Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Birth control prescription - when to start?
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 01, 2012 04:24 PM

I've been on this site for almost 7 years now and it's been a very long time since I've had to ask a question like this. :P

Basically, I moved back cross country and I had no success whatsoever getting my birth control prescription transferred from my old clinic to my new clinic, so I just had another exam and got another prescription for the same type of birth control.

My gyno told me to wait until the end of my next cycle to start taking it. My period is almost 2 weeks late (I'm not pregnant, no worries there), which I'm assuming is because I've been off the pills at this point for over a month.

Would it be okay to just start taking the pills? I don't like not having that extra protection against pregnancy and I don't want to wait around for my period so long that getting back on the pill causes side effects again. Last time I was off birth control for awhile, I believe I remember my period taking a good few extra weeks to show up again, and then it was a nuisance for a good two weeks straight. -_-

I did call my gyno and she said to wait until my next cycle, even if it takes awhile. So yes, I am asking if ignoring the advice of my doctor would be okay in this instance. :)

5 Replies to Birth control prescription - when to start?

re: Birth control prescription - when to start?
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Mon Oct 01, 2012 04:55 PM
hmmm... I've just started taking b/c pills, and well, the results didn't exactly bode well for me.

I find that there really is a bunch of reasoning to this. I remember having issues with the menses, etc., and being given the third degree by the nurse at my ob/gyn's office: "Did you take the pills, EVERY day at the SAME TIME each day?" etc.

See, my thing was that I always relied on my gynecologist to let me know when to start the new pack. And, if she was going to change anything, she'd tell me "wait two weeks, and then start with THIS row..." Or something like that. And, of course, keep track of all of the side affects.

Nienna, I find it really strange that the docs at your old clinic couldn't furnish/fax/mail that information to the people at your new clinic. Really weird. I'm wondering that if you wrote up a release to your old clinic with your current doctor's name on it, that they would send those medical records over.

In the meantime, found out this information:
www.google.com . . .

could this link help?
www.acog.org . . .

www.acog.org . . .

Hope those links and information help!

Is there a doctor whom you could contact/email?

Hugs!

Shadow.
By ChristinePremium member
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 04:17 AM
Birth control pills only work if you take them ABSOLUTELY according to your doctor's instructions, and even then, they are not as reliable as they were back in the day.

I got pregnant on bc pills

Don't take a chance messing with your hormones even more than bc does. As frustrating as it is to wait until things level out, you really need to wait until your period starts, and then start the pills. When calculating cycle related issues, day 1 of your period is day 1 of the cycle. This is when you should take your first pill.

Best..

Keep On Dancing*
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:03 AM
Well, what I was told by my doc was that the "start it on THIS day" instructions apply to getting immediate protection, and that you can start on another day of your cycle but it won't be effective for a while and you'll have to use another method in addition.

On top of that, from what I (as a layman) understand, this probably means that if you start now instead of waiting for your period, it won't do much to regulate this month's cycle either.

So really, you're best off just waiting and starting it at the right time. Look on the bright side - it might be a nuisance for two weeks, but at least it's only two weeks and you know afterwards it'll settle down. At one point I was 'on' constantly for six weeks before the doctor would take out my implant!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 PM
I actually don't have periods without some kind of birth control, so I start taking/using it the next day (I've been on various pills, the patch, & the ring over the years). Everyone's body is different. It's ideal to take it the first day of your period, but not required. Just be sure to use condoms as well for the first 1-2 cycles if you usually don't & you'll be fine.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 08:20 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate the input.

I ended up calling my gyno again and explaining the situation and she told me just to start them and to make sure I use extra protection for the next month. The birth control also helps regulate my terrible, terrible mood swings which have been pretty adversely affecting life recently, so I don't mind double birth control methods for a few weeks in exchange for feeling a bit more even.

Thanks again!

ReplySendWatch