Forum: Arts / Acting

Acting
What to do?
By BalletGirl98 Comments: 96, member since Wed Sep 14, 2011
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 02:07 AM

So I love the stage and have decided that I would LOVE to have a career in musical theatre. I take dance, and while I don't take singing lessons, I have played instruments since I was eight and at least have a grasp on how to carry a tune. I have been told I have a good voice, but sometimes I wonder if that is just people being nice LOL. I definitely am not an alto, but I am not quite sure I have a soprano voice either. Anyway, the drama program at my school is very weak. Mostly, it is filled with people who got stuck in there because they did not pick an elective or people who do it for the arts credit. I was going to be in it but they could not schedule me into it. UGH:( I also missed choir audition last year because I had a cold and a sore throat.

I want to major in theatre, but will it hold me back that theatre is basically nonexistent where I live? Do you have any tips for me if so?

1 Replies to What to do?

re: What to do?
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 06:22 AM
First of all, you need to be more aggressive in getting the classes you need. Go to the choir teacher now, explain why you missed the audition, ask her to hear you now and make sure you get approved for that class when the next opportunity to start it comes up. If the school is unable to juggle your schedule correctly, you need to enlist the help of your parents in talking with the administration to see what can be done for better long-term planning.

See if there is a church choir in your community where you can sing to get more experience. Hopefully your family won't care if you choose one for its musical quality rather than its denomination.

If theatre is basically nonexistent where you live then, yes, you will have to go somewhere else after college. But this is true of a lot of careers. Someone who majors in marine biology, for example, is not likely to get a job in their mid-west prairie hometown.

ReplySendWatch