Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Cars & Driving
Selling Car / Buying Used Car
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:20 AM

So after a pretty awful day with my car I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's going up for sale.

Back story -

This morning it had been raining and as I was on an access road that curves to get onto the highway I realized that my tires were causing my car to loose control. I somehow managed to get to the side of the road before almost hitting a guard rail...very scary.

Well, I got it towed (love USAA, free towing with my roadside assistance!) and found out that all four my tires were just bald and needed to be replaced (yes yes, spare the lectures on car upkeep...), I needed a new battery, and a few other small things. Because I am broke my parents generously helped me out with the payment and then my step-dad through out there that with these repairs it might be a good time to sell my car and purchase one with fewer miles on it. He also mentioned that he would be giving me money for this purchase which is just beyond amazing and so thoughtful. I have a great step-dad :)

So where do I start? I've got the Blue Book value of my car although I'd probably sell it for about $1,000 less than what KBB gave me due to the fact that there are some rather large dents and my car smells of smoke. But how do I sell my car? CraigsList? An ad somewhere else online? I know I wouldn't get that much out of it if I went to a place like CarMaxx but the car would be a great car for a young driver who is driving to school or whatnot.

And then where to start for lower priced cars? I have a feeling my budget is going to be around $8,000 but of course would rather be around $6,500-7,000 if I find the right car. So where have you guys had luck with used cars that aren't expensive? I've been looking on CraigsList and Cars.com...should I hit some of the lots in my area? My dad is going to be helping me out with my search since I am not so car savvy...

Thanks guys! Any tips are appreciated!

6 Replies to Selling Car / Buying Used Car

re: Selling Car / Buying Used Car
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Sat Oct 27, 2012 01:17 AM
Is there a specific reason why you seem to be avoiding going to a dealership to just trade in your old car and get a new one? Or maybe you aren't avoiding it... are you asking if there is a better way? In my opinion there really isn't, or it least it isn't worth it to me.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sat Oct 27, 2012 01:20 AM
Facebook now has some buy, sell, trade pages. Check and see if your area has one. I've sold a couple of cars on craigslist but I was just trying unload them so I listed them really cheap. It's my experience that craigslist buyers expect rock bottom prices. The mileage on your car is going to affect the price, if you have 150k or more especially.

When you sell the car, be sure to file that paper with the state that says you've sold the car and lists the buyer. This releases you from any liability that the new owners may incure before they change the title. Things like toll fees, parking tickets, accidents, etc.

kk~
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Fri Oct 26, 2012 07:35 PM
Edited by Brittany (36942) on 2012-10-26 19:41:38
hooray4jj wrote:

Is there a specific reason why you seem to be avoiding going to a dealership to just trade in your old car and get a new one? Or maybe you aren't avoiding it... are you asking if there is a better way? In my opinion there really isn't, or it least it isn't worth it to me.

Not avoiding it just honestly didn't even know it was an option or or even if it was if I would get the most money out of it that way since there are some pretty decent dents, the smoke, and just because of the wear and tear on my car.

To give more details...my car isn't really that old but it has been through a few things in it's lifetime including two trips that put 1,000+ miles on it each trip. I'm at about 150k right now in mileage and it's a 2005 Toyota Camry. It's really a good car, runs just fine at this point in time..I just don't know the way to go about selling it. KBB quoted my car as being worth about $4,300 and I was thinking of trying to get about $2,500-3,000 out of it after I clean it up real nicely.

All of my cars have been gifts..my first car was given to me when I started driving, my second car was given to me when I wrecked the first one, and my third was given to me when my parents wanted a new car and knew I needed something better to move from GA to TX. I've never been through a process of getting rid of one car and getting another so there's nothing that I am avoiding, I'm just ignorant on the matter.

Actually came across my title today when I was grabbing my insurance so I've definitely got that handy for when the time comes!

Oh! Also, any make/model suggestions are totally welcome. I'm looking for something smaller than my Camry (I used to drive a Toyota Echo and then a Corolla so am used to smaller cars...I'm not stuck on Toyota, my parents are lol), don't mind the thought of a 2-door, good on gas of course...
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sat Oct 27, 2012 02:36 AM
Don't we have stickies on buying used cars?

You probably already know all of this, but....

And I'm certainly not the pro, but my late brother was an auto mechanic.

if you are going for a used car, get the vin #, and research that.
Bring a mechanic with you whom you can trust, and have him go over the entire vehicle.
check out Cars.com

Be ready with bluebook estimates.

I've heard that Hondas do well.
A lot of people are going the Prius route.
There was an article in AAA about electric cars being ready in 2016.
Read consumer reports.
Read BBB reports.
google the current lemons.

Test drive the thing with all the windows down. If it has some weird noises that don't sound right.

What is the contract with the car? Is it to be sold as is?

Just what I can think of. I'm sure I really left a lot out.

:?

S.
re: Selling Car / Buying Used Car (karma: 1)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:44 PM
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2012-10-26 22:48:50
I don't know what your time is worth to you. Mine is worth a lot to me, and having to hazard phone calls from Craigslist wackos (for who knows how long) thinking you owe them a great deal does not sound like a good time to me. If you want to do it yourself, more power to ya, clean it up good, put up some signs and ads and do some research on your car. Then you have to worry about payment and not getting ripped off and all of the paperwork. (If you do decide to try selling it yourself, check out www.autotrader.com). Any reputable dealer will get you a decent amount on a trade in, in this economy any used car can be valuable to them. Is it going to be exactly what your car is worth? No, but thems the breaks of car ownership, they will at least get you an honest deal that is higher than something like CarMaxx. Visit some dealerships, act serious, they will give you an idea about what they would give you on trade in, which they might get right out of NADA or KBB. I think buying a car is one of the worst things, I just want it over and done quickly as possible. Are you sure you want to sell it after you just had money put into it? I don't know exactly how the payments are gonna work out for you, but the thing about cars is that you almost never get what your car is worth in a sale... then you get your new car and as soon as you drive it off the lot it drops in value. If you are financing it, your cost is raising once again. It is just a huge money pit. Totally understand if it is worth it to you, I am just one of those people that will drive my car basically into its grave until I can afford to buy my next one in cash.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sat Oct 27, 2012 04:52 AM
D'oh!

I just saw an ad on MSN... "Show me the carfax!"

and hooray4jj had some great stuff!

S.

ReplySendWatch