Forum: Arts / Religion

Religion
God hates ..........
By houndrfriendPremium member Comments: 636, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 04:23 AM
Edited by houndrfriend (103518) on 2012-11-06 04:32:11 thought of something

No its not trolling shocking. I wrote that because that is what this post is about. I have to make the headline interesting. I am sorry about the drawing. That is the best trhat I can do when I am in a hurry. The dark thing sticking out is a tongue. Well "god hates..." Have you seen those religious people holding up placards? It was on a current affairs show where I live. I think they may be based on the Baptist church. I think they must have brainwashed themselves so they are not thinking straight. They went to a funeral holding up signs "god hates so and so". That is very extreme. We have freedom of religion but could they be breaking any law? What about disturbing the peace. I have heard of that in American movies but is there such a thing? Also,while writing about unusual religious groups,has anyone talked to the Amish? What do they do if someone gets sick? Are there Amish doctors?

24 Replies to God hates ..........

re: God hates ....
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2895, member since Thu Aug 17, 2006
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:15 PM
Is that Walter White?
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:32 PM
I will let you know. Maybe its my imaginary friend or some unnamed person on DD.
By SparrowCatPremium member Comments: 289, member since Sun Jun 03, 2012
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 07:43 PM
Westboro Baptist church.

www.godhatesfags.com
re: God hates .... (karma: 3)
By Sakura_Efreet Comments: 707, member since Fri May 02, 2008
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 07:50 PM
You sure this isn't a troll post?? lol

As someone who grew up in Baptist churches... 95% of Baptists are not like the Westboro church! I refuse to put the word Baptist in their name - because they definitely are not Baptist, or Christian, as far as I'm concerned. Such hateful people. :'(
re: God hates .... (karma: 2)
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 07:56 PM
SparrowCat wrote:

Westboro Baptist church.

www.godhatesfags.com

Being English the first thing that I thought of was that God hates cigarettes.

Ok, I'm going to have another coffee now...
re: God hates .... (karma: 1)
By RinceorNosretep Comments: 1027, member since Fri Oct 23, 2009
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 09:05 PM
Your friend looks like a monkey. Awfully hairy... and how kind of you to teach him to wear glasses! Near-sighted monkeys have rights, too. I hope he doesn't belong to the Westboro church.
By SparrowCatPremium member Comments: 289, member since Sun Jun 03, 2012
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 09:10 PM
Sakura_Efreet wrote:

You sure this isn't a troll post?? lol

As someone who grew up in Baptist churches... 95% of Baptists are not like the Westboro church! I refuse to put the word Baptist in their name - because they definitely are not Baptist, or Christian, as far as I'm concerned. Such hateful people. :'(

As someone who generally isn't fond of most churches, I agree wholeheartedly with you. They are definitely off the mark (by a long shot)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:39 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2012-11-06 23:41:08 typo
Also,while writing about unusual religious groups,has anyone talked to the Amish? What do they do if someone gets sick? Are there Amish doctors?

The Amish rarely have doctors in their own communities, but do use the medical centers in Pennsylvania. Most of them do not have much higher education, yet they are patient and humble and willing to seek out state of the art facilities when needed. There are actually certain congenital conditions peculiar to the Amish because of their frequent intermarriage.

I've spend a great many hours in waiting rooms in Pediatriac hospitals with Amish families, waiting for surgeries to end and such, and I am always impressed by the huge amount of support they give each other. They are simple folk, but so kindhearted it doesn't seem to matter.

Keep On Dancing*
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Nov 07, 2012 09:42 AM
Yes, they're SO kindhearted they think we're all devil-worshiping sinners who are going straight to hell. So kindhearted they shun family members who convert to any other religion. That's the sort of kindheartedness I can do without, thanks. But they do make good pies.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Nov 09, 2012 03:12 PM
I am always impressed by the huge amount of support they give each other

Except when their daughter might want an education...then all hell breaks loose.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Fri Nov 09, 2012 06:48 PM
I love that you finally owned up to trolling. It's been a long time coming, buddy.
On Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2012-11-09 12:34:11 punctuition
Also,while writing about unusual religious groups,has anyone talked to the Amish? What do they do if someone gets sick? Are there Amish doctors?

Needless to say, I am not Amish, nor do a play an Amish woman on television, but I did feel qualified to answer this specific question posed as I have spend far too many hours in the Children's Hospital and made a few observations of my own based on human to human interaction, not an examination of the internal practices or beliefs of this or any other religious cult. As it happens, one of the hospitals where I spend the most time is in central Pennsylvania. It is a large medical center dedicated to serving the needs of rural Pennsylvania (which happens to be the state with the largest rural population of all 50 states)and the Amish are a visible element of the diverse population they serve. My experiences are limited to the waiting rooms, often hours at a time, while everyone in the room is awaiting a visit from a surgeon about a family member.

I don't really have a dog in this fight but since it is unlikely that any practicing Amish person will enter this discussion I would like to address a few of the spin off comments generated by yet another fascinating "houndrfriend conversation starter".

And since this is a houndrfriend thread, I'll start by working backwards.
Except when their daughter might want an education...then all hell breaks loose.

Interestingly, this objection to education is not limited to daughters. There was a court case years ago involving the Amish and compulsory education. It is always interesting when any case involving the Amish erupts because the Amish do not vote, do not believe in involving government agencies of any kind in their families and faith communities, and a ton of other things. Issues of separation of church and state are a big DUH to them. They strive to be separate in most things.

The state of Pennsylvania finally reached a compromise with the Amish although state law requires all children between the ages of 6 and 16 to be enrolled in school full time (homeschooling and cyber school enrollment is high here). Children with special needs are entitled to public education until they are 21, or until they graduate from high school. Students who wish to drop out of school before they graduate from high school are not allowed to do so unless they are over 16 and have FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT. Amish communities do not have to adhere to this. Amish children must be educated until they are only 14 years old and only need to complete 5th grade . Boys and girls alike. From time to time Amish kids arrive at Penn State with their horses, to study veterinary medicine, but it is always with the blessing and support of their community. Their commitment is long term, and they don't start college with the "I'm not sure what I want to do yet" angst most other college freshmen carry. There is a great bit of difference between one "church" (sect)and another on many things, education included. One sect may encourage community self sufficiency by investing in educating their own vet, others may feel it takes the individual too far away from their family, upbringing, and Amish way of life and immerses them too much in "the world" and therefore relies on non Amish professionals. Community decisions are individual decisions (not really decisions at all, but not for me to judge.)

Still working backwards...

But they do make good pies.

Yes. And in this case, the "oddness" of the POV is something easily embraceable by us non Amish. When cutting a pie, the Amish will cut it into 4 quarters, not six, or eight, or even ten slices, as we've all seen presented on a dessert buffet table. If you order a piece of pie at a farmers market stand, you get 1/4 of a pie! Why? They believe it is selfish, or even greedy, to ask for a second portion of sweets, but they also believe that no one should leave the table wanting, so.... 1/4 pies for all! I can't begin to parse this one out. I also don't have a clue how Socrates, Buddha, or Jesus, would rule on the pie dilemma, but it doesn't really effect the quality of life of anyone I know except the chubby middle aged Amish who have had a few pieces too many and now have high blood pressure. (Unlike the rest of Americans.) I'm not even going to wonder about the spiritual issues of waste or gluttony. I'll let the Amish make their own choices.

So kindhearted they shun family members who convert to any other religion. That's the sort of kindheartedness I can do without, thanks.

Luckily, they are not looking for converts, so their feelings won't be hurt by your rejection. In fact, 25% of all Amish born children leave their communities as adults. Sadly, this means they must leave their families...mothers, fathers, sibs, grandparents...their entire childhood, because they don't believe it is honestly possible to have one foot in their world and one foot in the world. Like many religions, there is a yoke.

The psychologically barbaric practice of shunning isn't contained to people who leave the community. (and note...most of their practices and beliefs date back to long before Freud.) Break any of the seemingly arbitrary rules of the elders and you and your entire family can earn a year or two or three of community shunning. Build a barn too big, or replace a roof with something designed differently than what always was, and you might as well be adorned with a scarlet letter. I agree, there is nothing in this dictate that is kind, yet the crazy impulse does come from the heart of their beliefs. They believe if everyone follows the rules, there will be no problem. If you break the rules, you hurt everyone, so, everyone should be protected from the pain of your rebellion. If you choose to come back to the fold, they will forgive you and let you back. No questions asked. (Shunning in "the world" is a reality too. We just don't own up to it in such a litigious way.)

Yes, they're SO kindhearted they think we're all devil-worshiping sinners who are going straight to hell.

I don't really know what "they" think. I do know that the Catholic church, or some of its "higher ups" believe I am going straight to hell because I support gay rights, unlimited access to woman's health care including birth control and (strike me dead)abortion, and I object STRENUOUSLY to preaching politics from the pulpit. Yet, because of my upbringing and my marriage vows, I will most likely always be a Catholic. And if someone else believes I will burn in hell, I actually feel sad for them because it must fill them with sadness and fear. Believe it or not, there are a great many people for whom eternity would be less than paradise without me among their immortal group. These crazy religious judgements are not contained to the Amish. We humans are a complicated and foolish lot.

So... to return to my original observations, I do stand by them, based only on my one on one experiences.

When the Amish schoolhouse was attacked by a madman en.wikipedia.org . . . the surviving wounded girls underwent years of corrective surgery. Many community hospitals, as well as the major ones mentioned here in this Wiki article, saw many of the families for months on end. Two women, at least, usually a few girls as well, were always at the bedside of the patients. On the weekends, there was a line of people, all dressed in their black and blue, lined up quietly, waiting their turn to visit. They never complained about the line, the visitor policy, or the odd appearance of everyone else there, including the scantily clad or tattoo sporting others. They did not roll their eyes, or cast sideways glances at anyone else, and did not acknowledge with resentment, hurt, or outrage, the mocking glances that were cast in their direction. They carried baskets of baked goods to thank the staff, to share with one another, and with anyone else they shared the chore of hospital visitation with. Even those of us who didn't look like them.

Other times, I've been alone in the post op waiting room, when ten or twelve members of the same family wait with a young mother whose premature infant is undergoing complicated heart surgery. They were upbeat, supportive, and THERE. Did they understand the doctor when he explained what was going on with the little Amish patient, young Jacob? Not from what I saw. The lack of education and scientific knowledge was pitiable. I also think that the amount of inbreeding has lowered the collective IQ. Yet they were not argumentative or demanding of the doctor, in any way. In fact, they were humble, grateful, and anxious to see the child and show him their love. One time, I asked a young woman (she was just a teenager, and a mother of the baby)her little girl's name, so I could include her in my prayers. After the whole family left the room to go see the child just being moved to her hospital room, the young woman came back in to ask me my daughter's name. "I'll pray too.", she said, and I believe she did. In German. (I understand that in some sects, it is considered sinful to pray in English. Go figure.)

I can only judge others by my own experiences, not by attributing the dogma of their religion to their individual character. I should add, that over the years, as a mother of many and as a dance teacher, I have observed a great many parents in action. I have NEVER seen an Amish parent yell at or hit a child in public. I have never seen them ignore a child in their care. I can't say the same for the enlightened rest of us.

That said, have I seen anything that make me wish I was Amish? Hell no! There are far too many dark sides to ignore, and I believe there is a very good reason 25% of their children defect. Unfortunately, this is such a common occurrence, they don't see a reason to reconsider their practices, and because they have such large families, their numbers continue to grow so they, as a community, do not feel the ill effects most of us would if our families scattered to the four corners of the earth (and believe it or not, some sects still insist that the planet is FLAT because the bible says, "The Four Corners of the Earth.", and spheres do not have corners.)

As I recall, of all the relationships involving Jesus, the man, most of the difficult ones were not with sinners or unbelievers, but with the Pharisees, the most religious of the religious of his time. Socrates had the same problem.

Some things never change.

Keep On Dancing*
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:50 PM
^ Very interesting post on the Amish. I'm friendly with an Amish family in Lancaster....(I say friendly because it's not like I'm up there every week.....but I do buy meat, milk and eggs from them about once or twice a month and knit with the mom and daughters, my littles like to help the youngest take care of some of the animals and visit the horses) Other then the interaction with me and other people who buy from them they don't spend much time with us "english".

The thing that impressed me about them and really the community they live in is how self sufficient they seem to be. They live on the land mostly.....if that in itself isn't enough they sell things in town like hand knit items, furniture, quilts or come down here to Maryland to run dutch farmers markets.

They are a very supportive community and will help a family out if a family member is put in the hospital and needs help paying bills. When a couple gets married the entire community will come out and build a barn/house for them in less then a week. (I've seen them get a good sized barn up in less then a day!) :O

There are things that are different about them....the schooling issue with girls being one and the "shunning" of members.While I personally may not entirely agree with it I don't' think anyone can really compare them to the rest of American culture because they are so different culturally.

I personally almost would consider them to be a separate nationality...and ergo you can't expect them to adhere to the same standards the rest of America follows. I'll leave the debate their lifestyle up to each individual reading this thread.....this is just my observations from my interactions with them as well.

On a side note.....I rarely buy meat, milk or eggs anywhere else now.....because the quality is just superb coming straight from their farm.
re: God hates .... (karma: 3)
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Sun Nov 11, 2012 04:22 AM
Fortunately for them, God hates no one. I no longer attend church. My friend once asked, "So, you are no longer a practicing Catholic?"

I said, "No, I practiced it for so long, I have it down pat."

Not a fan of organized religion, just for that reason. Live you life, and leave me alone.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 AM
and ergo you can't expect them to adhere to the same standards the rest of America follows.

I don't expect them to follow standards of America, but when they don't allow their children an education (especially women because women are cookers, cleaners, and baby makers), I have a problem with putting their way as a way we can model our own society.

I also know how hard it is for some of them to get away from certain colonies. Some areas have groups of men that go and kidnap the women to bring them back if they leave. So not cool.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Mon Nov 12, 2012 02:00 AM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2012-11-12 02:18:57
imadanseur wrote:

I also know how hard it is for some of them to get away from certain colonies. Some areas have groups of men that go and kidnap the women to bring them back if they leave. So not cool.

And then we all say about an Amish woman, "Oh, she's so horrible. She denies her daughters an education. She shuns her family members if they convert. She believes we're all going to burn in hell." When really, she'd tried leaving before but was kidnapped and bought back. Or it wasn't worth losing her children over, so she decided not to leave at all.
On Mon Nov 12, 2012 09:47 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2012-11-12 09:50:55 fix
I don't expect them to follow standards of America, but when they don't allow their children an education (especially women because women are cookers, cleaners, and baby makers), I have a problem with putting their way as a way we can model our own society.

I don't think anyone suggested this religious choice "as a way we can model our own society". I certainly didn't. To clarify further, I do believe they should be required to follow the basic requirements of a sound education for their children in order to function independently in the world, and ironically independence is something they strive for. Basic genetics and hygiene should be required in the study of science. The eye witness testimony of medical people I know, as well as farm inspectors and water management supervisors would sicken everyone. I don't want to bash the Amish in particular, because I've been exposed to religious groups who are far easier to find fault with, but when any group chooses ignorance, as in the case of intermarriage, and society as a whole has to bear the predictable result of these choices, I do believe there should be some intervention.

No child should be shortchanged at birth because of predictable birth defects that could have been avoided. The number of people sickened from drinking raw milk, and from having their wells contaminated because they place the dung heap in a dangerous area, to say nothing of the out house.... these are issues that go beyond religion.

I've never been personally exposed to anyone who spoke of kidnappings or anything like that, but I'm sure the reports here are accurate, as I know this happens among certain Mormon sects as well as, for instance, the Moonies. Orthodox Jews have no problem shunning anyone who leaves the flock, even if they are still practicing Jews. The horror stories of women as second class Muslims just sicken me... and don't get me started on the recent war just launched by the Vatican and the US Catholic Bishops against the Catholic nuns who feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, clothe the naked, and pray for the sinners. Because they do not focus their energy on politics, they are being put under the thumb of a political bishop to get them back in line. (You GO SISTERS!) The nuns are kinder, smarter, and more in touch with the human condition than the little princes of the church will ever be.

People are just nuts. All people, I'm afraid.

Me too...but in a different way.

Keep On Dancing*
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Mon Nov 12, 2012 05:14 PM
Amish are very much like tribes you find, around the world. They keep within themselves, and have the same issues.
On Sat Nov 17, 2012 03:04 PM
Yes,I was wondering about the marriage within a small group.
By popergerm Comments: 760, member since Tue Apr 26, 2005
On Sat Jan 05, 2013 05:33 AM
Let me remind you the order that was censured thumbed their nose at the bishops, and were teaching things not in line with the rest of the catholic church, there are some issues that are not negotable, they are not laws that we have to power to change, like women priests, would not Jesus have made his mother a priest if it were the will of God, she was more worthy any any human ever could be before or since as his mom, his first follower, and the one we profess to be by special grace born without the stain of origional sin, the Father did not give athority to do this, men can be priests, but ladies can bring life into the world, two of the greatest gifts given by the Father equal gifts but in differant ways, the other is abortion, killing of the innocents that cant even speak for themselves, or the very old that are unable to speak, we are to defend the greatest gift God gave us... life, from conception till natural death, helping and defending minus extraordnary means like if a procedure is not likely to help heal then, it dont have to be done, but taking away life support or food and water is starvation is is not beond ordnary means, and is most cruel murder like they did to terry schivo, she could still feel pain and was breathing on her own, they had no right to starve her to death by dehydration and even when her parents said they would care for her, they should have let them, but the judge let the husband decide to pull out the food and water to dehydrate her to death for 14 days, and then had her creamated in just a day, they can not do that not at all, since my grandfather was to be creamated in florida the same state mind you a year before and they made us wait three days to change our mind by law due to its irreversable nature once its done.
By Giselle55member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 655, member since Thu Apr 08, 2004
On Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:36 PM
Edited by Giselle55 (89770) on 2013-01-04 23:39:26 additional remarks
I buy butter and eggs from them. Delicious butter, especially on popcorn. I run into them frequently at the chiropractor's office. But they also have non-AMA "doctors" who prescribe herbal remedies for certain illnesses.
Also, God wants us to love EVERYONE just like He does. I would still love a thief even though I don't like what he does. "Love the sinner, hate the sin."
By RedheadGredmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3922, member since Sat Sep 28, 2002
On Fri Feb 08, 2013 05:57 AM
I see people with signs quite often around where I work. I work in a coffee shop that is right in the heart of the downtown area in my city and that is where the people with signs like to hang out. I am always disgusted by the signs that I see. The majority say 'repent' or list all the reasons why people are going to hell. The list will include playing sports, listening to rock music, playing video games... What I find even more disgusting is when these people make their children hold these signs as well. If they want to to hold up hateful signs, than that is their business, but I hate seeing their children dragged into it.

