Forum: Advice / Stretching

What's wrong with my needle?
By jazzpanda
On Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:26 PM

Whenever I try to do a needle/6 o'clock, I can't get my leg higher than 90 degrees. I am way more flexible than that. When I am in my right splits, I can reach forward fairly well, but when I'm in a needle it just doesn't work... Also my back is really rounded when I try to do this position. I would've thought it was a matter of strength, but whenever we do needle kicks my leg is at the exact same height. It just seems to stop at 90 degrees. Any ideas why? I'm open to stretches too. Thanks!

3 Replies to What's wrong with my needle?

re: What's wrong with my needle?
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:46 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about a penché, right? (I've never heard it called a needle, that's all.) If so, it's not just about flexibility. You do have to have the flexibility to have your leg in that position, but you also need the strength to get it (and hold it) there. I would talk to your dance teacher about this; she might have better tips on how to strengthen the correct muscles to bring it all the way up to 180°.
By jazzpanda
On Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:45 AM
Sorry, I should've clarified this! If you reach down and touch your toes, then kick one leg up in the air, that's a needle. It's like a penche but your torso is dropped.
Here's a video on how to do one-They show it at 15 seconds:
www.youtube.com . . .

Thanks for the advice! I will keep working on it.
By dancer7210
On Sat Nov 24, 2012 03:58 AM
I don't know if this is the whole problem, but try not to round your back. I got up and tried doing a needle with my back rounded, and I had the same problem you did. Try to just stand there for at least a few seconds with your hands on the ground like the position your in right before you kick your leg up. As you stand there, focus in your back being straight down, not rounded. Once it is not rounded, try again, but make sure as you kick up, you dont go back to rounding your back!

ReplySendWatch