Feature: Ballet / Ballet - General

Get the Pointe: Dance.net Ballet Interview #42 - Featuring GannTheGlorious (karma: 1)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 19, 2012 07:28 PM
Edited by smileywoman (141214) on 2012-10-19 19:33:00 ..
Edited by webdeadmaster (251) on 2012-10-21 10:08:39 Make feature

Get the Pointe: Dance.net Ballet Interview #42 – Featuring GannTheGlorious

Meet Gann who is known as GannTheGlorious on Dance.net. Gann is a 23 year old female recreational ballet dancer.

DDN Name: GannTheGlorious
Years Dancing: on and off for a good long while!

Hi Gann! Welcome to Dance.net “Get the Pointe: Ballet Interview” #42

Image hotlink - 'http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/smileywoman/GannGTP42Cover_zpsfdf81ded.jpg'

The Basics

QUESTION: What are the styles of dance that you study?
ANSWER: I currently only study ballet, but I'm looking into trying tap and Irish. There are studios in my area that offer these to adult beginners, but I would need to do the math to see if they fit in my budget. In college I also did tribal fusion belly dancing and contact improv. I loved both, but not as much as ballet!

QUESTION: Why study more than one style? What do you like about each style?
ANSWER: I don't know if this applies to most dancers, but since I started with the "freer" forms of belly dancing and contact improv (this excludes childhood ballet, I remember so little from it), I went into ballet with confidence. I knew how my body worked and where my weaknesses were. Most importantly I learned how to brush off mistakes or sometimes just laugh them off. Even though each style is so different, what I liked about them all is that they take great strength (and thus build great strength), and they all give you the chance to create something beautiful with the human body.

QUESTION: Do you prefer classical ballet or modern choreography?
ANSWER: I enjoy watching both classical and modern ballet, but I like classical the best! There's something great about seeing a story you've seen before, but in a new interpretation. It take great performers, directors, etc to take a well known story and make it new and exciting, yet still stay true to the original story. I feel the same way with theatre - new plays can be great, but to me there's nothing like a great production of my favorite Shakespeare plays, "MacBeth" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream," even though I've seen them many times. I feel the same way about "Swan Lake" and "Giselle."

QUESTION: If someone asked you, "Why Dance?" what would your answer be?
ANSWER: First, I would say "Why not dance?" But, seriously, it makes me happy, and it's good for my body. On a bit of a deeper level, dance is the only thing that makes me feel athletic and strong. I went through gym class in school complacent to the fact that I was awful at sports. I couldn't run, catch a ball, or really do anything on the level of my peers. My first classes with belly dancing in college taught me that my body is strong, and athletic, and can do awesome things. I don't belly dance anymore, but I had the same feeling with ballet, only amplified since I've stuck with ballet longer. Ballet is hard and my feet and muscles ache, but it makes me feel awesome, and sometimes I feel like my body thanks me for doing something so good for it!

Memories

QUESTION: How old were you when you began dance? Was ballet your first dance style?
ANSWER: My mother put me in pre-ballet as a toddler. I don't remember anything much about it other than Mom told me the teacher criticized my "toddler arms" that couldn't get up over my head in a proper 5th, and she really took offense because we were all toddlers! I remember a year or two of ballet at another studio (too strict for me), and finally the best fit for Baby Dancer Gann were the classes with a good friend of my grandmother (Miss Bess) until I was 7 or 8. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything I learned at that time, so I don't really count that as dance experience, but it WAS fun! I lost interest and stopped dancing for a good long while until I was in college and saw that there was a whole group for tribal fusion belly dancing. I attended those classes, doing as many performances as my microbiology major allowed. I also took a whole course on modern contact improv, which was so much fun and gives you wicked bruises. As for serious ballet, that only happened after college. The studio near me had pay as you go adult classes at a variety of levels, so I tried one to see what it was all about and fell in LOVE!

