Forum: Ask a Teacher

Rhymes to Learn Right and Left (children 4-6)
By lillianj
On Sun Sep 16, 2012 09:48 PM

Does anyone know any songs/rhymes to teach little kids right from left for a ballet class?

Thanks!

13 Replies to Rhymes to Learn Right and Left (children 4-6)

re: Rhymes to Learn Right and Left (children 4-6)
By Claire_B
On Sun Sep 16, 2012 09:58 PM
I don't know of any rhymes but I have made little finger rings with small hair tyes and attached ribbons from them, and they put it on their right hand. Then when they're dancing and you say right hand, they know it is the on with the ribbons.
By MissSharon73
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 04:08 AM
Kimbo has a few songs.

As for rhymes, I don't have any. I teach my dancers the old stand-by of holding up the hands and the hand that makes the letter "L" is the left ;)

Of course, that is if they already know their alphabet letters ;)
By MonkeyBean
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 05:59 AM
Edited by MonkeyBean (224995) on 2012-09-17 06:26:20 I did not read all details ;o)
I do the Hokey Pokey with my kids. They love it! There is a Dora version that is super cute.
Okay...just saw it was for a ballet class, so maybe the Hokey Pokey is not what you were looking for ;o) Sorry. But you could use the same Hokey Pokey concept and just use some pretty classical music.
By heffingtonfam1
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:07 PM
We sing a song every class in my 3-4 creative movement and combo classes. It is to the song where is Thumbkin, except I changed the words and movements. It goes?

Where is Right Foot, Where is Right Foot ( shrug shoulders, up and down) Here I am, Here I am.... ( Tap right foot in tendu ) How are you to day sir.... ( tap right foot with hand ) Very Well Thank YOu ( Tap toe in Tendu ) Run Away ( pull foot back to paralell) Run Away ( run in place ).

Then repeat the left side doing same movements...The kids love it!
By girlladybug
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:30 PM
I use hand puppets that I purchased at a school supply store. I decorated them with a face, hair etc. One is a boy and the other is a girl. There is a song called Rita Right and Larry Left go to Dancing School. It is from Dancing School Kids CD's. The kids love it.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 AM
I have a silly way of making them remember. I ask, "Is this your right foot?", and of course they say yes, because I said so. I say, "Ok, touch your right foot."

"Now, if this is your right foot, the other foot is your wrong foot, right?"

They all shout, "No! It's your left foot!!"

I go on, "but if you are not RIGHT, you are WRONG, those this IS your WRONG foot!"

We go on like this and I do it to them, every week. They never forget because they are too busy correcting me.

I do that a lot. I do, or say things wrong, and darn if they don't correct me. I find, that rather than just saying it, and HOPING that they remember, I give them a reason to remember.

Using poems, like you want, songs, comedy, really helps them remember.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 18, 2012 02:41 AM
We use the song that goes, "This is my left foot, hahahahahaha. This is my right foot, hahahahahaha. Twirling and twirling with delight. I know my left foot from my right." I face them so that they mirror me -- which is harder for me cause I have to point to my wrong foot! :)
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Tue Sep 18, 2012 03:26 AM
I have that song, but don't use it, but my former boss used it, a lot.
By lillianj
On Wed Sep 19, 2012 09:12 PM
Thanks for all of your responses, I will definitely these out! :)
By GeorginaG
On Sat Oct 20, 2012 09:31 PM
my modern syllabus had a song for this for the primary grade, but i guess you could use it for ballet too. its a call and response song. i do it facing the chldren so of course i use the opposite hand/ foot!
you: "this is my right hand"(wave hand)
children: repeat it
you: "this is my right foot" (put out right foot and point to it)
children repeat
you: "right is for a rainbow" (wag right finger)
children repeat
all run in own circle to right drawing a rainbow in the air
you: "this is my left hand" (wave hand)
children repeat
you: this is my left foot (put out foot and point to it)
children repeat
you: "left is for a lion" (look scared - bite nails/knock knees/ etc)
children repeat
all: creep / run to left diagonal front, roar like a lion
the children especiall love the roaring part!
hope this helps!
By TiffanyDancer
On Tue Oct 23, 2012 02:17 AM
Dancing School Kids has a cute Left and Right song on both their volume 1 and volume 2 albums.

I like Rita Right and Larry Left -

Rita Right and Larry Left, go to dancing school.
Rita Right does tap, tap, tap, but Larry's not a fool.
Larry Left goes tap, tap, tap - he can do it too...
They go together just like this, and now they'll dance for you.
By Sumayah
On Tue Oct 23, 2012 02:50 AM
On a Wee-Sing they have the right hand left hand.

This is my right hand, I raise it up high!
This is my left hand, I touch the sky!
Right hand.
Left hand.
Roll them around!
Left hand.
Right hand.
Touch the ground!

I will say that after 12 years of mirroring that, I'm the {i]last[/i] person you should ever ask for directions! And to make things worse, if I don't draw an arrow pointing north when I draw a map, I draw it like I draw stage, north on the bottom, south on top, east on the left and west on the right. It makes total sense in my brain...
By Peong1964
On Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:43 PM
Dancing with your friends or family its a little different dance that you can learn with professionals so you need to understand that you will be learning new like I do learn new with my-assignment.help this amazing website which offer me a great help with homework as well as learning and get amazing grades in exam though

ReplySendWatch