Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Advanced & Professional Ballet
Rank these ballet colleges in order of prestige?
By blochballerina22 Comments: 44, member since Sat Jun 30, 2007
On Tue Oct 09, 2012 09:36 PM

I am applying and auditioning for some of these colleges this fall, and I was wondering how you would rank them in terms of prestige, rigor, faculty, opportunity, etc. Also, if you have any helpful information about the program that would be awesome. It's hard to go to all of these schools and hear that they are all the best.... what is really the truth? what is your opinion?

-Butler University
-University of Oklahoma
-University of Cincinatti
-University of Utah
-Indiana University

3 Replies to Rank these ballet colleges in order of prestige?

re: Rank these ballet colleges in order of prestige?
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:11 PM
It's not about which college is the best, or most prestigious. You really need to learn more about each college, who the student body is, what makes it unique, and how you might fit in. There is no one best or right answer in college choice.
By balletboyrhysmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 489, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:21 PM
Greenpumpkin is totally right! I graduated from one of the nations best dance programs in 2010. When I just got out of high school I thought I only wanted to go to one of the "top ballet universities" and applied to several of the ones on your list. i ended up going to the university of utah with a full scholarship. it was a program full of very talented dancers and some wonderful instructors. the facilities were beautiful as well. i hated the program! it was an awful fit for me and i only stayed one year. i transferred to a smaller school with an amazing program where I was able to grow so much as a dancer. it's all about knowing what you need and trying to think about the school as a whole instead of a name! i loved my experience at southern methodist university.
By crazytap Comments: 160, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Sat Oct 13, 2012 07:29 AM
I personally am at Friends University in Kansas. I love the program here. It's a BFA (Bachelors of Fine Arts) program. It's a smaller program, but nearly everyone who graduates is performing/choreographing in a company. Those who aren't are reporters for the arts sections of many different periodicals. If you are interested in applying or even just auditioning for the program, I can send you some information.

ReplySendWatch