Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 3 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Thu Jan 10, 2013 02:20 AM
I have mentioned it up above. :)

Suma wrote:

So if anyone wants to do this with me, I'm going to start a Candida cleanse on Monday, January 14th. It lasts 15 days and it always makes me feel amazing when I'm done. Basically, you take an herbal supplement and drops before breakfast and dinner and cut a bunch of nonsense from your diet for 15 days. You eat, and you eat plenty, it's just that by cutting out the sugars and whatnot, the yeast in your intestinal track dies off and then after the cleanse your body is able to repopulate the flora in your system back to the proper amounts.

So if you're in or might want to be in, I'm starting that Monday. Here's the details (which I'm glad I found because I wasn't so strict last time I did this and didn't have near the results).
Spoiler: Show
The food restrictions aren't so bad and it's only for two and half weeks. I find it makes a good transition to healthy eating, because it helps get past the cravings and eliminates the junk from your diet, and makes you more aware of what is in processed foods. And if you clean all the stuff you can't have out of your pantry and refrigerator, then I know I'm way less likely to buy it again. Then when the cleanse is done, as you go shopping, you can get back in your yogurts and cottage cheese and stuff like that. I've found I really like quinoa noodles and buy them over the wheat ones. I also have pretty much transitioned over to stevia for my sweetener when I have to add sugar to anything, I use that instead - it bakes pretty okay too.

I notice I crash a few days in, meaning I feel inexplicably exhausted, and that's the yeast in your system dying off. However it really only lasts a day and then you're good. My friend noticed it 3 days in, I notice it more like 5. So just be aware of that.

No sugars, no yeast, no wheat, no dairy, no curds, nothing fermented, nothing pickled, nothing dehydrated.

So no sugars, that means no: refined white sugar, sugar in the raw, powdered sugar, brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup, honey, agave syrup, fructose, sucrose, Nutrasweet, Splenda, or saccharin. Also included is xanthan gum. However stevia is okay.

No yeast - no yeast, no yeast extract. You'd be absolutely surprised and shocked by what contains yeast. No wheat. Once again wheat is in everything. I feel for people with wheat allergies. Same with dairy. There's milk or butter or some form of dairy in almost everything.

No curds is basically an easy way of saying no cheese, no tofu, no yogurt, nothing that has been left to curd. Along the same line of reasoning, nothing fermented, so no soy sauce, no alcohol, nothing that contains anything fermented... no Worcestershire sauce... you get the idea. Though I think balsamic vinegar is allowed, foods pickled in vinegar are not. Dehydrated is the same principal.

Here's a sample menu (includes 2 liters of water):

Breakfast: Whole rolled oats cooked with fresh cranberries, a sprinkle of stevia, and a dash of cinnamon.

Snack: Mixed fresh berries (raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries) and a hard boiled egg.

Lunch: Homemade stew (beef, onion, garlic, red potato, and carrots) and a salad with cucumbers and red bell peppers with a homemade lemon vinaigrette.

Snack: Strawberries, banana, hard boiled egg.

Dinner: Salmon baked with lemon juice, minced garlic, cracked black pepper and sea salt and steamed broccoli and a salad.

Although you do do cut a lot out, I like it for two reasons. One, by eliminating those foods for two weeks, it gives the body a chance to break the habit of eating certain foods. Once completed I can decide what I want to add back in. For instance I almost strictly use stevia now in place of sugar when I make anything. I also only use the quinoa noodles because they taste good and I don't feel heavy and bloated after eating pasta. Some things I choose to add back in. Dairy for instance. I love dairy and I drink milk and eat cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt way to much to eliminate it from my diet completely. However, because I'm more aware of ingredients and nutritional health, I take the time to buy really good, wholesome dairy verses whatever I happen to grab. It gives me a clean slate to build my diet from.

