Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Advice
By shadowsplice5
On Fri Sep 14, 2012 04:58 AM

Hey. I need some advice, as my jazz class was recently canceled. In my studio, for jazz, there are levels 1-5, then intermediate, int/adv and advanced. I have had around 5 years of jazz (not a ton, but I've done a LOT of classes), and I was recently put into a jazz 5 class for this year (I was supposed to be in intermediate this year). I was not very upset, as this was just one level down, but my class got cancelled from too little people (we only had 6), so we all had to move classes. Most of the other people in my group have had less experience than me, with one person having no experience whatsoever, but they all went and tried the higher level jazz (intermediate/advanced). Originally we were all supposed to try the lower level class, but that one got cancelled too, so we were all supposed to try a level 2 class. I went to the level two class (I got offered the higher class, but figured I would try this one), and it is a class for people who have never done jazz and mainly never taken dance before. I have about 10 years of dance in me, with 10 years of ballet, 5 years of jazz, and 8 years of modern, and more. I don't claim to be a good jazz dancer by any means, but in your opinion, does this sound like a level 2 class is much too easy for me? I'm mainly worried about not learning anything, as these people are taking the class now that I took the first time I ever took jazz. I also feel as if it might be rude to ask to be moved up, as I was offered to move up and I decided to "follow the rules" and go to the lower class.

3 Replies to Advice

re: Advice
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 14, 2012 08:30 AM
The best dancers know that they should work just as hard on the 'easy' stuff as on the hard stuff, because there is always something we can improve on with our basic technique. So, if you decide to stay in this class, use it as an opportunity to improve your basic technique, which will improve your dancing as a whole.

I think it would be fine for you to ask to move up, though. Just explain why you've changed your mind, they should understand. There's no harm in asking.
By Dances4LifePremium member
On Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:33 PM
Do you think you could take on two classes? I used to always take an "easy" lower level class to work out the kinks in some of the basic movements so I could concentrate on new stuff in my advanced class. I would improve drastically over the year. This might end up making you a better dancer.
By dancer7210
On Fri Sep 14, 2012 09:36 PM
I see no problem in asking to be moved up! The class of new people are most likely learning the extrem basics and you were 3 levels higher then them, but you were only one level lower then the other class. The worst that could happen is that they say no!

ReplySendWatch