Forum: General / Tap / Tap

break time step? buck step? What's the difference?
By dominicana90
On Thu Oct 04, 2012 01:44 AM

I've been looking for the times steps and breaks written down. Are bucks the same as breaks?

3 Replies to break time step? buck step? What's the difference?

re: break time step? buck step? What's the difference?
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 04, 2012 03:33 PM
No. Here's a video of a buck timestep. I've never done one like this, but I've done one similar, with a pickup in between the stamp and the hop. We also call them pickup timesteps over here - I've never used the term buck timestep, but there's a lot of regional variation in names.

www.youtube.com . . .

I've never heard of a "break timestep". I have heard of two timesteps and then a break. Or six timesteps and a break. Or whatever number fits into the musical phrasing. A break is literally to break up the continually repeated rhythm of a load of timesteps.
By dominicana90
On Thu Oct 04, 2012 05:08 PM
That's what I mean for break. I see buck and break being used interchangeably.

From the video, that's how we did our single time step. It's been a while since I've done tap.

So basically a buck is a stomp?

Can you possibly lead me to a thread that has the breaks written out?

Thanks so much!
By imadanseurPremium member
On Thu Oct 11, 2012 06:22 AM
This might help:

www.dance.net . . .

tapsource.blogspot.com . . .

Buck is not the stomp...the term Buck comes from Clogging. Folk dances from England and Ireland were often danced in heavy shoes like clogs and was sometimes called "Buck Dancing" and the emphasis was always on the downbeat.

A break means there is a break in rhythm or the pattern...which is common in tap such as doing the shim-shim and then there is a break after each section.

ReplySendWatch