Forum: Advice / Stretching

What should I do now that I have the splits?
By Cheesemoo
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 07:28 PM

So for years my goal was to have 3-way splits. I finally decided to just start stretching often and with dedication, and sure enough I can do them consistently now! It's really awesome, but now I feel kind of lost without a goal. I obviously want to maintain them, but are there any other stretches I can work towards?
I know oversplits are an option, but are they safe/worthwhile? How would I go about starting to train for that?

8 Replies to What should I do now that I have the splits?

re: What should I do now that I have the splits?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:30 PM
I like oversplits for those that are comfortable in their splits: I think that they can make leaps and extensions look awesome.

You could also work on back flexibility, so you can do bridges/backbends, scorpion/needles, higher arabesques / attitudes, elbow stands, etc.
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:28 PM
Oversplits are definitely worthwhile!
Like AlwaysOnStage said, they help make pretty much every type of extension you do look fabulous. You should also try working on your strength, so that when you do extensions, you can hold them longer (I also second working on the back flexibility as well).

To start training for oversplits the easiest thing to start with is books. start by putting a novel under your front heel (don't forget to switch it up and put it under the back foot as well). Then gradually increase the height of the stack of books (or anything similar that is sturdy). Make sure that you are comfortably sitting in the oversplits position before you increase the height!
By dancer7210
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 01:23 AM
I have all 3 splits as well, and I work on my over splits all the time. My teacher tells us that it also helps with leaps, as well as the extensions that the people before me said. I started working on my over splits by putting a small pillow under my front foot, it might seem usless, but I only did this for a few days to get used to the feel of a slight over split. Then, I put it on some thing slightly taller. After about a week, I could sit in that split comfortably, so I alternated days with a slightly larger item, and that, working my way up, waiting a few days after it felt comfortable to add a larger item. Also, you can work toward another flexibility or dance goal.
By Cheesemoo
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 03:01 AM
Thanks so much for the advice!
I don't think back flexibility is in the cards for me, I have scoliosis in my lumbar spine, and while it doesn't affect much of anything else that I do, I don't think my back will be ever much beyond a non-dancer level of normal flexibility.
However! I will try and see if I can try using a book in my splits.
My best by far is my middle (I'm not feeling much of a stretch just sitting in it now), do you guys oversplit for that as well? Same idea, just increase height over time? And would you do that one leg at a time, then?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 01:34 PM
Yes, you can do an over middle split. Keep in mind that you can do an oversplit while laying your chest on the ground, and an oversplit sitting up in the split, and they stretch two different ways.
By dancer7210
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 08:53 PM
Yup! You can do an over split in a center one leg at a time, or put an item under each foot, so you go down slightly more then you usually would! Also, you can attempt a Chinesse split, which I think AlwaysonStage was describing. If you can not do back flexibility, I would set goals in your technique for dancing, one more pirouette, a slightly higher leap, or a more general issue that you may have like remembering you to point your toes, ect.
By shetland
On Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 PM
like others wrote, if you want you can do oversplits, and then, you can work on other either technical issues or expression while dancing. there is always something to work on!
By hummingbird
On Thu Nov 08, 2012 02:18 AM
How about working on your strength so that you can hold your split as you jump?

ReplySendWatch