And two, it's not a cleanse that starves you or makes you fast. You eat and you eat well. You're just not eating prepared and processed foods at all and I feel like it gives me a good mind set into changing my relationship with food. I've also learned to say I don't eat that instead of I can't eat that. There's plenty of people who don't eat red meat or who don't drink coffee, I am choosing to say I don't eat something. It helps me mentally to not do it. I don't eat donuts. It's just not an option at this point. I like donuts, but I can certainly never eat a donut again and not miss them. So instead of it being a forbidden food I can't have which suddenly makes me want a donut like crazy, I don't eat them. It's just not in my wheelhouse of breakfast choices. So for those two reasons I like doing it, and the herbs you take aren't going to harm anything, because I know some people really don't believe in cleanses because they don't really do what they claim, but if it works on a mental level for me and gets my brain in the right frame of mind, it's worth it.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Thu Jan 10, 2013 06:21 PM
I'm going to join in! I want to be down to 125 by my 25th birthday. I just recommitted to Sparkpeople and I'm holding myself to it. I'd like to ultimately be back down to 115, but I haven't weighed that since high school and I'm not sure my body can get there in a healthy manner since I am more womanly now. :P

So I'm here with you girl! As far as tips, I keep Trader Joe's dark chocolate with almonds in my desk to eat after lunch. It helps keep the sweet cravings away, and is definitely healthier than junk candy as well. I also realize I eat better when I don't have to think about my meals as much, so I'm trying to always keep big batches of things. This week is turkey chili. I have the makings of a 15 bean soup as well. Yummy, hearty food that is still healthy and only takes me 30 minutes to prep, 8 hours in the crock pot, and then 2 minutes in the microwave? yes please!

Citrus fruits are in season too, so stock up on those delicious grapefruits nom nom nom
On Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-01-10 12:16:21
Yay! The more people joining the more motivated I am. I just got finished grocery shopping for the week. Made it out for under $120 (for me and B) and here's what I got:

<1 lb steelhead trout
>1 lb sockeye salmon
package of chicken breasts
almond milk (2x unsweetened regular; 2x chocolate for B)
3 can chickpeas
1 can black beans
Quinoa noodles
Rao's Tomato Basil marinara sauce
coriander
red lead lettuce
bag of spinach
1.5 lb green beans
2 broccoli heads
1 lb asparagus
green onions
red bell peppers
green bell peppers
zucchini
yellow squash
yellow onions
red onion
cherry tomatoes
avocados
jalapenos
orange
apples
bananas
bread for B

It was so great to see so much fresh food in my basket again. I have the makings for the nacho seasoned chickpeas (I'll make Sunday), and I'm going to make a small batch of guacamole to go with it. I'm fixing spaghetti tonight. Plenty of salad fixings. I've got tons of eggs and good grains already (brown rice, red rice, quinoa). I'm planning on making chia seed pudding. It's chia seeds soaked in almond milk with a sweetener of your choice and orange zest. Chia seeds absorb liquid and take on a tapioca quality, so I'm going to give it a try. I feel good and saw a number on the scale today I hadn't seen in a while. :D

ETA, almost forgot my menu for the day:
Breakfast: quinoa with milk and honey and blueberries and cinnamon; coffee with creamer and whipped cream

Lunch: Rainbow roll sushi - salmon and tuna

Snack: 1/2 Naked Blue Machine juice, 1 hard boiled egg

Dinner: spaghetti with a green salad
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six (karma: 1)
By celestia836 Comments: 2006, member since Tue Dec 02, 2003
On Thu Jan 10, 2013 08:33 PM
Woohoo! Isn't it great to have so many fresh things in your cart? I was so pleased with myself walking around the store the other day--my basket was just bursting with fresh foods. :)

I had the nacho chickpeas again tonight, partly because they're great and partly because I needed to use up more of my red pepper. The squeeze of lime really makes them, I think, but then again I'm slightly obsessed with lime! Though now that I've started thinking about lime, I'm hankering for a margarita...
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:12 PM
Sumayah, how is that quinoa pasta? I've been wanting to try it, but I have texture issues with food, especially if I know how something is "supposed" to feel/taste, so I've been sort of scared to. What's the flavor/texture difference?
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:10 PM
I have the makings of a 15 bean soup as well.

That sound soooo delicious! I used to make bean and ham soup for my dad. I tried making it about 2 months ago and I just broke down crying and decided maybe that recipe will die with him (especially since my mom and hubby don't like that soup.)

