Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 4 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:09 PM
I just thought, about where to put your keys for running, before we had a garage door keypad thing, my mom had this little pouch that attaches to your running shoes that she would use whenever she went for a run. Looks like this:

www.amazon.com . . .

Just google "running shoe pocket."
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:23 PM
I use a running belt, examples here:

Mine was NOT as expensive as ANY of those, but that's the idea. I got mine from a TJ Maxx or a Marshalls, can't remember which, for about $15. Mine holds a water bottle it comes with and then has a zippered pouch with a sort of flap on the outside that holds your MP3 player or cell phone, with a plastic front so you could change songs/answer a phone call/whatever, but your phone would still be dry if it was raining.. The flap also had a hole to poke your earphones through. Then the zippered pocket was enough to hold keys. I honestly made a copy of my house key and kept it on a small separate key ring only for running. What can get annoying is the belt would sometimes bounce around and I'd have to stop and tighten it. But it was nice to see, after a few months running, how small I had to make it versus when I first started running!

Another easy option is take just your house key with you when you run and keep it on a chain around your neck.
By yvonne131321member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 47, member since Thu Jan 03, 2013
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:48 PM
I make my beans just like nienna I promise it comes out delicious .
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Jan 16, 2013 07:56 PM
I'm feeling soooooo much better today. Yesterday was just a low energy, down day. I'm not sure if maybe it was the cleanse kicking in or the weather or what, but I feel much happier and more energetic today.
Spoiler: Show
Breakfast: smoothie - 1c greek yogurt, 1c almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1/4c frozen blueberries, a few ice cubes, stevia, instant espresso

Lunch: chicken sausage spaghetti

Snack: orange

Dinner: salmon, green beans, salad with a hard boiled egg

Dessert!!! 1/5c chia pudding

Vanilla orange chia pudding recipe:
Chia Pudding

Makes 8 1/2 C. servings

Place in a 1 quart jar, with a lid, and shake to combine:
2 1/2 C. almond milk (coconut milk or almont/cocunut milk also work)
3 T. honey (I think maple syrup might be nice too)
1/4 – 1/2 t. vanilla
pinch of salt

Add and shake again:
1/2 C. chia seeds
1/2 t. orange zest, finely chopped

Allow to stand in the fridge 5 or more hours (overnight is good). Shake or stir occasionally. Once the jell begins to form the seeds in that area tend to clump up a bit. A good shake redistributes everything nicely without destroying the jell.
Serve as is or topped with fruit, slivered almonds, drizzled with honey, or whatever delicious additions sound good to you!

*I used stevia since I'm on a no sugar cleanse, and that includes honey, maple syrup, etc. But once I get done, I'll probably remake it with raw honey.

Also day one of the cleanse: OMG I WANT EVERYTHING I CAN'T HAVE!!!
Day two of the cleanse: FOCUS SUMA! ONLY 14 MORE DAYS YOU CAN DO IT!!
Day three of the cleanse (today): :D

I feel satisfied and full, I'm looking forward to yoga later and then a nice dinner. I've got my grocery list made for tomorrow and I'm picking up fixings for Sofrito and I'm going to make slow-cooked fresh salsa chicken and I'm going to get some more chicken sausage for more spaghetti along with the rest of the staples. I'll post my grocery list tomorrow. :)
By yvonne131321member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 47, member since Thu Jan 03, 2013
On Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 PM
Since I have all those ingredients in my house i shall make this tonight!

Today was a much better eating day
Breakfast was fruits and two boiled eggs.
Lunch was a tuna sandwich.
And dinner was brown rice and red sauce chicken breast a much better menu than the usual.

~slowly but surely~
On Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:01 PM
Chia seed pudding was amazing .
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:22 PM
Ch, ch, ch, chia!

....couldn't resist.
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six (karma: 1)
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:57 PM
Gotta try that chia seed pudding! I still haven't made the energy balls, grrr. I wanted to yesterday but the significant other was having a rough day so I babied him instead.

Weekly weigh-in, down 4 pounds! :D

Today might be a little bit of a rough day, food wise, because I'm starting my day with starbucks (light vanilla tall latte and egg white and turkey bacon sandwich), which has added about 80 calories to my breakfast (which is usually under 400 calories). But it's supposed to storm today, this is day 5 of not getting a decent night's sleep, and damnit I just wanted a coffee and a breakfast sandwich instead of my usual oatmeal and tea.

