Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
What to look for in a yoga studio?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2012-10-16 23:32:41

Starting with my next paycheck (end of the month), I'd like to start taking yoga. I have no idea what to look for. I found three that look reputable and have morning classes (which is what I want). I haven't taken yoga since I was 15/16 and that was at my high-school, not a class you pay for.

The one closest to me just does hot yoga. I'm not sure about that, it sounds nice, but I don't tend to do well with heat. It does appeal to me, though. My yoga teacher from high school loved hot yoga and always talked about how awesome it is.

www.tulsayogaquest.com . . .

The other two seem about the same.

theyogaroomtulsa.com

www.innerpeaceyogatulsa.com

I did include the links if you'd like to look at them. It's very daunting, I don't know which to pick etc.

Any advice? Does one place look better than the others?

Edit: I'll probably do a few drop in classes before I commit, but I'd like to pick a good place on the first go.

4 Replies to What to look for in a yoga studio?

re: What to look for in a yoga studio?
By QCdancer Comments: 187, member since Mon Dec 04, 2006
On Wed Oct 17, 2012 09:19 PM
I would probably choose a studio with a good schedule and a variety of classes every day. I love hot yoga but at my studio the sequence is the same for every class which can be a good thing or a bad thing. Sometimes I can't get enough and sometimes I need more variety so it's nice that I have other options.

I find that individual teachers are the most important factor for me. Of course you can't figure this out until you take a few classes. I know that in my city all of the yoga studios have specials for newcomers to the studio (e.g. $20 for 10 days of classes or a month for $50) so you might think about doing something like that to get a better idea of the studio.

Otherwise, I would just make sure the studio is clean, not too far out of your way and holds classes that fit your schedule.

Also, I went to my city's lululemon and asked some of the lovely ladies there about where they like to do yoga and what teachers they like.
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2956, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 07:20 PM
Something big to consider is what you really want out of taking yoga. For example, when I did yoga I was doing it because I wanted time during which I could release the stress of the week and the toll it had taken on my body and mind. I wasn't doing it to lose weight, I wasn't doing it to make friends. So I chose a beautiful local studio with donation-only "community yoga" classes with a lovely upstairs studio. The floor was smooth and earth-toned, the walls were a soft golden color with mirrors on one side, there was a lot of natural light, and there were colorful windchimes hanging in the windows. 2-6 people attended. Relaxing music was played very softly and the lesson varied slightly each week. I wouldn't have gotten what I wanted out of it if I'd taken it at the YMCA with 20 people in an empty workout room with aerobics stairs stacked against the wall (I'd done one like that before).

Think about what you're looking for in a yoga class. Obviously consider your schedule and the distance, too. I highly recommend doing a class or even two in each studio before choosing one (including the hot yoga, you may love it or you may find that it doesn't work for you, especially if heat tends to bother you).
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Oct 19, 2012 06:07 AM
Thanks for your posts! Starting next week I'll try a few different classes.

I mostly want to take yoga, because it's something to do and to get away from the house (other than going to work). I wanted to take a dance class, but I couldn't find a place to take. I don't want to lose my flexibility. I'm not looking to socialize and I'd prefer smaller classes.
On Fri Oct 26, 2012 09:19 PM
I went to the hot yoga class today and it was awesome!

I think I'll sign up for classes there. I might still do some drop in classes at the other places (their drop in prices are cheaper).

I did have some difficulty toward the beginning of the class. I got dizzy and I couldn't see, so I stopped and sat down for a few moments an drank some water. But after that I was fine.

When we did "Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose" (I looked that up) the teacher asked if I did ballet.

ReplySendWatch