I also get quite a few people coming into the coffee shop who try to convert me and when I tell them I am not interested they go on and on and then stand in the middle of the coffee shop with their arms raised in the air while loudly praying that I change my heathen ways or something like that. I think they are part of the same group as the sign holders, but I am not positive. When I see them downtown I just try to avoid them. I am not going to change their minds and they are not going to change mine. I just ignore them unless they get right up in my face when I am working.
On Fri Feb 08, 2013 02:42 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-02-08 14:48:07 typo
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-02-08 15:00:47 s
popergerm wrote:

God gave us... life, from conception till natural death, helping and defending minus extraordnary means like if a procedure is not likely to help heal then, it dont have to be done, but taking away life support or food and water is starvation is is not beond ordnary means, and is most cruel murder like they did to terry schivo, she could still feel pain and was breathing on her own, they had no right to starve her to death by dehydration and even when her parents said they would care for her, they should have let them, but the judge let the husband decide to pull out the food and water to dehydrate her to death for 14 days

I disagree.

To begin with, your report of Mrs. Schivo's condition and brain function is false. By the time she was allowed to leave this earth, and go to heaven as believers would hope, her brain was the size of a walnut. There is significant evidence to suggest that once the zealots with agendas of their own were finally overruled by reasonable court rulings, Terri died a peaceful death. Additionally, Florida politics was responsible for the horrible set of laws, many later overturned as unconstitutional, that prolonged this poor woman's life and vilified her poor husband. There have been several books written on the subject. Obviously the book her parents wrote echos the above poster, and in fairness to them, I would also suggest that her husband's account may also be subjective although I personally believe he was not a villain, but rather her only hero in this horrible mess. (A lesser man would have walked away rather than continue to honor her right to dignity and heaven.) However, most medical scientists and ethicist are in agreement....this was a tragic situation in which knowledge and compassion were put aside in the interest of other political agendas.

www.ask.com . . .

^This is just a thumbnail summary of the horrific events surrounding this case. The continued zealotry on the part of ignorant people, who continue to insist that she suffered, was murdered, had any hope of recovery, or any minimal awareness of her existence has been disproved over and over and over and over again, yet people without a clue continue to write stupid statements like the one I quoted above.

I have studied the particulars of this case for many, MANY hours, and if anyone would like me to expound further, I will. For now, it is pointless to torture any readers here on DDN on this subject. For our purposes here, I would like to move on to a more fundamental issue.

It is just ASTOUNDING to me, the way outsiders seize on cases like this and think that they have the knowledge or the right to express a public opinion when there is NO WAY they could possibly know the intimate understanding between a man and his wife. Furthermore, when they claim to be speaking for GOD, the hypocrisy is stunning.

God did not ventilate this woman. God did not cut into her flesh to insert a tube to deliver a sludge of compounds to nourish her cells and keep her "living" long after her brain had ceased to function. If these people truly believe in heaven, truly believe that our purpose on earth is to prepare us to fully participate in the joys of our heavenly "reward", by what right do they keep anyone from passing on into that paradise? What possible joy did Mrs. Schiavo take in the last seven years of her time here on earth? Would the hateful actions her parents took against the man she loved and hoped to share children with have made her proud? At peace? Feel loved?

There is no dignity in anything that was done to this woman's body. Sadly, what do we know about her? By the time she was allowed to go in peace, her friends had moved on. Music, dance, poetry, gardening....which of these did she love? She was denied the essence of herself and reduced to only the essence of her long prolonged death.

Is there anyone among us who would wish for this? I posted a poll here on DDN a while back www.dance.net . . . Although at first glance it looks like only 50% of those responding said, NO WAY... if you read the replies you will see that every poster, without exception, qualified their answer with, "unless there was no hope of recovery."

I can not speak for God. However, if I were God it would piss me off when humans presumed to speak for me. Luckily, I am not God. If we are truly created in his or her image, he or she must weep every day.

Keep On Dancing*
On Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:01 PM
Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/62529_10151294407196275_583251145_n.jpg'

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch