Forum: Advice / Stretching

Middle split... damn it?
By MySunShine
On Sat Oct 20, 2012 03:44 PM

So here I am again with my old problem. I have noticed that after I start stretching for my middle split (after I've warmed up, doing all the usual stretches known to the world) after 2-3 days I start getting a bit of pain in my hips and muscles connected to the bone (so when I'm sitting, for example, I feel that bone and the muscle near), after those 2-3 days the pain grows bigger and in a week or two I feel kind of chronical pain (shooting pain) even when I'm not moving. Actually sitting makes it even worse because it feels as if my weight is exactly over the place that feels painful. The only thing doctors do is prescribe physiotherapy, yea that's great it helps for a while, and if I don't stretch the middle split everything is great. However, I do want my split, and still haven't figured out the reason why this happens! What in the world could I possibly be doing wrong? Besides my muscles are really soft, I drink enough, I'm not pushing until it's painful, and it's only like 20 cm or maybe less to the floor, not so much left. I really don't understand what can be wrong?

6 Replies to Middle split... damn it?

re: Middle split... damn it?
By Aridancer
On Sun Oct 21, 2012 04:02 PM
You said that you have been to a doctor, but a normal doctor might not be able to help. Try going to someone who specializes in athletes, they will be able to help you as a dancer, and not as a normal patient.
By MySunShine
On Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:53 AM
Edited by MySunShine (247846) on 2012-10-21 10:54:43
Of course, I did that, I didn't go to a normal doctor, or the one who specializes in athletes, I went to the one that is supposed to work with ballet injuries and dancers. It's kind of difficult (nearly impossible) to find a decent doctor here. They only talk with phrases learnt from a book, never bother to try find the reason and only cure symptoms.. that's as far as it normally goes. I'd rather figure it out myself, than rely on their help hehehe...>_<

P.s. thanks for the advice though. :P
By dancer7210
On Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:04 AM
try stretching for your middle splits (not doing them yet) first, then stretching everything else for a few middle then going back to your middle splits. I'm no athletic doctor, but I do have personal experience:)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:35 AM
Well, not everyone physically CAN do the middle splits. I've been very close to flat, but I hit a point where I couldn't go further. I would stretch more, but that caused a problem with my hips, I stretched the same, but saw no progress. Sorry to say, but if you're doing everything well, then the answer might be "you've found your limit" for this particular stretch.
By MySunShine
On Mon Oct 29, 2012 06:38 PM
dancer7210, yea I am trying that too, thanks.
AlwaysOnStage, well, I thought about that, but that's very unlikely, because all my teachers said I should have a 100% turnout and I can easily do everything with my legs and hips except for the middle split lol. Besides I feel some odd muscle moving around that area. And, for example, last time I've been stretching for my middle split and after I stood up I could feel the pain in my hip area, then I put a leg with bent knee on the barre and tried to do plie but not in the direction of the barre but in the direction of the leg, every time I have some odd feeling like the muscle is moving starting from my hip going down to under the knee, and after maybe 7 plies I felt a bit of sharp pain with a bit of numb feeling (like when your elbow suddenly falls off the table if you get what I mean), then the muscle moved and no pain anymore... As if the muscle or/and the hip were released. I think there's just some problem with the muscles surrounding the hip. Although I suppose I have a bit of inflammation maybe so it's still painful, but that doesn't matter, I wanna figure out what triggers this situation everytime. Hmm.. I think this came out pretty complicated :D

ReplySendWatch