QUESTION: Did your parents make you start dancing? Was your mom a dancer, and did she push you to go further and do better?
ANSWER: Yes, when I was a teeny toddler my parent put me in ballet. I don't remember whose say it was when I was a few years older taking lessons with Ms. Bess (my grandmother's friend I mentioned earlier), but she's the first teacher I remember LOVING and wanting to go back to, so maybe some of it was my choice, but I don't remember. All I remember is that Miss Bess was great. I'm the kind of type A personality who finds opportunities for herself, but very hard on myself as well. In everything I've tried my parents have only needed to give minimal pushing. My parents have been great figuring out that I need nurturing and encouragement more than pushing. In my adult (non-dancing) life they have been more pushy towards me with applying for as many jobs as I can and keeping my place perfectly clean!

Class and Training

QUESTION: Describe a typical day in your life.
ANSWER: Currently, I'm unemployed so my days seem lazy. Until recently I had been spending time on back to school applications for special education. In the mornings, I search for job or volunteer opportunities that will look good on my resume. In the afternoons, I have my dance classes, and then I do chores and more job searching. I'm very lucky because I have a stipend from an inheritance to cover rent and other living expenses, and can save a little for dance stuff. Now that I'm doing pointe, I do pet and house sitting to fund my dancing! Meanwhile, my schedule is about to get fuller because I just got hired part time at a restaurant, and hopefully I'll get into that special education program. Hopefully, I will be able to still get to all my classes!

QUESTION: How much time do you dance during the week (ballet and other dance forms)
ANSWER: Three hour and a half classes per week, plus a half hour pointe class (sometimes I do the hour pointe class). I do a bit of additional exercise each day, just plies, tendus, and rises, and almost every day I just turn on music and go crazy. Sometimes my crazy dancing inspires me to focus a bit and work on something I've learned in class, but, hey, I just LOVE to move!

QUESTION: Do you study Vaganova, Cecchetti or RAD?
ANSWER: I'm not sure, but I think they're RAD.

QUESTION: How do you prepare for class? (i.e. stretching, conditioning, mental techniques, etc.)
ANSWER: Preparations for class involve drinking a lot of water and gentle stretching. I'm thoroughly convinced that stretching to the extent that will improve your range of motion while "cold" is an awful idea, but a bit of (again) gentle stretching to get out the stiffness and crunches from the morning is just fine.

QUESTION: How do you prepare your pointe shoes?
ANSWER: My teacher taught me to be gentle with pointe shoes. I use my hands to break the shank right where the "peak" of my arch is, and then I also use my hands to soften the upper edge of the box to make roll through easier, and walk on demi pointe, and then just dance through them. On my current Bloch Serenades, I've found that the shank is tricky to break in correctly, so even after dancing in them the first few times, I kept working the shank at home until I liked it, especially at the demi pointe.

QUESTION: What does it mean to you to get corrections in class? And what are the most common corrections you receive?
ANSWER: My teacher is great in that her corrections are more along the lines of "this is what you need to do, to do it right" instead of "this is what you're doing wrong." It sounds like a small difference, but for someone who is as hard as themselves as I am, constructive criticism when given in a more positive attitude is MUCH more constructive. As for what which corrections I usually get, it's keeping my knees straight. I hyperextend, and while some dancers want this, it causes me pain so I back off on extending my knees. It took me some time to find what it feels like to be straight, but not hyperextend. I still get the "straighten you knees" correction for extensions. Sometimes, I'm backing off to keep my knees happy, but sometimes I just try to extend as HIGH as I can and lose my form.

QUESTION: What's your favorite? Adagio or Allegro and why?
ANSWER: Adagio and allegro have their different challenges. My teacher likes to use Adagio for slow, strong, balance work, which can be really hard. However, I've never had to sit out Adagio, but I HAVE had to sit out allegro on account of my not bad but tender knee, which might become a bad knee. Still, when the knee feels OK, I prefer Allegro. With all those quick jumps, I can feel the calories burning!

QUESTION: Do you have a signature step, or one that comes easy to you
ANSWER: I LOVE pas de bouree en couru en pointe, but I won't say it comes easily. The pointe class I attend has a variety of levels, so my teacher gives options (and us grownups are more concerned about not hurting ourselves, and less concerned about impressing our peers). We had the option to try this step either still at the barre, holding the barre that ran along the wall while moving forward or moving forward away from the barre. I was brave and bold enough to try away from the barre (but still within arm's reach!), and I just felt so long and strong! I actually love bourees for the fact that they are such a work out. I practice them in flat slippers as often as I can. They make me feel strong and graceful! I still have a long way to go before I get that lovely floaty, weightless look en pointe, but I still love it! And pas de chevalle! I also find it very pretty, and sometimes I look in the mirror not just to check my alignment but to look at how great we all look doing that step. Gorgeous!