My appetite has been all over the place though, which I'm not liking. I grew up eating white rice and beans and a protein and vegetable just about every day of my life, so I'm used to that heavy feeling in my stomach. I think it will get better though. My energy levels haven't gone down, I actually worked out HARDER yesterday than I have recently, it may just be a matter of mentally adjusting myself. And getting more fiber probably. MUST pick up some quinoa soon!
On Thu Jan 17, 2013 05:49 PM
Nienna,
I know what you mean my plate was the same I am down sizing little by little.

So far the day started out well. I will let you know after lunch though since we have drug reps brining the office lunch today. I havent done my weight yet sadly but I will next week. Tonight is the second class of ballet so YAY!
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Thu Jan 17, 2013 07:42 PM
I can't wait to try the pudding!! Looks fabulous and I've been craving pudding like no other when I am grocery shopping.

I have been eating well, making good choices, having small treats that don't go over my sugar grams and worked out twice this week (moderate lifting/circuit training) along with teaching dance/bootcamp. I got on the scale at the gym (which I never ever do), and was horrified that I haven't lost a pound. It's been 2 weeks, and I thought for sure I'd have lost something due to the no sugar intake. I think I have lots a little weight in my thighs, and sides of my stomach but obviously not a big enough difference to see a difference in my pants yet. Still, my husband has lost 11 pounds. It's frustrating...and this is where I tell my clients that it is more than numbers on a scale. They shouldn't be defined by their weight, their progress isn't based on the scale BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Oh well, staying focused and committed.
On Fri Jan 18, 2013 05:48 AM
Breakfast: smoothie

Lunch: southwest chickpeas

Dinner: salsa smother shredded chicken with quinoa and guacamole

post run: 2C vanilla almond milk
On Fri Jan 18, 2013 05:54 AM
I had southwest chickpeas for lunch too!! *fist bump*
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 03:19 PM
New recipe to share!!! Cauliflower pizza!

Image hotlink - 'http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/imadansuer/cauliflowerpizza.jpg'

Courtesy of a friend: 2 eggs, 1/2 head cauliflower grated, 1 and 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (I used mozzerella), salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and basil (just kind of estimate...I'm conservative with herbs and spices). spread very thin and bake for 30ish min at 350 degrees. It won't be completely cripsy but the edges should turn a little brown.

Precook toppings and add on top of baked crust (you can add a little sauce or do a garlic/olive oil base). Make sure you have enough toppings, the crust has a large surface area and I ran out. Top with a 1/2 cup cheese (if so desired) Place in oven on broil until cheese melts.

You have to eat with a fork because the crust isn't hard or firm like normal pizza crust, but it was sooooo delicious and you can eat a ton because it is very low cal and it satisfies my pizza cravings. My husband loved it, and since I am not a good vegetable eater it helps me to get a few servings in because I've learned to eat cooked veggies on pizza. YAY!!!
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 04:00 PM
I posted that recipe in a link for you on the previous page. ;) It is really good though!
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 06:18 PM
ZOMG how did I miss it? Yes very similar...heating times just a little different, and I modified my own toppings. Did I mention it was amazing? We are having it again tomorrow.
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 07:57 PM
Friday:

Lunch: salmon, green beans, red rice

Snack: raw cashews

Dessert: Chia pudding and a banana

Today:

Lunch: southwest chickpeas and guacamole

Dinner: salsa chicken, quinoa, guacamole
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:49 PM
Did yoga today, had the southwest chickpeas for lunch (added some onion and yellow pepper today too), and made a ton of vegetables for cauliflower pizza tonight. Carmelized onions and red peppers, sauteed mushrooms and zucchini. Also made the chia seed pudding and waiting for it to set fully. Thanks to this thread for providing such good stay fit recipes.

I'm still annoyed I haven't seen more progress. This is honestly the best I've eaten in years. I've never had such limited sugar, and so many vegetables each day. GAH...but I do feel good so that is the most important thing.
On Sun Jan 20, 2013 02:26 AM
I'm unreasonably tired. As soon as I can go home, I'm taking a shower and going to bed. I'm hoping this is just the cleanse doing its thing and that tomorrow I'll feel amazing and not that I'm getting sick (everyone is getting sick). I also have the worst headache, and I've taken medication for it. So I'm not going to run tonight and I missed yoga last night. I'll pick it up with some yoga tomorrow and if I'm feeling up to it I may run.