I am really proud of myself. In one week I haven't bought one thing from a restaurant or convenience store for a snack. I have planned everything, taken it with me, or just eaten enough to get me through the day. I'm doing a heavy workout 3 times a week and 2 light workouts with yoga or just walking and 2 days of rest.

I feel great, but am impatient to see results, I want chocolate and cupcakes, and realize it has only been 8 days. (It feels like a month.) The limited sugar and wheat has been easier than I thought though.
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 02:19 AM
Nienna, I really, really like quinoa pasta. Flavorwise I don't notice a difference. The texture is good, it holds up to freezing, storing with sauce and reheating just like regular pasta. My only gripe is that it's *super* sticky and tends to clump if you don't cook it in oil and stir it practically all the time. But considering I don't feel gross and get 6 servings from one box (4 servings is too much food for me), it's worth making a batch and refrigerating it for at work lunches.

Renae, go girl! Just remember, it takes 10 days to form a habit and 15 days to break it. I'll be right with you come Monday. I do feel so, so much better already!
By yvonne131321member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 47, member since Thu Jan 03, 2013
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 04:33 AM
I have never tried the quinoa before , does it have a rice texture?
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 05:14 AM
Quinoa by itself I love. It's these little round grains and when you cook them, this string-like halo comes off and they get fat with water. So in a sense they cook similarly to rice in that they absorb their liquid, but they don't have the texture of rice, not exactly. I love the flavor though and it makes a good side grain like rice does. (I like that it cooks way faster.) It's worth picking up a small bag and trying it out. :)
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six (karma: 2)
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 03:04 PM
^You have me sold. I'll be going to Whole Foods tomorrow. I also want to pick up a jar of coconut oil, since I just read this whole thing about how amazing it is for every thing ever.

Here's a pretty standard daily menu for me:
Breakfast: One packet of Trader Joe's complete instant oatmeal and one packet of Trader Joe's organic instant oatmeal. Cup of tea.

Snack: small handful of Trader Joe's Omega trek mix (the most delicious trek mix ever but I'm the only one who seems to think so)

Lunch: crockpot leftovers. This week, homemade turkey chili. yum. Small square of trader joe's dark chocolate.

Snack 2: one cucumber, sliced, with just a little salt.

Snack 3: one cup of trader joe's nonfat organic vanilla yogurt, half a grapefruit.

dinner: crockpot leftovers, or my stand-by favorite, breakfast for dinner. usually an eggwhite omelette with turkey bacon. yum.

Hmm, I really need to get more dark leafy greens. But we hates dark leafy greens, we hates them, narsty elf food.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 03:19 PM
I need to change my eating habits something fierce but I have some serious food aversions.

I don't do beans chicken quionoa or fish or lentils.

I just can't do it without gagging.

Any good ideas for foods that I might eat?
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:28 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-01-11 10:44:54 Just saw what the seller on Amazon is trying to sell those noodles for and that's ridiculous.
Nienna, you have no idea how JEALOUS I am that you have access to Trader Joe's. That place is amazing and there are none to be found anywhere in or around Austin. Yes, we have the original Whole Foods, and we have the competing Central Market but they aren't either of them budget conscious like Trader Joe's is.

You should make the Energy Balls. They're superb.
HighlandHottie05 wrote:

The energy balls ARE amazing (maybe that's a factor in my addiction hehe) the recipe is majorly easy:

15 dried figs (no sugar added)
.5 cup of raw unsalted/not roasted cashews

pulse the above on high in a blender

add in 2 tbsp of coconut oil and mush it around with your hands so it melts, then roll up the mixture into balls and roll through a plate of chia and flax seeds.. sprinkle with cinnamon! .. they're awesome

I can attest to how awesome they are. And they do exactly as they say, they give you heaps of natural energy and they're super good for you. I get ten tablespoon size balls out of that recipe. And here's the nutritional breakdown:
Servings Per Recipe: 10
Serving Size: 1 serving (1 ball)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 141.8
Total Fat 6.6 g
Saturated Fat 3.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 3.7 mg
Potassium 246.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
Sugars 14.1 g
Protein 2.5 g
Vitamin A 0.1 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 1.5 %
Vitamin C 0.6 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 0.0 %
Calcium 5.6 %
Copper 4.1 %
Folate 0.6 %
Iron 6.1 %
Magnesium 8.3 %
Manganese 8.8 %
Niacin 0.9 %
Pantothenic Acid 1.2 %
Phosphorus 3.4 %
Riboflavin 1.4 %
Selenium 0.2 %
Thiamin 1.6 %
Zinc 1.3 %

I usually will have two a day, I'll have them in between going from to teaching and my blood sugar doesn't bottom out halfway through the night. So those things are miracles for me. Plus they're filling - water makes the chia seeds bloat and they're really, really good for the body.

I'm making chia pudding this weekend too. It should help with my sweet cravings. I made the spaghetti last night and I'm having some for lunch, I'll take a pic since it will have been cooked, refrigerated, and reheated, so you can see how they hold up. I tried brown rice noodles but heads up, unless you like eating mush, they don't store once cooked. Worst mistake I ever made was making the rice spaghetti noodles thinking they would hold like actual noodles. The quinoa noodles I get are these: www.amazon.com . . . (In the store, that's a stupid price Amazon has.) They're under $3 a box, which is pricey, but I haven't found a brand that maintains structure the same so it's worth it to me.

Breakfast: Protein box and espresso from starbucks

Lunch: Spaghetti

Snack: Naked Red Machine and 2 hard boiled egg

Dinner: I'm supposed to meet B and niece for dinner so I have no idea but I've 500 calories set aside - it will need to be something vegetable and protein heavy though.
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 06:20 PM
I don't do beans chicken quionoa or fish or lentils.

Pork, turkey, tempeh, almonds, almond butter, then of course you have all the vegetables, eggs, brown rice (in moderation), and some dairy.

I started by taking out most sugar...I'm limited to 20g a day including natural sugars...so those energy balls are out for me. I have also limited my wheat intake. I have some in the morning if I don't have oatmeal and then I don't have any the rest of the day generally.

I haven't eaten out once or bought any snack for 10 days which is a big accomplishment for me. It's all about planning and just getting committed to it, and I want to be a good role model for my 16 year old.
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1970, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 07:26 PM
Nienna - not sure if you already know this, but Trader Joe's also sells coconut oil, and I've found it to be a much better price than Whole Foods. Just thought I'd mention it :)
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 09:06 PM
I think I'd like to join in as well! I'm not really looking to lose weight per se, but I'd like to really focus on keeping myself OFF the nasty binge/ starve cycle by eating lots of healthy food, as well as putting good stuff into my body so I can get good workout results.

I've been eating pretty well the last few weeks because I've been home to cook my own good breakfasts and lunches and my mom makes healthy dinners as well so it's been good. I'm going back to school on Sunday so hopefully I'll be able to keep myself on track there. I know I eat a million times better when I've got healthy food in my dorm room so I'm gonna need a good grocery run before I leave!

Nienna I have an amaaaazing dark leafy greens recipe that my mom makes which may make them at least somewhat better? I think this is actually one of my favorite meals ever so hope this helps. It's not really measured out but basically it's swiss chard (there's your dark leafy green haha), red and yellow beets, onions, and chickpeas sautéed in a little olive oil with lemon juice and curry powder. I could eat absolute buckets of this stuff and it's really good for you!
By yvonne131321member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 47, member since Thu Jan 03, 2013
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 PM
Oh My God those energy balls sound amazing and I have chia seeds I had no clue what to do with. Well now I know.
On Sun Jan 13, 2013 05:27 AM
^ I recommend them. They're delightful.

Nienna, can you hide spinach in your salad? Or on a sandwich intermixed with lettuce? That how I manage otherwise my dark leafy greens need to be cooked with pork fat and bacon - not exactly diet friendly.

Breakfast: Naked Red Machine and 2 hard boiled eggs

Snack: Pacha latte

Lunch: Spaghetti

Dinner: Grilled chicken breast with grilled despairagus and a large green and vegetable filled salad.

Stayed in all my food ranges today, did yoga, feeling really good (if sore) and it's time for a good night's sleep. :D
On Sun Jan 13, 2013 07:25 PM
Today is a run day! Week 2 (again) here I come!
Lunch: Cooooooofffffffeeee ! French toast, bacon and sunnyside up eggs.

Dinner: Salmon, broccoli and a salad.

Considering I slept til 11:30am (oh blissful, restful sleep yay), lunch and dinner is all I need.

I am going to make the Nacho chickpeas with fresh guacamole to take to work with me. Plus I have leftover grilled chicken for a salad and I'll have left over salmon. So I should be set as far as lunch goes for the coming week. Yay! I am slacking on the water intake though. I need to step that up. Okies, I'm off to spend time with the niece since she goes home tomorrow.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:24 AM
You guys are such brilliant eaters - I would never touch half the stuff you are on about. Slipped with Domino's pizza tonight. Whoops.

And so motivated with the exercise. How do you keep yourselves on track?

Also a slightly more random question - what do you do with your house keys when you run? I have 4 keys on my set and I can't stand them jangling around in my pocket, there is nowhere secure to leave them in the garden and most of the time Martin is out at work so I really have to lock up.
On Sun Jan 13, 2013 08:01 PM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2013-01-13 20:02:36 ..edit
You can't exercise bad food habits away, it just won't work (I know because I've tried, and been around clients for 3 years that tried.) The only people successful are people that stayed on their lifestyle change and kept their eye on the prize.

The way I do that is to close my eyes and envision what I want more...fitting into my size 6 jeans or the chocolate bar at that moment. The problem is we all love immediate gratification, but being thin is not an instant gratification kind of thing so its easy to give up. I tell my clients that the harder they work the harder it will be to give up. If you are only in half way then it is a lot easier to say, "Awwwhhh screw it, I'll workout really hard tomorrow." People grossly over estimate how hard they work out and underestimate how much they eat.

I definitely have slacked the last 2 days. I think I am over my sugar limit today because I made Belgium waffles for breakfast and they were probably about 19g per waffle...and definitely had too many carbs, but I did work out twice last week hard, danced a few days, and went to yoga twice. So I give myself a 6.5 for the week.

EDIT: OMG, I forgot to mention that I made the roasted chickpea nachos. DELICIOUS!! Thanks for the recipe it is definitely a keeper!!!

Anyone have good black bean recipes or black bean and brown rice??
On Sun Jan 13, 2013 08:53 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-01-13 21:20:45 :)
Yes. Those chickpeas are ridiculous. I made a batch and played with the recipe. I also made some fresh guacamole to go with it and even B was like heck yes fix me some for lunch tomorrow! Soooo good. Here's how I fixed them and the nutritional breakdown:

3 (400g) cans of garbanzo beans/chickpeas
1 package cherry tomatoes
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 jalapeno (cored)
1 bunch green (spring) onions
5 tsp southwest seasoning
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp olive oil

Nutrition Facts

Servings Per Recipe: 4
Serving Size: 1 serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories 279.5
Total Fat 3.8 g
Saturated Fat 0.4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.3 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.4 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 594.8 mg
Potassium 682.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
Sugars 2.8 g
Protein 11.0 g

Vitamin A 20.2 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 60.2 %
Vitamin C 143.3 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 6.6 %
Calcium 7.7 %
Copper 21.8 %
Folate 38.8 %
Iron 19.3 %
Magnesium 18.3 %
Manganese 67.3 %
Niacin 6.7 %
Pantothenic Acid 10.0 %
Phosphorus 21.4 %
Riboflavin 8.8 %
Selenium 8.5 %
Thiamin 9.9 %
Zinc 15.4 %

I'm stupidly excited for lunch tomorrow!

And so motivated with the exercise. How do you keep yourselves on track?

Well, for me, I've already lost some weight and my clothes are starting to fit better, but I'm determined to meet my goal. And I'm trying to reach my goal early (by recital in June). Then I'll have two months to try and drop another 10-15 and that will put me at my ideal weight. Honestly I feel *so* good right now, I have so much more energy and my body is responding so well to the exercise and foods that I want to keep it up. I'm forcing myself some days, because I'm trying to build a habit and once it's habit it'll be easier, but it is a fight.

Also a slightly more random question - what do you do with your house keys when you run?

I'm lucky enough to have an automatic garage with a keypad, so when B isn't home I use that. Otherwise I shove them in my bra, lol. I can't stand the jingling either and that way I can't lose them. But I wear a bralette under my bra to help keep my bra from getting gross (next on my list of purchases, a new sports bra), so I sandwich the keys between the bralette and the bra.

Anyone have good black bean recipes or black bean and brown rice??

I make my beans almost the same way every time, because I love them. After soaking, I cook them with two fresh sliced jalapenos, salt and season with the same southwest seasoning I used for the nacho chickpeas. When I serve I top it with some shredded cheddar cheese, a little sour cream and some fresh pico de gaio (tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, cilantro and lime juice). Also, I forgot I had it last time I made beans a rice, but check out red rice. It's a little nuttier and chewier than brown rice, but I love it. It's my favorite rice by far.

ETA: And all of you guys. Knowing that I'm not doing this alone, that this community is cheering me on. That we're sharing recipes and we're all inspiring each other to whatever our goal is. While mine is lose weight and become healthier in the process, it's great to see others who just want to change their diets or try something new. That keeps me going. Because when I see this thread on the front page and I didn't respond last, it makes me happy and encouraged.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 03:54 PM
Well I had bought a whole bunch of healthy groceries before I left for school and of course left them all at home, so I went to the store with my friend yesterday and got so much good stuff!

Strawberries
Blueberries
Apples
Carrots
Sugar snap peas
Lettuce
Black eyed peas
Frozen peas
Hummus
Salsa
Brown bread
Almond butter (the kind with just almonds!)
Almond milk (unsweetened)
Raw almonds
Fage plain fat free greek yogurt
Oats

The fact that I managed to fit all that in one drawer and the tiny dorm fridge I share with my roommate is sort of a miracle, but I'm in a good mood because having healthy stuff to eat makes me happy!

I had an apple and green tea when I woke up this morning and then went to the gym. I'm definitely getting back into the gym before class thing this semester because it is THE BEST way to start the morning. SO much better than sleeping in till the last minute and dragging myself to class still half asleep! I did it all the time in high school with a friend but last semester I had a lot of 8 am classes so I didn't. But all my earliest classes are 9 or 9:30 this semester so I have no excuse!

After the gym I had bread with almond butter, yogurt with flax seeds and strawberries, and almond milk with one of those little flavored straws (totally my guilty pleasure...they taste SO good with almond milk).

I'm trying to eat bigger breakfasts with protein and fiber to keep me full longer and I ate at like 9 and it's 11 now and I'm not hungry at all so this is good. Woo!
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:15 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-01-15 21:43:41
Yesterday I felt AMAZING and then the weather changed and today I feel awful.

Yesterday:
Breakfast: quinoa in almond milk with blueberries

Lunch: Nacho chickpeas and guacamole

Snack: banana, hard boiled egg, cashews

Dinner: grilled chicken breast, red rice

Today:
Breakfast: quinoa in almond milk with blueberries

Lunch: Nacho chickpeas and guacamole

Snack: banana, hard boiled egg, cashews

Dinner: trout, broccoli, red rice, and a large green salad with hard boiled egg

I got through the bulk of yesterday and I got home and fixed dinner and was hit with a massive need to sleep. I was out by 11pm. But I set my alarm and got up and did my yoga first thing (although I sort of only halfway committed to it, I am not a morning person). And now I'm sitting here at work and I just feel... ugh. Even though I've lost pounds, I'm having a serious fat day. I feel lumpy and bulky and gross. I just want to get into my sweat pants and hibernate. :( I've got my run tonight, hopefully I'm feeling more committed tonight.

ETA: I needed more calories than I thought and was hungrier than expected. In 15 minutes I run!
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six (karma: 2)
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 07:10 PM
I stay committed by hanging a pair of jeans that I used to fit into right by all my clothes. It's a reminder every morning. I have to say, I let a little bit of superiority get into my brain too. Yesterday my roommates pigged out on Pizza Hut pizza while I had a bowl of whole grain spaghetti and red sauce with corn and peas, all well within my calorie/everything else limits for the day, and I did allow myself to feel proud of myself for making a healthier option.