QUESTION: After you've had a bad day, what motivates you to go to class? Does it lift your spirits?
ANSWER: After I’ve had a bad day what motivates me to go to class is just the chance to do something I love! I've actually struggled with depression, and the doctors and therapists I've seen have all encouraged me to stay active for mental health reasons. Have you heard of the "Runner's High?" While on a bad day I can slow to get in the groove, but I definitely get a "Dancer's High." I might be distracted during the first bit of warm ups, but then I gain my focus and all my life problems melt away as I focus on my technique.

QUESTION: Have you gone to a Summer Intensive (SI) before?
ANSWER: I have not attended a Summer Intenstive, but if there are any for adults I'd like to at least look into them. Doubt I'll have the time if I get a proper job, but it's fun to dream!

QUESTION: What sort of things do you do at home that help your dancing?
ANSWER:I *try* to do something every day to help with my dancing, but I'm not perfect. I do a good warm up with plies, tendus, and rises, and then I stretch big time. I have to be careful, as I did have a minor overextending injury from stretching cold, and since I haven't worked toward flexibility this way before hitting 20, I have to work more slowly and carefully. Still, I've improved a lot.

QUESTION: What's in your dance bag? Can we see a picture?
ANSWER: My dance bag is minimal.

Image hotlink - 'http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/smileywoman/GannsDanceBag_zpsa1978dfd.jpg'

I dress out and do my hair before I leave and just wear a comfortable dress or skirt to cover up. I bring my pointe shoes and pads (bun heads pro pads and a gel tip for the big toe), soft slippers, wallet, cell phone, water bottle, maybe ibuprofen, band aids, and/or medical tape as needed. If my dodgy knee is being annoying, I'll also bring along my knee support strap.

QUESTION: What was the biggest obstacle that you encountered in ballet and how did you overcome it? How has it helped you become a better dancer?
ANSWER: I've mentioned this before on DDN, but my biggest obstacle is my vision. Even with corrective lenses, I'm legally blind, as I have problems with my retinas and optic nerves. At the barre, it's not too big a deal; I've learned to be very aware of my body placement because I'm so nearsighted it's hard to see myself well in the mirror. The typical ballet attire of a black leotard and pink tights also helps us visually impaired dancers. Seeing a big difference between the torso and the limbs helps, so even though the adult classes at my studio don't have much of a dress code, that's what I wear because the high contrast is so much easier to see in the mirror. And, now that I think about it, I should go buy one of those hip alignment belts. Haven't used one before, but I imagine they'd help me a lot. However, there's also a greater problem with my eyes. I have to work much harder than most people to focus which makes spotting darn near impossible. It took me a whole lot of work just to get a single pirouette, and while I did get a sloppy double once, I count that in rare phenomenon like Halley's Comet. I think the best thing I did was let go and realize my limits. I can work within them. I'll just work on doing a perfect single before I start worrying.

I think the best thing I did was let go and realize my limits.

Editors Note: wise words, indeed.

Another challenge my eyes gave me is skewing my sense of balance. When I first started (as an adult, I don't remember starting when I was little), I felt like I had the strength to balance properly, but, your eyes are such a big part of it. It required more strength for me just to hold a demi pointe relieve because it was ALL strength and little visual sense of balance. The good news is, once I had the strength to balance without needing my crummy eyesight, I learned to pull up with my whole body, not because I was told to, but because I had to.

Another challenge my eyes gave me is skewing my sense of balance.

Editor’s Note: I too have a balance disorder and understand the challenges of dancing.

QUESTION: What dance goals are you currently working towards, and what future goals do you have?
ANSWER: My short term goals are to continue working on my technique, flexibility, and strength. My long term goal is going back to school for special education and more than anything I would love to give special needs dancers the chance to learn real technique classes. There are already many opportunities for people with special needs to do dance therapy and creative movement, but I'd love to give these dancers the chance to learn real technique, only adapted to their needs. I mean, if sports can be adapted to suit special athletes then why not dance? I firmly believe that no matter what a person's disabilities may be, they deserve every opportunity that their typical peers have. I'd love to see that in the classroom, and would also love to see that in extracurricular activities as well.

QUESTION: Do you ever get pressured by your studio to look a certain way? Do you disagree with studios that do this?
ANSWER: In the adult classes there is no pressure from the studio to look a certain way. Because of the wonderful teachers at my studio, I can't imagine the other, younger classes feeling that pressure from the school either. Of course, this kind of pressure can come from other students, the media, parents, and internal strife, so a dancer's body image can be affected by many factors. I don't like studios that encourage a certain look simply for the sake of body aesthetics while putting extra pressure on students who don't quite fit the mold. I understand why companies want to have a certain size and shape to their dancers because a uniform size and shape DOES look better on stage, but I don't think any studio should pressure a student into looking a certain way. If a student is truly pre professional then they will work toward meeting that ideal on their own. The thing is, not all students are pre professional, so why on earth should a studio work toward giving a dancer a negative body image? I'm sorry if I went off rambling, I have poor body image, and I am strongly against anyone encouraging a change in someone's natural look unless it's for health reasons. I am immensely grateful that I have the chance to study ballet in a setting of adults ranging from 19 year olds coming back from a few years break, through senior citizens first starting. I guess the short answer, is realistically a certain look can make sense on a professional level, but shame on any studio who discourages a different look if all others factor are equal.

QUESTION: How many pairs of pointe shoes do you have? What is your favorite brand and style of pointe shoes (and why are they your favorite?)
ANSWER: I'm still on my first pair of Bloch Serenades. I love the way they fit, but the shank is too hard for me, it's starting to feel perfect while the box is dying, and I think the vamp might be a teensy bit too high. I have a long way to go until I find my "soul shoe." I really want to try Gaynor Minden pointe shoes, but I've heard these aren't recommended for beginners (my teacher gave me the OK to try them out, but I think I want to have a better idea of what I need in a shoe before I drop that kind of money). We'll see what happens at my next fitting.

Performance

QUESTION: What was your first dance performance and what was your role in it? How old were you?
ANSWER: My first dance performance was when I took class with Miss Bess. I don't remember anything other than I LOVED the costume. It was a red leotard with a square neckline trimmed in silver sequins and a matching skirt. It stayed in my dress up box until I grew out of it. I LOVED that costume!

QUESTION: Do you have any pre-performance rituals?
ANSWER: Currently, the closest thing I have to a performance is a masquerade at the sci-fi/fantasy conventions that I attend. Essentially, it’s a costume contest with a presentation portion (and, yes, I made the tutu in my interview picture!). It didn't take me long to figure out that I feel like and look like less of an awkward dork with music on and some simple choreography, so these are the closest I get to a performance. Anyway, to prepare I go to the hotel bar for a drink which wears off by the time I go on stage since the call is early. Hey, I'm the kind of person who gets so excited I shake, so a drink helps, haha. In the green room, I keep bouncing or jumping and stretching to keep my muscles warm. People find this funny when I'm doing it in a full, period correct Victorian dress!

QUESTION: What is your biggest fear during a performance?
ANSWER: My biggest fear during a performance is wardrobe malfunctions! As I've said, the one chance I get to perform is showing off the costumes I make at sci-fi cons, so a costume falling apart on stage would be as bad as my dancing falling apart!

QUESTION: What has your best stage moment thus far?
ANSWER: My best stage moment was before I started ballet seriously (again, a sci-fi con contest). My friend and I took what we learned from high school musicals and did a piece to Elton John's "Better off Dead." She was Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd (a compilation from the film and several stage interpretations), and I was a lady from a Japanese graphic novel who, in that fictional world, was responsible for the Jack the Ripper murders. Anyway, it had been a good while since we had done any of our high school play stuff so after we did the tech run, my friend and I walked off the stage trying to hold back our giggles and itching to do it again! We got best in call.

QUESTION: When you are on stage, do you lose yourself in the role (enjoying your experience without worrying about technique) OR are you concentrating on the steps more and overly worried about technique OR do you just say to yourself forget about everything and dance from the 'heart'?
ANSWER: Oh my gosh I lose myself on stage! Again, this was before I did ballet but back in high school we did "Les Miserable," and even though I was only in the chorus, I feel like that was my best performance EVER because of the amount of fire and emotion even the chorus line had to have. I've tried to have that kind of commitment and passion, but I haven't been able to duplicate it. I felt very similarly doing the "Better off Dead." Also, the few performances I did with college belly dancing taught me that when you work enough on your technique and rehearse until you can do the routine in your sleep, you can let go, dance from your heart, and have your technique so ingrained in your muscle memory that you don't need to worry about it.

QUESTION: What variation would you love to do or inspires you the most?
ANSWER: As a dancer I want to learn Odette's Act 2 variation but it doesn't really inspire me. What does inspire me is Copellia. As a costumer, I have SO many ideas for Copellia. I'm into the Steampunk scene, which is Victorian inspired science fiction, a lot of Jules Verne, a lot of gears, and a lot of frills. I'm sure you can imagine how a Coppelia doll dance could fit in!

QUESTION: Do you perform pas de deux? If so, what do you look for in a partner?
ANSWER: I do not perform pas de deux, but if I did I imagine I would look for the same thing I like in social dance partners: a good leader who is confident, and aware of how his body language affects his partner.

QUESTION: If you could perform in any ballet in any role, what would it be and why?
ANSWER: Since Swan Lake is my favorite ballet I'd say performing Odette and Odile would be my dream. I love to see them both played by the same dancer! The music and choreography is just so beautiful, and from an acting point of view, it would be an interesting challenge to play such different personalities and dreams. Oh, and I'd also want to make the costumes myself!

Philosophical Questions

QUESTION: What sacrifices has your family made so that you can dance?
ANSWER: While I can take the bus to my studio my mom, dad, or grandmother will give me a ride to and from my classes when they are able. It seems like a small thing, but since I cannot drive myself, and the bus system in my area seems pretty expensive to me both in cost and duration of the ride due to connections or I walk a mile to the main station, I really love that my parents and grandmother are willing to drive me around, and I always remember to thank them and say how much I love them!

QUESTION: What sacrifices have you made for ballet?
ANSWER: Mostly, fitting it into my budget! I also love sewing costumes, as I've mentioned, and I live in an area that has a lot of great bars and restaurants within walking distance, so I have a LOT of bartender friends who I usually only see if I stop by for a beer or a glass of wine. Well, this gets expensive fast. After my rent, bills, and groceries are paid for, I have to choose between my loves of dance, costuming, and eating and drinking out. I've started taking on few new sewing projects each year, and working more slowly and carefully on what I do work on. As for the eating and drinking out, that's harder to cut back on, but I'm trying, and I'm also reminding myself that I'm saving empty calories. Shame, though, the empty ones taste the best!

QUESTION: Does dance affect your social life in any way? How? Do your friends understand?
ANSWER: Dance does not affect my social life too much. Like I said, I don't see my bartender friends as often when I'm trying to save money for dance, but I've never had to turn down social gatherings on account of dance. In fact, I've made a few good friends through my dance classes, which is AWESOME for me. I'm living in the same city I grew up in, after going to college in another area and making most of my friends there. Honestly, there are very few people from high school who I was close enough to keep in touch, so I love any chance to meet people local to this area. My ballet classes have helped with that a lot!

QUESTION: If you could meet any dancer, who would it be?
ANSWER: It would be a toss-up between Svetlana Zakharova and Anna Pavlova. Svetlana is my favorite modern dancer, but Pavlova was so lovely and such an innovator. Plus, I'd kill to see her dance in that Dying Swan costume in person!

QUESTION: What do you eventually want to do with ballet? Can you see yourself using it as a springboard to other related careers?
ANSWER: I think I may have mentioned it before, but I'd love to teach ballet to special needs dancers. I'm working on going back to school for special education, and I got to thinking about dance opportunities for special needs dancers. I've read a bit about some studios that offer REAL technique classes adapted for special dancers, and that's what I'd love to do. I think it will be quite a while before I have the experience with special education and with dance to pursue this, but it's my big dream. The Special Olympics have shown us that sports opportunities are great for differently-abled people and that special athletes can still be very talented, so why not dance?

QUESTION: If you could ask six famous people to dinner, who would you invite and why?
ANSWER: The six famous people I would invite to dinner would be my two favorite dancers (Pavlova and Zakharova) of course! And also, David Bowie (my favorite musician), David Lynch (my favorite film director), Frank Lloyd Wright, and Salvador Dali. That group might make for some really interesting conversation.

QUESTION: Have you ever thought about not doing ballet? What kept you going?
ANSWER: Within recent memory, no I have not thought about not doing ballet. Though, I have no idea why I quit when I was little, maybe it was my choice, I don't know. Now I'd only quit if I didn't have the money for it or was severely injured.

QUESTION: If you could dance anywhere in the world (not only in a theatre) where would you dance?
ANSWER: Only the world? I want to dance on THE MOON! Heh. Seriously, though, I don't know. Anywhere where people can see me and be positive and supportive, that's all I need.

QUESTION: If you could change anything about ballet, what would it be, and why?
ANSWER: That's hard to say. I've made it clear that I'm not fond of the typical super skinny body ideal, but I don't know that I'd change it. As I said, companies want a uniform look for a reason, and I understand that. Now, something I feel more certain about is the attitude non-dancers that male dancers and weak, sissy, or girly (I also hate that being "girly" is a bad thing, but that is a whole other issue). I wonder if the people who think this have ever even seen a professional male dancer, you can really see the muscles through those tights. Not to mention the strength it takes to do pas de deux, big jumps, etc. Heck, I bet male dancers are probably much stronger than most of the people who criticize them.

QUESTION: Who would you most like to dance with and what would you dance?
ANSWER: I would most like to dance with my dad. After I visited my parents recently and we had some wine we got to talking about ballet, and even though he's never danced, he has a good body for it: athletic, good natural turnout, high arches, good balance, and strong legs. As for what we'd dance, I just want to do a class with him. I wish he didn't have foot tendinitis and knee problems so he could at least have the option of going to some ballet classes without hurting.

QUESTION: What is one tip that you would love to share with other DDNers?
ANSWER: The one tip I’d like to share with other DDNers is to not compare yourself to others in class. Not only will it make you feel discouraged, you could be using that energy to improve your own technique.

QUESTION: What would surprise people about you?
ANSWER: What would surprise people about me is that I have TINY feet! My Bloch Serenades are a size 2C, and my street size is a 5/5.5 (US). Even though it seems like it would be obvious because I'm short and have a small bone structure, some people are still shocked to see how small my shoes are.

QUESTION: How does it feel to be featured in Get the Pointe?
ANSWER: I feel lucky and a bit nervous to have been featured in Get the Pointe since I was picked randomly. I hope I don't sound too silly. Or, if I do sound silly, I hope I'm the likable kind of silly!

6 Replies to Get the Pointe: Dance.net Ballet Interview #42 - Featuring GannTheGlorious

re: Get the Pointe: Dance.net Ballet Interview #42 - Featuring GannTheGlorious
By hummingbird
On Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:15 PM
QUESTION: What is one tip that you would love to share with other DDNers?
ANSWER: The one tip I’d like to share with other DDNers is to not compare yourself to others in class. Not only will it make you feel discouraged, you could be using that energy to improve your own technique.

This is so true, thank you for saying it!

And thank you both for the interview.
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Oct 21, 2012 03:14 AM
I'm number 42, the answer to life, the universe, and everything! Heh, pardon my geek moment. I had to say it.

Also, ewwwww, looking at that dance bag photo made me see just how nasty and worn out my leather slippers look. I really need to get new ones ASAP, adding that to the to do lits.
By hummingbird
On Sun Oct 21, 2012 03:24 AM
But the most comfortable shoes are the ones that are well loved and abused :P
By balletgirl4ever
On Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:45 AM
Great interview, really ineteresting. Well done :)
By funkiejmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:58 PM
so nice to meet you, Gann!

Comment #10119762 deleted

ReplySendWatch