Forum: Arts / Pets

cat holidays
By AlandN
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 04:05 PM

Since getting my cat around 4 years ago a friend has been in to feed her if i've ever gone away for a few days, but we've had a falling out so this year I put her into a cattery... she hated it!! Luckily I was only away for a long weekend but she didnt eat for the 4 days (even though I took her some of her regular food). The cattery tried to tempt her with all sorts but she refused everything.
Any advice as to what to do with her next time I want to go away??

8 Replies to cat holidays

re: cat holidays
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 05:08 PM
Hire a petsitter.
They can feed and play with your cat as well as pick up mail and change curtains/lights to make your house look lived in.
By SparrowCatPremium member
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 09:57 PM
Agree with the cat sitter - it could even be a neighbour or family member. We had our teenage niece come by each day to take care of our menagerie while we were were away - she loved the responsibility and experience, and the pocket money she earnt! It's not worth your cats health.

Kudos to you for caring though :D
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Sun Nov 04, 2012 05:56 AM
Hmmm... ***walks around in circles [clockwise] three times...)

I would find someone who really loves and has an interest in cats. I used to be the "cat feeder" for my neighborhood, and I made a point to become familiar with each cat's personality and behavior. some cats, despite what I tried would NOT come out from under the ____ or over the ____ until after I'd left.

Could you ask around, via flyers in the neighborhood? Prescreen people maybe? introduce the cat(s) to the potential candidate, and see if there is a potential match.

I would write out a list of what your kitty likes
how they like to play
how often to feed them, and how much
make sure there is a key
leave around some of the cat(s) favorite toys -- or give hints in regards if the cat likes to play string, chase, box, bag, hop, etc.
leave around an item of clothing that you've slept on, or around a lot, so that it has your scent, an item of reassurance for cats.

We've always asked people to help us out when we were away. Yes, my cat was suspicious, but she relaxed when the people coming to feed her maintained consistent behavior.

Hope this helps.

Shadow.
On Sun Nov 04, 2012 06:25 AM
Actually, something we had recommended by our vet that worked really well for our cat recently.

One of our cats gets stressed easily with change - we ended up at the vets with her a couple of days before leaving on a week long holiday (we arranged for a family member to come over and feed twice daily, so no change would be in routing) - but before we even started packing or moving things about, she picked up on something and stressed and had symptoms which required immediate vet attention. Turned out to most likely be stress related. I swear our cat understands every single word we say :P

Our vet recommended Feliway diffuser (see it here: www.vetnpetdirect.com.au . . .)
I HIGHLY recommend it based on the help it gave Sparrow. She because incredibly relaxed - I could even vacuum in the same room as her, and she would nap on the couch and look at the vacuum but not take off and hide in fear - which, until this point, she did. The transition of leaving and returning was seamless, and she responded very well to it. We installed it (just a plug in the wall) a few days before we left and wanted to monitor it, but it was fantastic. I haven't seen anyone else use it, but I have seen the difference it made with 'miss sensitive' Sparrow. FYI, it did not change her playfulness r make her into a zombie. She just seemed... happier. We used it for about a month then turned it off to see the difference, and she seems to have adapted pretty well certainly not back to the stressed kitty she was with changes before.
On Sun Nov 04, 2012 06:47 AM
^^ Great idea!

One thing I've noticed about Feliway, though, is even though the pheremones in it are really good, I've noticed that my cat is sometimes really suspicious of the scent. There have been time when she went into a room where a Feliway plug-in cartridge was, and her fur went up, and her eyes dilated. I unplugged the cartridge and put one of my sweatshirts there. She snuggled up on the thing and started purring, quite calm. :?

I don't know. I can't explain it either.
On Sun Nov 04, 2012 07:00 AM
Apparently it's supposed to give out 'happy cat pheromones' (words of the vet :P) . I think it also comes in a spray too - though it wouldn't let off a constant fresh supply of the scent.

It's good hearing other people's experiences using it! ShadowLunaCat, did you turn it back on? Have you used it again? Or just didn't agree with your cat?
On Sun Nov 04, 2012 08:07 AM
I haven't plugged it back in, no.

I've left some "shadowloonie" things in the room.

I DO have both a packet (for the cat carrier), and another plug in, and I might try again.

Maybe she was just in a weird mood?

On a funnier note: my mother had bought a plush pair of pajama bottoms for my father, and hung them over the back of a chair while she was watching tv.

Well, my cat went crazy-wild when she saw those pj's. she hooked them off of the back of the chair and started rubbing her face in them, scenting them, while she also held them and kicked at them, as if they were some devious kitten, with her hind legs.

I tried to take the thing from her, and she just would NOT be separated from them. I put them up on a shelf, and she jumped up there, hauled them down in her mouth, and started dragging them on the floor. Her tail was fluffed out like a brush.

Luckily my father's worn them, and my mother's washed them since, so I think that weird scent has since come off.

I dunno. Maybe someone rolled them in catnip?

Hmm... I'll have to try the Feliway again, and see how it is.

I guess I won't try those pj bottoms.... :D

Shadow.
On Sun Nov 04, 2012 08:24 AM
^ hahaha. That gave me a great laugh.

We have this plush fleece type blanket that our (slightly psychotic and overly energetic *ahem, lots of personality!!*) 12 month old kitten goes the opposite over - as soon as his feet touch it, even if he's in a crazy mood, he gets this weird stoned look on this face and starts massaging it. It's hilarious.

Cats are hilarious.

ReplySendWatch