Forum: Teaching Assistants

What to wear?
By livelovedance22
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 07:35 PM

Hi! I'm assisting with a few classes this year and I'm in the process of trying to figure out what to wear. One class is a ballet/tap/jazz combo class. The others are hip hop. And what I would wear for the combo class is obviously quite different from what I would wear for the hip hop classes. Any ideas of what I can wear that doesn't require a complete outfit change? I'm fine with layering, but if possible I would like to avoid bringing a completely different outfit.

7 Replies to What to wear?

re: What to wear?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:27 PM
Nothing with anything hanging out - make sure everything is properly fitted, no boobs hanging out, no booty hanging out of your leo, nothing like that.

Nothing with questionable writing on it - you gotta remember, you're supposed to serve as something of a role model for these kids, and if you're wearing naughty slogans on your shirt, you're a bad role model.

Nothing you're going to have to fuss with. I used to have these pants that were fantastically comfortable, and easy to move in, so I wore them to teach alot. Problem though, the elastic was pretty well shot, so when I jumped with the girls, the pants would start to come down. I had a class of littles that I always seemed to end up in the pants the day of their class - they were six weeks in before they learned that you were NOT supposed to hold your pants while you jumped...

Most of the hip hop girls at our studio will keep on their regular clothes, and just throw on a big pair of sweats when they go in to their hip-hop classes. Sometimes, some of the girls that wear sports bras or whatever will throw on a wife beater too.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:59 PM
A tank-top and yoga pants. My standard teaching outfit. Works for everything.

What do the teachers wear at your studio? Base your outfit off of that.
By eyecandance
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:47 PM
Sport bra, tank top, yoga pants
By pinktights27
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 06:53 AM
I always feel best in a leotard and tights, with different things over it....ballet shorts or skirt or warmups for the combo class, less fitted capris or long shorts for hip hop and a fitted tee or tank top. I feel like the leo and tights always reminds me I'm in class and technique is number one...plus I feel like it sucks me in!!!
By DaDancingPsych
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:43 AM
I would recommend that you speak with the instructors. I actually prefer that my assistant adhere more closely to the dress code, although I may allow slightly more flexibility depending on the situation.
By wtalon
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 01:16 AM
When I assisted, especially in ballet, I always wore what the dancers wore, especially because I demonstrated A LOT, and it was important for them to see my lines and feet clearly- pink tights, leo, pink shoes, skirt, hair up in a bun. However, I'd also do something 'different'- colorful leo, tank top or Disney tee (when I did pres), colorful scrunchies, etc. The few times I did jazz I wore black jazz pants and a tee-shirt (our kids wear a black leo and pants). As an assistant, because again, I mainly demonstrate, I stick pretty close to dress code.
By Tutu520
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 04:14 PM
I always wear a leo with tights and warm up shorts then throw a pair of sweatpants over for hip hop, this way you don't need a complete wardrobe change.

ReplySendWatch