Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 2 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Dec 30, 2012 04:26 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-12-30 18:04:08
Okay, I'm back. I will do this. I'm starting today, I'm not waiting until New Years. I went grocery shopping and bought a ton of fresh fruit and vegetables, I bought fish and I'm making some beans and rice. I've got this. Now to go for a walk/run, then come home, fix some coffee and climb into the tub for a soak. Let's do it.

ETA: Done. 2.2 miles in 38 minutes. Those minutes will get less and less and pretty soon I'll be the one lapping others (I totally got lapped while walking). Coffee poured, bath water running, epsom salts and a nice Lush bath bomb, check. <3
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 07:42 PM
Did my 2.2 last night. Yesterday I attempted to be healthy... and then B requested BBQ.
Spoiler: Show
Breakfast: 1/2C cottage cheese with frozen fruit, coffee with creamer and whipped cream

Lunch: large salad of spinach and red leaf lettuce, carrots, cucumber, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, croutons and two hard boiled eggs with 2tbsp of Parmesan ranch.

Snack: 1 packet peanut M&M's (I'm pmsing and chocolate was sort of a necessity or I may have killed people, just sayin')

Dinner: BBQ. *sigh* I was doing sort of well until here. Brisket. Omnomnom. Mashed potatoes made with cream and butter and cheese. Omnomnomnom. Macaroni and cheese. NOMNOMNOM. Potato salad. OMNOMNOM. BBQ sauce. OMNOMNOMNOM. Texas toast. NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM. Food coma.

Today, it's not going much better/worse.
Breakfast: Coffee with creamer and whipped cream, cottage cheese with frozen fruit.

Lunch: Brisket, bbq sauce, potato salad, mac and cheese, pickles, toast.

Snack: Naked blue machine and 2 raw energy balls

Dinner: salmon and green beans

And depending on how full I am from lunch and snack, I many or may not eat dinner. It may be lunch tomorrow. <3
By Tiggerpants Comments: 933, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 PM
I love this thread, it was just the encouragement I needed to push myself back onto my healthy eating plan as of tomorrow! I've always been on the chubbier side but over the past two years I reallll y piled on the weight so over maybe 3 or 4 months I lost 25lbs just by cutting out all the crap I was eating and making healthier choices for myself. Of course Christmas sort of sank me a bit because I wanted to treat myself but my self control is minimal :-/

I use the MyFitnessPal App on my iPhone to keep track of what I'm eating because otherwise I really don't think about what I'm putting in my mouth lol. I've also picked up the Hairy Bikers diet book which has been AMAZING. It's not that I eat out of that book every night but it's sort of...reprogrammed my way way of thinking about food. Definite huge recommend on that book.

Here's to a healthy new year x
On Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:09 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-01-02 10:37:09
I'll check it out!

I logged back onto Sparkpeople last night and entered my foods for the day. Ugh, discipline is my hardest thing. I like the idea of dieting and losing weight, but the actual restrictions blow and I find myself wanting stuff. It also doesn't help that I've been working 11 hour shifts at the store and all I want to do is snack. So today since I'm not walking, I parred way back on my calories (still within the recommended range) and tried to pick foods that will stick with me so I don't get the bored munchies. Though I will say, I picked an awful creamer at the grocery store that I tried this morning and it was so awful I'm considering a Starbucks run and getting my usual 4 shot over ice. However the Coffee-mate cinnamon sugar cookie creamer? Oh my goodness, that's like the best creamer ever. Delicious. I'll be stocking up on that since it's seasonal.

Breakfast: 1/2C cottage cheese, frozen cherries, 1Tbsp chia seeds

Snack: 1/2 Naked Vitamin C Machine, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 energy ball

Lunch: 2C pinto beans and long grain brown rice, with 1/4C shredded cheddar cheese, 2 tbsp sour cream

Snack: 1/2 Naked Vitamin C Machine, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 energy ball

I'm skipping dinner today since I got such a late start. Breakfast was at 10am, my snack will be around 1pm, lunch will be around 4pm, snack will be around 8pm. Then I get off work at 9pm and I'll go home. Too late to eat something then. I am planning on maybe having some herbal tea and an epsom salt bath soak as I'm way more sore than I expected. I broke out the icy hot last night.

ETA: Okay, I'm closing up while it's quiet and making a Starbucks run. So assume 4 shots over ice, 4 pumps cinnamon dolce, part half and half, part skim milk added to the Breakfast list.

Also, I noticed that the cottage cheese and fruit alone wasn't keeping me full, hence adding the chia seeds. I know they're super good for you and help keep you full so we'll see how they work. I make my cottage cheese the night before, so I mixed the tbsp of seeds in and then topped with the frozen cherries, by the time it's morning the cherries have thawed out.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Thu Jan 03, 2013 03:47 AM
Can I wedge myself into your thread? I need to lose weight and the final straw was having to buy a bigger pair of jeans recently. I used to have jeans in my closet I could SQUEEZE into or lay on my bed and zip up if I had to, but now that is not even an option for many pair.

I think I am at my highest weight and definitely hate how I look in pictures. I thought about doing the Paleo diet, but when researching I realized my biggest problem is the amount of sugar I am consuming. Even on days I'm not eating sweets the protein bars and shakes that I consume on top of food I eat puts me 3 times over the recommended amount of sugar we should have. With doing that I'm cutting out the processed junk, certain sauces, blah blah blah. I will do my first major workout tomorrow. I've been lifting and doing cardio but not seriously enough to promote weight loss. Looking forward to stepping it up tomorrow. wheee.

Let's hold hands and skip on our journey together.
On Thu Jan 03, 2013 04:36 AM
Wedge away! *grabs hand and starts skipping*

So if anyone wants to do this with me, I'm going to start a Candida cleanse on Monday, January 14th. It lasts 15 days and it always makes me feel amazing when I'm done. Basically, you take an herbal supplement and drops before breakfast and dinner and cut a bunch of nonsense from your diet for 15 days. You eat, and you eat plenty, it's just that by cutting out the sugars and whatnot, the yeast in your intestinal track dies off and then after the cleanse your body is able to repopulate the flora in your system back to the proper amounts.

So if you're in or might want to be in, I'm starting that Monday. Here's the details (which I'm glad I found because I wasn't so strict last time I did this and didn't have near the results).
The food restrictions aren't so bad and it's only for two and half weeks. I find it makes a good transition to healthy eating, because it helps get past the cravings and eliminates the junk from your diet, and makes you more aware of what is in processed foods. And if you clean all the stuff you can't have out of your pantry and refrigerator, then I know I'm way less likely to buy it again. Then when the cleanse is done, as you go shopping, you can get back in your yogurts and cottage cheese and stuff like that. I've found I really like quinoa noodles and buy them over the wheat ones. I also have pretty much transitioned over to stevia for my sweetener when I have to add sugar to anything, I use that instead - it bakes pretty okay too.

I notice I crash a few days in, meaning I feel inexplicably exhausted, and that's the yeast in your system dying off. However it really only lasts a day and then you're good. My friend noticed it 3 days in, I notice it more like 5. So just be aware of that.

No sugars, no yeast, no wheat, no dairy, no curds, nothing fermented, nothing pickled, nothing dehydrated.

So no sugars, that means no: refined white sugar, sugar in the raw, powdered sugar, brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup, honey, agave syrup, fructose, sucrose, Nutrasweet, Splenda, or saccharin. Also included is xanthan gum. However stevia is okay.

No yeast - no yeast, no yeast extract. You'd be absolutely surprised and shocked by what contains yeast. No wheat. Once again wheat is in everything. I feel for people with wheat allergies. Same with dairy. There's milk or butter or some form of dairy in almost everything.

No curds is basically an easy way of saying no cheese, no tofu, no yogurt, nothing that has been left to curd. Along the same line of reasoning, nothing fermented, so no soy sauce, no alcohol, nothing that contains anything fermented... no Worcestershire sauce... you get the idea. Though I think balsamic vinegar is allowed, foods pickled in vinegar are not. Dehydrated is the same principal.

Here's a sample menu (includes 2 liters of water):

Breakfast: Whole rolled oats cooked with fresh cranberries, a sprinkle of stevia, and a dash of cinnamon.

Snack: Mixed fresh berries (raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries) and a hard boiled egg.

Lunch: Homemade stew (beef, onion, garlic, red potato, and carrots) and a salad with cucumbers and red bell peppers with a homemade lemon vinaigrette.

Snack: Strawberries, banana, hard boiled egg.

Dinner: Salmon baked with lemon juice, minced garlic, cracked black pepper and sea salt and steamed broccoli and a salad.

So if you want to try it with me, I'm all for it. I'd love the support. And you all can feel free to add your own journey in here. I write down my menu for the day because it makes me feel more accountable. You guys are more than welcome to join me in that!
On Thu Jan 03, 2013 05:00 PM
Just completed 20 minute workout with Jillian Michaels. My husband did it with me which was pretty cool of him to support my fitness goals. He wants to lose 25 pounds too, but he drops weight fast and doing DVD's isn't really his style, so it was sweet that he said, "I'll do it with you." *insert sickening awwwwwhhhh here* or *gagging here* whichever emotion it creates in you.

I had 2 pieces of low cal wheat bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a touch of honey with tea before I taught bootcamp and now I'm having 2 poached eggs, roasted tomatoes, a little mixed greens and balsamic for brunch. nom nom nom.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Thu Jan 03, 2013 05:32 PM
I'm determined to do the Whole Living Challenge that I tried & failed at last year. I was planning on starting mine on the 14th, too! I wanted to enjoy my birthday & then get down to business.

The membership at the dance studio also went through, so now I'll have 30 classes/month at my disposal. No reason to slack off now. ;)
On Thu Jan 03, 2013 06:15 PM
Yay! We can do this!! I feel really good today. I'm ready to eat my lunch (as soon as it cools off). I think I'm going to be eating a lot more eggs and fish, because B really likes fish and hard boiled eggs are just so darn easy! Plus I had my breakfast at 8am-ish and I'm just now hungry at noon - that's after teaching an hour ballet private lesson, going to go purchase new technique and pointe shoes (eee I adore new pointe shoes), getting my cleanse supplies, getting dog food, and stopping at the grocery store for odds and ends. Happy happy!
Breakfast: 1 Naked Red Machine juice, 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 energy balls (extra nutty)

Lunch: 2C pinto beans & brown rice, 1/4C cheese, 1tbsp sour cream

Dinner: Salmon, steamed broccoli, and a salad.
On Fri Jan 04, 2013 07:38 PM
Great breakfast today (similar to the above), once I find something I like, I sort of obsessively eat it. I snacked on celery and a little vegetable cream cheese spread. So far the no more than 24 grams of sugar thing is going quite well. My business partner has been no sugar ANYTHING or any sugar substitute for 3 years. Yes you read that correctly THREE YEARS!! Not even a cheat. What the hell is up with that?

We did yoga today at the gym. It was a good class, but its not the same as taking it at a yoga studio where it's all spiritual, and the hippie energy is whipping around the room. But hey, it's included with our membership and it is one of the 12 classes in my New Year's resolution for the next 90 days.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Fri Jan 04, 2013 07:43 PM
I LOVE eggs! I really need to eat them more regularly. My mom kindly got some breakfast foods for me, so I can avoid stopping at Chick-fil-a or Dunkin Donuts on the way to work. I've got oatmeal, Vitatops (had one of those this morning), & the fixins for egg & cheese sandwiches. Now I just need to get my butt out of bed in enough time to make & package said sandwiches to take to work.
On Sun Jan 06, 2013 07:01 AM
^ One of B's clients has chickens so he gets two dozen fresh from the chicken's butt eggs every two weeks. So I definitely need to eat more of them because it's a shame to let super fresh eggs get old.

Saturday was a lie, I ended up not eating the salmon and salad and stuff and instead made Snickerdoodles and drank hot cocoa and generally had an amazing lazy cold rainy day. I stayed in calorie range though. :/ Today I had:
Pacha latte (OMNOMNOMNOMNOM BEST LATTE EVER!!!!), 1 hard boiled egg, 1 extra nutty energy ball

Lunch: I'm working my way through the beans and rice still, prepared the same way

Snack: 1 hard boiled egg, 1 extra nutty energy ball

Dinner: 4oz salmon - I was supposed to have a salad too, but it froze in the mini fridge and frozen salad is disgusting.

B brought home a little square of salted caramel I'm stealing for my coffee tomorrow. He also got me a yoga video and on my days off from running, I'm going to do some yoga for good deep stretching. Tomorrow should be a lazy day too, just cleaning to do so I predict coffee for breakfast, beans and rice for lunch, and trout and some vegetable for dinner. So, same song, different key. I'm also going to make some spaghetti for the coming week. Yay!
On Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-01-07 00:14:55
Breakfast: coffee, creamer, whipped cream, two snickerdoodle cookies and one inch square of salted caramel.

Lunch: Well I was busy cleaning..

Snack: Whoops...

Dinner: 1/2C prepared quinoa with new potatoes, broccoli, carrots, and whatever else came in the frozen open and boil in water bag with 3oz of red snapper and 1.5 C of milk

I did yoga and I feel all ahhhhhhlkehnfdm,fn,.d *sleep* Tomorrow more beans and rice for lunch and eep! Do I have energy balls? If not I need to make more asap. Gonna be a long day tomorrow.
On Mon Jan 07, 2013 05:27 PM
Here's the menu plan for today!
Breakfast: 3/4C cooked quinoa with 1/2C skim milk, 1/4C cherries, 1Tbsp raw honey and (separately) 1 hard boiled egg

Snack: Banana

Lunch: Beans and Rice (only one more day left, I'll make spaghetti on Wednesday :D) with cheese and sour cream

On the way to class Snack: 1 hard boiled egg, energy ball (extra nutty), 1/2 Naked Power-C Machine

After teaching Snack: 1 hard boiled egg, energy ball (extra nutty), 1/2 Naked Power-C Machine

I figure I'll get the bulk of my calories in early in the day and then snack to keep my blood sugar levels stable and skip a formal dinner. I don't get off til 7:45, by the time I get home and dressed to run and then run and then stretch and shower, it'll be too late for a reasonable dinner.

I need to figure out something high in protein that I can add to my diet that's relatively easy to fit in. I'm doing good on staying within my caloric recommendations, I'm on target for carbs and fat. But protein is the one I have trouble getting enough of. Any suggestions? I tend to be a little sugar/carb heavy because of the hypoglycemia - I've tried to cut out the bulk of my carbs and I bottom hard and fast on a mostly protein diet. I've learned from experience that that does not work for me. Only downside - fruits and carbs tend to be high in calories. Any suggestions?
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six (karma: 1)
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Mon Jan 07, 2013 06:06 PM
Cottage cheese! It's one of my favorites. Try it on a baked potato with some salsa, the taste is similar to a loaded baked potato, but without all the amazing amounts of fat. I also eat it with fruit, or with salt and pepper, or just mixed with salsa.

Also beans. Try making a bean salad (super easy) and having that as a side with your meals, or as part of a snack.
On Mon Jan 07, 2013 06:54 PM
I do have cottage cheese and greek yogurt I should be eating more of, thanks for the reminder! Bean salad? Got a recipe? :D
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six (karma: 2)
By celestia836 Comments: 2006, member since Tue Dec 02, 2003
On Mon Jan 07, 2013 08:06 PM
I also have problems getting enough protein, especially while staying in my calorie range from Sparkpeople. However, I just made a dinner that was so awesome I thought I'd come here and tell you (and the other DDNers reading this thread) all about it! Chickpeas aren't exactly as protein-packed as chicken or eggs, but they're a good source of protein and have very little fat.

The recipe was inspired by this Nacho Roasted Chickpea recipe, but I didn't follow the recipe at all.

1 small can (215g) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2/3 medium-sized red bell pepper, chopped into bite-size pieces
1/3 c. (ish?) cherry tomatoes, halved
Spices to taste (I used cumin, black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried coriander/cilantro, garlic powder, and a pinch of sea salt)

Combine these ingredients in a small baking dish, mix well, and roast at 325 for 20ish minutes. The longer you roast, the crunchier the chickpeas will get. If you want them to be really crunchy, you could roast them in a separate tray (I like mine to be less crunchy for this sort of thing, though). Stir halfway through roasting time.

Once roasted, add a bit of shredded cheddar cheese, a squeeze of lime, some chopped green/spring onions, a few chopped pickled jalapeno slices, couple tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt (I used low-fat), and Tabasco to taste. (It ended up being pretty spicy, which I loved, but be careful if you don't like heat!) I also added a bit more cumin, but that was just because I thought I hadn't added enough before I roasted them. Once you've added all your toppings, stir and nom!

Good going with your nutrition and fitness! It's so inspiring to read accounts of others who are trying to get healthier, too. :)
On Mon Jan 07, 2013 08:29 PM
Looks like my cleanse will have to be put off by a week. Birthday festivities are creeping into the week after my birthday. Plus, I won't really have time to do a lot of cooking. My mom is pretty much always in the kitchen in the evenings & she wouldn't take too kindly to me taking over on a weeknight. I have the 21st off for MLK, so I'll go grocery shopping the night before. Then I can spend the 21st cooking & have (ideally) almost everything prepped for the week that can be prepped.
On Tue Jan 08, 2013 07:19 PM
So I sort of woke up late and wasn't able to prepare food as I should, so I'm treating myself to a sub and chips today. Except for going over and beyond my sodium intake, it actually doesn't go outside my recommended limits.

Breakfast: 3/4C quinoa, 1/2C milk, 1/4C blueberries, 1tbsp raw honey, sprinkle of cinnamon; 4 shots over ice, 4 pumps syrup, and half and half

Lunch: Jimmy John's Beach club (no mayo) with jalapeno chips

Snack: 1/2C cottage cheese

Dinner: Beans and rice et al

Snack: 2 hard boiled eggs

Although I may skip the second snack, depending on how late it gets. I'm doing well dietwise, I'm feeling really good. I'm going to start the cleanse early, I'm sort of getting antsy to just finish it. Plus, I'll be done before the first competition of the season so if everyone goes out to eat, I can join them without feeling guilty. So this Thursday, it's on!
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Tue Jan 08, 2013 07:53 PM
^ Just wanted to say that Beach Club no mayo is possibly the best sandwich ever! I hate to say it but if you have calories to spare, add bacon to it and you will be in heaven.
By yvonne131321member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 47, member since Thu Jan 03, 2013
On Wed Jan 09, 2013 01:09 AM
Is it too late to join you on this journey I have to lose 20lbs before may 2013. I have to lose it because losing it would mean I may be able to avoid my 5th open heart surgery. I want to do it healthy I recently signed up for a once a week ballet tech class and I know it may be challenging to do with this being my second semester in nursing school. But hopefully with support of my family and friends and this group If i can join in it will happen. I struggle with food but i'm hoping to get through this with healthy diet changes and finding good ways to bring food to clinical with me.

by the way what are spoilers or Sparkpeople
On Wed Jan 09, 2013 03:11 AM
The more the merrier!

by the way what are spoilers or Sparkpeople

I use spoilers to hide my food tracking. Since I list out my days worth of food, it would make this thread overly long and difficult to scroll though. You can use them if you want, or not. To create a spoiler, enter this without the spaces after the word spoiler and the end bracket:

[spoiler ]Whatever you want hidden away[/spoiler ]

Sparkpeople is an online community that offers meals plans or the ability to track your calories and carb/fat/protein intake. You enter your weight and height and all that good stuff, pick how much you want to lose and when, and it figures out how many calories per day you need. If you add exercise, then it factors that in as well. You can either use their preprogrammed meal plans or create your own. I personally pick my own. It's a lot of work to set, but once you have a list of favorite foods you pull from, it goes pretty quick.
By yvonne131321member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 47, member since Thu Jan 03, 2013
On Wed Jan 09, 2013 06:42 PM
wow awesome I will have to go through spark people and set that up as for the spoiler thanks for that tip I know it would make the comment long so now I get why its in there thanks for informing me
On Wed Jan 09, 2013 09:18 PM
Okay, starting cleanse on Monday. I forgot my niece is coming over and B wants to try a new Mexican food restaurant. So Saturday is my cheat day. It will also give me a chance on Thursday to go grocery shopping in preparation.

Breakfast: Coffee, creamer, whipped cream; 3/4C quinoa, 1/2 C milk, 1/4C blueberries, 1 tbsp raw honey, cinnamon; hard boiled egg

Lunch: 4oz snapper; 2C salad with cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, hard boiled egg, croutons; hot tea

Snack: 1/2C cottage cheese and a banana

Dinner: spaghetti made with quinoa pasta, natural chicken sausage, and Rao's tomato basil marinara sauce and green bell peppers, sweet yellow onions, zucchini, and yellow squash.

I think I need to cut back on my portions. I'm getting full faster. It was great, on Sunday when I made the fish, I couldn't finish everything so instead of eating it anyway, I threw it out. Much better plan. My lunch portion was mostly vegetables, but I'm well full and I'm debating whether I want pasta tonight at all.
On Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 AM
what kind of cleanse are you going to start?
Page:
Page 2 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch