Forum: Irish / Irish - Technique & Training

Hardshoe drills
By irishdncer1982
On Fri Oct 12, 2012 07:39 PM

Hello everyone! Hey does anyone have any good hardshoe drills that they do to help with their dancing? My hardshoe dancing is lacking but I have been improving since I had dance camp in August. My soft shoe dances are already in prizewinner with two dances placed out of it:) I just need to really get going on my hardshoe and my goal is get to Prelims sometime! So I have the drive and ambition:) I just need some good advice on what would be good for drills and you have any video or links you can post so I can see the drills that would be great!!! :)

4 Replies to Hardshoe drills

re: Hardshoe drills
By Greensleeves
On Fri Oct 12, 2012 08:04 PM
My DD is in OPW and works on the following:

1. Keeping your trebles, etc... underneath you. This sounds weird, but if you're "reaching", you don't have the right amt. of energy going up.

2. Watch for problem spots with foot placement. Be specific when you drill turnout. Does your foot pronate when you get ready to do a slice? Practice in front of a mirror until you get the right "feeling".

3. Stamina, stamina, stamina. Do you feel like your ready to keel over on the left foot of your 2nd hornpipe step? If you do, chances are, your energy is going to flag and the judges will notice. Jump rope and run stairs (DD says running stairs is particularly useful). Run through your HP twice without stopping, even if your legs feel like lead. In a month, your hardshoe will look better than ever.
By irishdncer1982
On Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:23 PM
Thanks for the tips! :)
By onegirlbandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:48 PM
youtu.be . . .

This is a little video that I made up for another DDN'er to help with timing, but you can use the drills for practicing too.

In the video I make a note about turn out. I said to think of pushing your heel forward... bad bad bad!

I should have said turn out comes from the hip. If you are turning out from your hip, your entire leg will follow.

Hope this helps a little :)
By blondehornpiper
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 03:34 PM
yes, It helps ALOT to practice trebles/shuffles.
practice hornpipe trebles and treble jig trebles.
Also, stamina is super important!!!practice doing more than 3 steps at a time.
Lastly, make sure your hitting your clicks and getting them high!!

ReplySendWatch