Forum: Highland / Highland - Theory

Highland - Theory
Dancing on balls of feet
By scotgirl Comments: 99, member since Sun Jun 19, 2011
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 01:50 AM

Any good suggestions on how to help a younger dancer to get used to dancing on the ball of their feet instead of dancing on flat feet? thanks!

8 Replies to Dancing on balls of feet

re: Dancing on balls of feet
By JustDancing4Fun Comments: 601, member since Mon Nov 13, 2006
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 01:55 AM
I say to my little ones to dance on their tippy toes. We practice walking on our 'tippy toes', jumping on our 'tippy toes', and it seems to work.

Also tell them that we have to reach for the sky, and stay up high! :) Good luck - it's not so easy with the little ones!
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 03:35 AM
How young is 'younger'? My teacher used to tell my class to imagine that we had thumbtacks on our heels and if our heels touched the ground we'd get pricked by the thumbtack... But that might be scary to YOUNG young kids...
By Emsta Comments: 218, member since Thu Oct 18, 2007
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 07:49 AM
I think we did one lesson with marbles in the heels of our shoes... actually, probably only a few steps of the fling but tell you what, quickly stopped putting heels down
By cuttlefish Comments: 48, member since Thu Aug 16, 2012
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 08:13 AM
I guess it depends on their level of understanding. For some you'll just need to get them to hop up and down for a bit while correcting them for them to understand what you mean. We just emphasise that the heel never touches the ground. Ask them to see how long they can stand up on the ball without going flat-footed.
By scotgirl Comments: 99, member since Sun Jun 19, 2011
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 PM
She's almost 7. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am trying to get her tippy toe everywhere she goes now and I tell her that she doesn't want the sharks to get her heels. Works well until she starts dancing and down they go.
By roseymom Comments: 166, member since Tue Mar 23, 2010
On Sun Oct 21, 2012 03:12 AM
Our dance teacher says to have Barbie feet...
By puddelilly Comments: 586, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Sun Oct 21, 2012 07:09 PM
Something in the heel to remind them works well. A little pebble, usually taped to the bottom of the shoe so that it doesn't shift. That keeps the heels just off of the ground though, not high up off the ground.
The most important principle is that when they land they are not going to be using all of the springing force from their heels to lift themselves back up, so doing some exercises that reinforce this help. Try having her stand in first position on the balls of her feet, and then plieing keeping her heels off the floor. This will give her the feeling of having her knees bent while her heels are off the floor. Most kids tiptoe with straight legs, so the muscle memory of having a bent knee with heels off the floor isn't being developed.
By HeatherDance1 Comments: 58, member since Tue Jul 13, 2010
On Sun Oct 21, 2012 07:19 PM
With my little ones, we talk alot about how balls are bouncy (and heels are not). They catch on pretty quickly (when reminded, which is often at four years old!)

ReplySendWatch