Everything is balance and feeds into itself, I think. If I eat well, I feel better about the days where I do a light work-out because I'm grumpy/low energy/tired/whatever. If I work out consistently, I WANT to eat well, because my body responds better when I'm feeding it whole foods than when I'm eating processed stuff.

Sparkpeople is an invaluable resource to me as well. I've blogged on there, I track my calories and fitness, it's a daily reminder of my goals. I've also searched for recipes (healthier versions of this and that) and haven't been disappointed. It makes me mindful of what I put in my system. I'm less likely to grab that cookie or biscuit if I have to hold myself accountable by entering it online later.

My appetite is doing weird things. I usually get SUPER hungry when I'm working out, but lately I've had to remind myself to eat. Every morning I eat oatmeal and a cup of tea and usually ahve a snack around 10:30 and lunch around 12:30, but today I didn't eat lunch into 1:00! And yesterday I ate a big salad at noon and didn't eat dinner until 9. Usually I have a snack arounf 4:30 and then dinner around 7, so that was so weird. I've been drinking a lot of water and herbal tea lately, but no more than usual. I'm not necessarily complaining, but I don't want to crash during a workout or have my metabolism slow down because I forget to eat!

Sumayah I bought the ingredients for the energy balls, I'm so excited to try them!

Renae, this is the traditional way I grew up eating beans and rice, and I'm going to try to replace the ingredients I use that are specific to Spanish cooking (i.e., you may not have them at home), with equivalent substitutes. But FIRST, I'm going to post below a recipe for gringo Sofrito (gringo because if you're making it in the States, you can't get the same sort of ingredients you can on the island), that seriously, everyone should have, because it's an AMAZING all-vegetable cooking base that adds flavor to everything!

SOFRITO (adapted from ricanrecipes.com)
Ingredients:
5 medium yellow onions
3 large green bell peppers
2 medium size red bell peppers
4 heads of garlic
1tsp. salt
A big bunch of cilantro
A very small bunch of fresh parsley

It seriously is super easy. Rinse all vegetables and herbs, pat dry. Chop up your peppers (remove stem and seeds), onion, and garlic into chunks. Throw everything into the blender and blend until thoroughly mashed (we don't want chunky here). It may take you a few batches in the blender. Transfer to freezable containers. Enjoy as a base for just about everything.

Now on to the beans and rice recipe. I don't have specific measurements because I've just grown up watching my mom and grandmother make this and making this myself:
Ingredients:
Brown rice
Sofrito
Green olives
Garlic powder
Tumeric
Chicken boullion
Oil
Black beans
Water
-Start with an aluminium pot (not non-stick, if you can help it). Heat up a little bit of oil.
-Add your sofrito (or: finely chopped onions, garlic, peppers) green olives and a little bit of garlic powder and tumeric, and a chicken bouillion cube.
-Stir with a wooden spoon until everything is just a little soft. Your kitchen should start to smell amazing,
-Pour in a can of beans, liquid and all. You can use dried beans definitely, I like to use the canned beans because the liquid makes the rice richer.
-Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring.
-Pour in your brown rice. I eyeball all of this, but for a can of black beans I probably use one cup of rice.
-Pour in enough water to cook the rice (this I eyeball as well. With brown rice, I use more than I would for white rice). My eyeball measure is I pour in enough water so that I can JUST barely see the rice through the murkiness of the water.
-Bring to a boil, stir.
-Put a lid on it, pull it down to a medium-simmer. Check frequently and stir, adjust water as needed (brown rice can get tricky this way)
-Serve, enjoy, save the leftovers. :)
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 07:47 PM
Oh!!! Renae, I saw your craving for pizza and I thought I'd pass along this recipe: yourlighterside.com . . .

I've made that crust before and it's pretty darn good. I think I'm going to make the breadsticks soon. Because that sounds really good. Definitely picking up the makings for sofrito.
Page:
Page 3 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch