished she hadn't done it. "It only prolonged his death. He wasn't ____ (child's name)anymore. He didn't even look like himself. I didn't hear his voice for four years. I should have let him go in peace." I suspect they will make a different choice for their younger son if it comes to that. I pray that they will get a well deserved miracle and they won't have to. My heart just breaks for them all.

On a somewhat happier note, the little boy is adorable. He wants to go to Nickelodeon Studios and meet Patrick, of Sponge Bob Square Pants fame. We always ask, "If for some reason you can't have this wish, is there something else you'd like?" He was quiet so I added, "Like suppose Patrick is away from home or busy when you get there. Is there something else you'd like for a wish?"

He looked confused for a moment, then said, "You see the thing is this...PATRICK DOESN'T WORK.... he has NO JOB....NO PLACE TO GO.... he won't be busy, he doesn't have anything else to do."

So, fingers crossed that his wish comes true.

We could all use the power of a wish to bring a bit of joy into the world.

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue May 07, 2013 10:31 PM
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/21203_10152779985485487_678904699_n.jpg'

Less than three weeks to recital tech rehearsal. I've avoided writing too much about this whole "recital season" because it is so stressful and no good will come from me ranting about it. It only makes me relive some of the infuriating moments and keeps me from focusing on creative and necessary solutions. It is my own fault....some things are just part of all that goes into recital but some of it is unnecessarily difficult because once again I am a gullible idiot who can't say no. Regardless, I've been trying to keep most of it to myself. Today could have been another wickedly stressful day EXCEPT something wonderful happened!

One of the moms at my studio handed me a card today, and inside was a lovely note. She said all kinds of nice, flattering, things, and as corny as it sounds, it just made my day. I didn't read it until my second class was over but when I did...it was better than ice cream. I was two weeks into a huge pity party with myself, "Why do I do these things? Nobody notices or cares...I'm going to die with a long list of things I should have done instead of this....and so on. This thoughtful mom did more for my mental health than therapy or Lexapro ever did! It was both humbling and uplifting. I hope she wins the lottery!

When I got home, I made an apple pie with a butter crumb crust. It smells divine. I think I'll call the grandchildren in the morning and see if they want to come over for pie and coffee for breakfast. This is a deep dark secret.... I actually let my grandchildren have half a cup of coffee WITH SUGAR and half a cup of milk. (HEY!>>>It's not illegal...yet.)

I am counting the days for the school year to end. Hopefully this summer will be better than last and we can plan an outing every week. We'll see.

Sweet dreams all my little lovelies.

Keep On Dancing*
On Wed May 08, 2013 09:30 AM
You are NOT a gullible idiot; you are clearly a kind and empathetic SO and I am so glad one of your dance moms took the time to tell you how much she appreciates all you do.

I absolutely love that photo!
On Mon May 13, 2013 10:47 PM
I should be sleeping. I wish I was sleeping. I am not sleeping.

I wonder what that would look like in Latin?

Something to ponder while I give it another try.
Image hotlink - 'https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzBr7LCjz5mnBneADun-l77fmmfG-Ekhqy7LHUVevMir2jt3cD'
If this is true, I hope it's a good dream and "the dreamer" is happy to be visiting with me.

Something else to ponder...

Keep On Dancing*
By leogirlPremium member Comments: 637, member since Thu Aug 15, 2002
On Tue May 14, 2013 07:23 AM
Edited by leogirl (36094) on 2013-05-14 07:24:42
Oh my goodness, your note about giving your grandchildren milky coffee with sugar made me remember going to chiropractor appointments with my mom, and her letting me get coffee from the dispenser they had in the waiting room, and then doctor it with cream and sugar. Then, we sat together waiting for Mom's appointment, drinking our coffee! I called it Chiropractor Coffee, and felt so special drinking it with Mom. Thanks for the jolt of great memory! Jolt, coffee, hahaha. Done with the corny jokes for the day.
On Wed May 22, 2013 06:47 PM
It is with profound sadness I report the passing of Kate, ne Mary Kate, wife of my son, mother of three beautiful children.

May she rest in peace.

Keep On Dancing*
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Wed May 22, 2013 07:12 PM
I am so, so sorry. My condolences to your family... You will all be in my prayers.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed May 22, 2013 07:40 PM
Hugs, Christine. I am so sorry.

kk~
On Wed May 22, 2013 08:24 PM
Oh, Christine, I am so very sorry. You and your family will be in my thoughts and my prayers. Hugs.
Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch