Forum: Irish / Irish - Technique & Training

Question about skips
By IrisCH
On Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 AM

Question about skips

I recently went to a workshop and I saw this movement in someone’s steps like the girl in the video does at 1:12 in her set dance: www.youtube.com . . .

I was wondering if anyone knows how to do them? Any advice?

I guess it is a kind of a skip…

Thanks!

6 Replies to Question about skips

re: Question about skips
By hornpipefeet
On Wed Oct 31, 2012 03:31 PM
Hello :)

I know what it is!!
hum. hard to explain though but I'll try!
I'd tell the words "Slide up front" for that movement.. so if you start with your right foot in front (weight on right foot) you do the slide with the left foot going toward the front (like your toes just coming to slide on the ground to make a sound), then on the up you make a little jump on your right foot and land on pointe, and then the down with the left foot in front :)
Hope that helps! (of course maybe re-watch the video to understand more easily what I mean haha! )
By Lunamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 31, 2012 04:28 PM
From what I'm seeing it's like a drum with a double toe, not really a skip. You tip your front foot forward and your back foot does a quick double toe in the back. You end up with your weight on the front foot.

In the video it seems like she is pausing on her toe but really it's just a low double toe in the back. I have these a lot in my steps. They might have a different name but I've always known them as a variation of "drums".
By hornpipefeet
On Wed Oct 31, 2012 08:25 PM
Edited by hornpipefeet (253459) on 2012-10-31 20:27:09
Edited by hornpipefeet (253459) on 2012-10-31 21:35:53
Luna, I'm just not sure this is just a double toe in the back, because she puts her weight (for a VERY LITTLE time) on her toe and then lands on the front foot before doing the second toe.
Maybe I'm wrong, too haha but I thought that was that :)

**Edit: Sorry, I sound very stubborn hhaha! I don't use to (well, I'm a little stubborn, but really I don't want to act like I know best 'cause that's not what I want!! :P)
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Thu Nov 01, 2012 02:58 AM
Wondering what would happen if you just asked underneath the video, and just see what she would say.

Seems as if a lot of people enjoyed her dancing.
By hornpipefeet
On Thu Nov 01, 2012 03:34 AM
Hahaha ShadowLunaCat, this is actually a very good idea ! :)
So bad I don't remember what my youtube account was.
Thanks though!
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 06:30 PM
We call it a cramp roll. Pm me for instructions. :)

ReplySendWatch