Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Improv exercises -
By elee615
On Tue Oct 23, 2012 03:56 PM

I always try to include some sort of improvisation to my classes at all ages whether it be with my little ones creating a diva walks, freeze dance, creating poses, mimicking animalistic movement up to my older kids restricting their movement by taking away turns , jumps, and kicks and asking them to move. Sometimes I'll say okay create movement with no arms, or with on leg on the ground, or one Hand on the ground. I turn the lights off ( we have Christmas lights up for sight)

I use a bunch of exercises, but was wondering what other ways people may introduce improv to their students, or what they do for their older kids to build their creativity. Thanks in advance!

1 Replies to Improv exercises -

re: Improv exercises -
By gottadance12member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 23, 2012 05:16 PM
For older kids, I will give them a type of movement to go across the floor with. For example, the first time could be very small movements, and then very big movements, or starting small and getting bigger as they go across the floor. Another good one is to have them take cues from each other.. So they go across the floor in pairs and react to each others movement. Finally, an exercise that I use sometimes is to have them stand in their own space around the room with eyes closed as I call out body parts. Starting with head, neck, shoulders, arms, hands, fingers, hips etc etc. Eventually they can open their eyes and actually start to move around the room (legs, feet, etc)

Hope that helps!

ReplySendWatch