Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Another search for plants, this time for my desk at my office
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:15 PM
Edited by Nienna (142754) on 2012-10-15 13:01:19

I'm hoping to pick the brains of the green-thumbed DDN members once more.

I work at an office and my desk is in great need of some green. I'm looking for a couple of small plants to put on my desk to liven up the place. My desk is on the fourth floor of the building, right next to a window that faces east, so I get plenty of sunlight. I'd like something easy to take care of, and if it flowered that would be sooo nice.

I also do have some space on the floor by my window where I could potentially put a bigger plant, so don't necessarily shy away from any of those options either.

Thank you in advance!

EDITED TO ADD: I work in Maryland, near Washington, D.C., just so you have an idea of my climate.

11 Replies to Another search for plants, this time for my desk at my office

re: Another search for plants, this time for my desk at my office (karma: 2)
By kandykanePremium member
On Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2012-10-15 12:54:15
Get a peace lilly. An office favorite and super easy to care for! If you forget to water before your vacation, it'll pop right back up when you water after coming back. Plus you get an occaisonal bloom.

www.youtube.com . . .

Oopsies, wrong link. But since that is a fun video, I'll leave that for your entertainment. And HERE is the link for a peace lilly.

houseplants.about.com . . .

kk~
re: Another search for plants, this time for my desk at my office (karma: 1)
By KaydeeJayde
On Tue Oct 16, 2012 03:26 AM
Hi there!

I'm in Melbourne, Australia so I'm not sure how similar the climate is but I bought my mother a plant as a welcome home gift and it's been the easiest plant to take care of. Water a few times a week and trim off dead flowers, and it's flowering and growing all happily in a pot on top of my piano. The marker says it's a Begonia Elatior. It's really lovely, and comes in lots of colours too.

Hope you find something lovely. Greenery does so much for a space, I love it :D
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 17, 2012 05:46 AM
If you want flowers, Peace Lillies are just about the only option I can think of. Most flowering plants require outdoor conditions.

Another choice would be a low-light bromeliad. houseplants.about.com . . .
A lot of them do have beautiful flowers, but they bloom very infrequently. Super easy to take care of though.

Pathos is the easiest plant to keep, but it doesn't flower. www.exoticrainforest.com . . .

Dracaena would work too. Super easy to care for, but it won't bloom indoors. houseplants.about.com . . .

Areca Palms are also easy to care for if you have the space en.wikipedia.org . . .
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 17, 2012 06:56 AM
Christmas cactus?
re: Another search for plants, this time for my desk at my office
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 17, 2012 01:57 PM
Thank you so much for all the suggestions everybody! I'm going to head to my local nursery this weekend to see what I can see.

What do you guys think about orchids? My roommate had one and it was so pretty, especially during the winter time when everything was bleak outside and her orchid was bright white and purple.
By ChristinePremium member
On Wed Oct 17, 2012 04:46 PM
Although African Violets aren't in the "easy" group, they do love the artificial light of offices. Your eastern exposure window would also be ideal. And yes, with the proper feeding, they do flower often. Be prepared, however, to replace them from time to time. Sometimes it is just better to toss them and start over than limp them along on life support. If you place the pot on a bed of stones and keep the stones wet (do not let the plant sit in water, the wet stones are enough)it will increase the humidity around the plant. Misting isn't an option with African Violets because the furry leaves will get brown spots on them if they stay wet for too long.

If the light from the window is direct, a Christmas Cactus would also work. There are several varieties available, so you can look for a "Thanksgiving Cactus", or an "Easter Cactus", to bloom at different times of the year.

Keep On Dancing*
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 01:16 AM
I've never been able to keep african violets alive. I did mean to mention orchids though. Some will grow indoors, and most of them are pretty easy to care for. Just make sure you do your research and get one that grows well indoors.
By rowingj
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 02:40 AM
I've had good luck with African violets when using a special pot like this www.google.com . . .

Aloe does pretty well, as do beefsteak begonias, spider plants, and Christmas/Easter Cacti (they only flower once per year, though).
By Soleil2213member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:19 PM
I had a patient bring me in a shamrock and it has thrived at my desk. It flowers fairly often. I've actually had to split it a few times, it has gotten so big.
By Dikol
On Wed Aug 04, 2021 01:55 AM
Houseplants, also called interior foliage plants and indoor decorative foliage plants, are a major global industry, and are available probably anywhere in the world where there is a population center of even modest proportion.

I would recommend buying plants in person rather than online, but if a store is too far for you to travel, or for some other reason you’d rather purchase online, there are many, many online sources also. Just enter into your device something like where to buy houseplants online, or houseplant sources.
By MolikUk
On Thu Aug 12, 2021 09:35 AM
Hello, I prefer Indoor Flowers, they are also great for a gift. Unlike ordinary plucked flowers in a bouquet, they will live forever if, of course, if they are well looked after. Now you can order houseplants online on maryandplants.ch , and for this you do not need to go to the market and drag them home around the city. On their site almost everything.. Highly recommend!

ReplySendWatch