Forum: Arts / Books

Books
J. K. Rowling's new book, The Casual Vacancy
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Oct 28, 2012 02:00 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2012-10-28 14:05:52 Posted too soon...now I don't know what I think!

www.nytimes.com . . .

If I was going to read this review, I should have done so before I plunked down cold cash for the book.

Now that the well is already poisoned, does anyone else have something to say about it? I was going to start reading it this afternoon, but now I'm thinking I might do laundry instead!

EDIT: Now I don't know what I think. I just found a good review. www.guardian.co.uk . . . I guess I should get off the computer and pick up a book.

Keep On Dancing*

8 Replies to J. K. Rowling's new book, The Casual Vacancy

re: J. K. Rowling's new book, The Casual Vacancy
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sun Oct 28, 2012 08:36 PM
I downloaded it the other day so as soon as diary of a submissive is done I will give it a shot
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sun Oct 28, 2012 09:16 PM
I bought it, made it about 50 pages in and then gave it to my mom. I thought that I just wasn't into it because I was preoccupied with midterms, but in hindsight (and after reading that review), it just wasn't very engaging :?
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:31 PM
eeek! I was so ready to purchase this! In fact I tried to go to the bookstore here today but they were closed. My hesitation now is more due to what I am reading about the plot, my understanding of the book until now was very vague. Seeing some reviews, I don't think I would even get engaged in this kind of storyline. I will wait until I can get it at the library!
By KaydeeJayde Comments: 190, member since Thu Jul 21, 2011
On Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:19 AM
I didn't enjoy it at all. I forced myself to read the whole thing, thinking it might get better or pick up as time went on, but I was at the last page and it still hadn't picked up. The writing style is VERY J.K Rowling, but it's just not interesting to me. I felt it was worth a try, being that I do enjoy the style of Rowling's writing very much, but I do feel that she tried too hard to write a book for adults and have it be unmistakable as a book for adults, hence the onset of a barrage of swearing and violence quite early on. I bought it but I do wish I'd waited until it became available at my library.
By sworddancer2 Comments: 158, member since Wed Jun 11, 2008
On Wed Oct 31, 2012 08:55 PM
I loved it, but I'm really into those kinds of stories. It reminded me a bit of the show "keeping up appearances" but in a smaller setting. I think a lot of people who were disappointed expected a fantasy novel, but it's completely different from Harry Potter.
On Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:17 AM
^OMG Keeping Up Appearances, is that the one with Hyacinthe Bucket? I thought that show was hilarious, but I haven't seen it in years. We used to get it on PBS but I don't know where it went.

I'm so glad you shared this insight. I am on page 47 and it feels like 470.... I keep trying to push through it, but I have to say that right now it seems like a lot of work to stick with it.

Years ago I read a book I almost gave up on when I reached page 100 and I was still just not feeling it. Shortly thereafter I couldn't put it down, and it was a big one as I recall (The Poisonwood Bible). I keep hoping this book will be the same.

I'll keep you posted. Right now I'm going to distract myself with the DDN Halloween Party. www.dance.net . . . Maybe I should bring a few books for the shy guests.

Keep On Dancing*
re: J. K. Rowling's new book, The Casual Vacancy (karma: 1)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Dec 15, 2012 06:54 AM
I just finished it!

Everyone I talked too hadn't finished the book. They got between 50 and 180 pages and gave up. I am glad I read the whole thing.

I think people had a problem with it because it was sad. People tend to want happiness and for everything to work out. This book was realistic. And honestly refreshing.

I'm not saying it was the best book ever, but definitely was not the worst! I liked that the characters didn't do what they should have done.
On Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:03 PM
^I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I was almost ready to give up on it, and then, I couldn't put it down.

JK R is such a good writer. The novel was a completely different experience than the Potter books, but it really was an excellent story. Dense, subtle, and worth the time it took to plow through the beginning.

I'm kind of sorry I read the review before I read the book.

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch