Forum: Advice / Stretching

scar tissue stretching
By darkdancer845member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 24, 2012 02:57 AM

Hey everyone! A few years ago I tore my left hamstring very very bad but refused surgery and opted for intense PT instead. I have gained back strength and some flexibility but I'm at a standstill now because of scar tissue. It is soooo not stretchy and I can't get my split all the way down because it just won't give. Has anyone here had any sucess breaking up and/or stretching out scar tissue?? I'm desparate :(
~SMM

2 Replies to scar tissue stretching

re: scar tissue stretching
By boleyngrrl
On Wed Oct 24, 2012 03:13 AM
Your PT should be able to help you with this if you're still going to them, but there are several ways to break up scar tissue.

The first way is to freeze a cup of water (in a dixie cup or something like it so you can tear the bottom off). Make sure it is completely frozen or you'll have a very wet and cold surprise after you start massaging your hamstring with it. So after you tear the bottom of the cup off, massage the area with the scar tissue. It will hurt if you're doing it right. Massage it with the ice for about 10 minutes at a time, and you should be a little sore afterwards, but it'll feel better in the long run.

Another option is using a tennis ball, baseball, or golf ball (depending on the size you need) to break up the tissue. Use a similar technique to the ice massage, only you won't get the nice numbing feeling. It will be very good for you, though.

The last option is to go to a professional, whether that's a PT or a masseuse. Explain to them your problem, and they will do a massage to break up the tissue.

Good luck--scar tissue is a pain, but congrats on getting back dancing! :)
re: scar tissue stretching
By dancer7210
On Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:51 PM
Hmmmm there seems to be alot of people with pulled hamstrings on here! If you look around DDN there are a lot of other posts that should help you with everything you need.

ReplySendWatch