Forum: Teaching Assistants

Ballet/Jazz Ages for Children ages 1-3
By lillianj
On Sun Sep 16, 2012 09:30 PM

I have no idea what to do. I made a warm-up that includes hips, jumps, plies etc. however after finding out there will be 1 year olds I do not know if they will be able to do it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

12 Replies to Ballet/Jazz Ages for Children ages 1-3

re: Ballet/Jazz Ages for Children ages 1-3
By pinktights27
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 01:04 AM
Personally I have never heard of ballet and esp. jazz for 1 year olds....only Mommy and Me, so basically things that work their gross motor skills, although if Mommy (or Daddy, or whoever) isn't there to help, they will be A LOT to handle.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 01:45 AM
Wow, do they do it that young? We have mommy and me, and then have classes, starting age three.
By stargaze
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:49 AM
I have Mommy and Me 8 Week sessions for 20 months to 2 1/2. I only accept potty trained and 2 1/2-3 years for regular classes. I would suggest adding a few directional movement songs such as Patty Shukla, Greg and Steve, The Wiggles etc. Interlace those songs with your BASIC lesson plan.

Best of luck! Tough age range...Can you suggest a Mommy and Me class for the 1-2 year olds? And a separate 3 year old class? There is a HUGE difference between the gross motor capabilities of a 3 year to that of a 1 year old!
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:05 AM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2012-09-17 03:07:23
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2012-09-17 04:41:15
Do they have to be that young? Because you're right that 1 year olds probably won't be able to do it. But alas, good luck :)

If you can't change the vast age difference, I agree with stargaze that directional movement songs will be the way to go for the most part.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 18, 2012 02:47 AM
One? Are you kidding me?! We don't even start mommy and me until age two, and we don't allow anyone younger than 3 in a regular class. What's next? Dancing in the womb?
By lillianj
On Wed Sep 19, 2012 09:14 PM
I agree! It is very young but unfortunately I am not able to change the age range for the class. Hopefully they will be able to do my lesson plan, but I will probably need to make some changes...
By shmcdona
On Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:29 PM
Couldn't even fathom teaching dance to a 1 year old. I am amazed its even offered. Is this an established studio? If so they should have advice for you on teaching this. Sounds crazy to me!
By raynikathryn
On Thu Sep 20, 2012 05:35 PM
The only advise I can give for such a young age group (crazy in my option) is lots of miming games. Perhaps princess theme...little girls eat that up! I had a class of young girl (3) who I handed out crowns to at the beginning of class and told them we had to act like princess while we had them on in class. If one of them misbehaved I would say something like "is that how a princess acts?" And if they kept misbehaving I would take their crown away and ultimately make them sit if it continued Good luck! I cant even imagine.
By kaygirlPremium member
On Thu Sep 20, 2012 06:49 PM
Wow. I would agree that if this is an established studio they should be giving you at least a basic lesson plan to work off of. Do lots and lots of action songs, miming, simple props, and best of luck to you!!!!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 20, 2012 07:16 PM
Well, I am hoping this is a short class? Like 30 minutes?

There is a huge difference between a 1 y/old and a 3 y/old. If you aim for what the 3 y/old can do the 1 y/olds will be lost. If you do the opposite the 3 y/olds will get bored.

I say do alot of action songs. Just make it a creative movement class.

I personally don't like to start jazz until they are 7 or 8.
By Stareblueeyes22
On Fri Sep 21, 2012 02:36 AM
Um, good luck! I had a group in Mommy & Me last year, so 15mts to 2.5 yrs and several of the 15 mts weren't walking yet! or if they were, weren't so stable... I wish I had some suggestions for you, but I'm just going to wish you luck and say remember, at that age, they are learning how to be in a class and interact with others as much, if not more, than actual dance technique... especially at the beginning of the year. Have a routine. We make a train, we come in together, we sit on our spots, we take attendance (have a song for attendance maybe?), we do this action song, etc. The little ones will follow along to the routine and eventually they'll "get it!"
By darlin_dancer
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 03:55 AM
I'm sorry, I have a 17 month old and I cannot even fathom her listening to a teacher. I would suggest low expectations. Good luck!

ReplySendWatch