Forum: Adults / 20 Something

Advice about a work/life responsibility.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 AM

I work for a business that was originally started by my good friends grandparents. I believe that she owns the controlling interest in the company now, and even if she doesn't, she runs a lot of the day-to-day operations and handles the finances, etc. Said friend is out of town for several months (immigration/travel issues) and has been struggling to handle the business from where she is. I work for her several days a week and have recently quit my other job in order to have more time for my college course load. She called me begging me to please go to her grandparents house (where the business office is) to help them with some paperwork. I agreed, because I thought it was a 1 time thing, but I've been back twice now. Both times I've been there for several hours trying to sort out what is a HUGE financial/tax mess. I'm no bookkeeper so all I was really doing in arranging papers chronologically for their accountant to pick up so he could sort it out. I was supposed to go back again today but just could not bring myself to do it. I'm flying out this Thursday to visit said friend for her Bridal Shower and have SO much h/w and my regular work for this business on top of that.

So, I texted my friend yesterday (yes, not very work professional but it is an international long distance phone call) to tell her that I wouldn't be going over there and to please inform her Grandpa. She got back to me saying "No worries". Today I have received several missed calls from the grandfather wondering where I am. Yes, I could just call him back and explain but there is a moderate/high language barrier and he is also quite old. He usually just talks over me and misunderstands whenever we speak. I'm frustrated with my friend for not communicating with her family about HER company. I feel like something which isn't at all my responsibility (or in my pay grade/knowledge base) is falling on my shoulders.

How do I be firm enough with my friend to show her I physically don't have the time and mental capacity to do this right now without sounding like a total witch? I don't want for things to be awkward this weekend when I visit!

1 Replies to Advice about a work/life responsibility.

re: Advice about a work/life responsibility. (karma: 1)
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 01:17 AM
Hey friend! It seems like your grandfather wasn't aware that I wouldn't be coming today? I'm not sure if he got the message? I hope everything went ok. I also wanted to tell you more about these tasks. I'd love to be able to continue doing the paperwork but I can't do it on a regular basis on top of the regular hours + college. When I do something I like to do it right and I don't think I can. It's not that I don't want to help, it's just that I can't find the time to do it properly and can't commit 100% to it. I don't think it does any good for both of us.
P.S. add a little something about the bridal shower?

ReplySendWatch