Forum: Irish / Irish - Teachers and Assistants

Tips for Dance Drama?
By rosalinde
On Thu Sep 20, 2012 07:18 PM

I think I must've gone mad, but I've decided to take my dancers to Dance Drama this year at the CRN Irish Opens.

I have good music, good story, the dance is almost completely choreographed (the odd little bars here and there still need final steps, but I'm not too worried about those).

I am, however, worried about the human aspect of the dance. I know which dancers I want to include, and they know I want them in the dance, and they are totally keen. Now. But the competition isn't until early May. And I'm scared they'll bail out.

Also, whereas I have lots of experience teaching solo dancing, and some experience teaching ceili, this is the first time I'll put on a proper show dance, and it's different, I feel.

Any tips and tricks you guys want to share with me? We'll need to travel, so dancers bailing out at the last moment is not a good thing (I have calculated in having back-up dancers).

I'm very enthusiastic, but I'm also quite apprehensive ...

1 Replies to Tips for Dance Drama?

re: Tips for Dance Drama?
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:24 AM
Start by getting a comitment from the dancers (and their parents!) Let them know what you expect for attendance for practice, as well as the dates for the competiton.

Have the families fund-raise (there are going to be costs for costumes, set, transporting/shipping the set to the competition etc). If you're putting out money, you're not going to bail out two weeks before the performance.

Have substitute dancers- not only for practices where people miss, but because injuries happen.

Have fun! Dance Drama is a blast!!!

ReplySendWatch