Renae, don't get discouraged. You'll probably notice all at once when you lose weight. My body tends to do that. It will stay the same for a few weeks, maybe only changing by a pound or so, and then I'll weight myself and 4 pounds are just gone. Then I'll weigh myself the next day thinking it was a fluke and I'll be down another pound. And then I'll level off for a few weeks. One thing that might help is tracking measurements, because as your body changes shape, you may notice a huge difference in tape measure numbers even if you don't see a difference in scale numbers.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Sun Jan 20, 2013 04:24 AM
Yum, that pizza looks amazing!!

I've had a seriously great week food- and exercise-wise. And honestly great in general. Not sure what's affecting what here, or if they're all even related but no matter what I'm super motivated to keep doing what I'm doing. Trying to get myself to throw out the scale... That thing has been nothing but bad news for as long as I've ever owned it, but it's still hard to just get up the courage to throw it out. But I think I'm gonna.

Favorite healthy snack/ breakfast food of the week: Mix honey (agave, stevia, whatever), ground flax seed, and greek yogurt in a bowl and then dump in a lot of frozen blueberries (other berries/ frozen fruit work too) and mix it up. The yogurt gets all frozen too from the berries and it's SO GOOD.

My two best friends at school and I have a challenge to see who's going to be the first to crack and get ice cream at the dining hall! It's ON! We've all 3 lasted the week at least, so that has to count for something!

Quick proud moment: As of this week I can hold a plank for 2 and a half minutes! And wall-sits and flutter kicks as well. Yay!

So that was some random good things for the week :)
On Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-01-20 11:41:14
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-01-20 11:42:56
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-01-20 11:47:15 why is this image so huge??
I slept like 11 hours last night - straight. I think I was just run down because today I feel great! I'm sitting here drinking my smoothie, feeling pretty darn good about life. I realized that I've been putting what I eat, but I haven't been really putting how much I eat and looking at it, I'm eating way more than you might suspect.

For instance, my smoothie. When I say smoothie, I mean a full 32oz glass full. A friend was asking for smoothie recipes so I gave her the one I make, because it's easy to play with and is filling. Here's the nutritional breakdown of my smoothie:

1 frozen banana, chopped up
1C non-fat, unsweetened, plain Greek yogurt
1C unsweetened, plain almond milk
1/4C-1/2C frozen fruit (I've been on a cherry kick lately)
1tsp stevia
1/8tsp vanilla extract
2tsp instant espresso (because I'm addicted to caffeine and if I'm drinking 32oz of smoothie, there's no room for brewed coffee)
3-4 ice cubes
Calories 297.4
Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 10.0 mg
Sodium 391.4 mg
Potassium 740.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 33.5 g
Protein 14.6 g

Vitamin A 20.3 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 35.0 %
Vitamin C 26.2 %
Vitamin D 25.0 %
Vitamin E 51.6 %
Calcium 71.2 %
Copper 7.3 %
Folate 5.9 %
Iron 2.8 %
Magnesium 13.7 %
Manganese 10.5 %
Niacin 3.5 %
Pantothenic Acid 3.8 %
Phosphorus 7.1 %
Riboflavin 7.8 %
Selenium 1.8 %
Thiamin 4.1 %
Zinc 1.5 %

I like that the banana/yogurt/almond milk base is easy to build on. I've been known to add some PB2 (powdered, low fat peanut butter) and unsweetened cocoa powder to it for a Reese's Peanut Butter cup-esque smoothie. Or I've used the almond/coconutmilk and tropical fruits (there's a frozen bag of strawberries/mangos/papaya I love). It is high in sugars, but being that I'm severely hypoglycemic, a lot of sugar first thing in the morning is actually a good thing.

Here's a serving size of the chickpeas:
Image hotlink - 'http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk313/gimpedstuff/703554_4256789466896_1229000695_o_zpsf0f25711.jpg'
I'm eating 2C worth of the chickpeas and 20oz worth of guacamole which together is 401 calories.

Here's the salsa smothered slow cooked chicken served with quinoa and guacamole:
Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1232_4270705454787_1466908232_n.jpg'
1C worth of shredded chicken (that equals about an entire half chicken breast), 3/4C (cooked) quinoa, 20oz worth of guacamole, altogether is 587 calories.

Yesterday I had all that and had 35grams of cashews for snack and my totals looked like this:
CALORIES = 1,553; CARBS = 191; FAT = 56; PROTEIN = 84

So, don't look at my food entries and think, how is she eating so little? Believe me I'm not, I'm eating a ton of food. Oh! And good news!! I started off at XX0.0 lbs and I'm now down to XW4.5 - I've lost 15.5 pounds! Go me! I didn't run or yoga in the past two days because I've been mentally and physically so fatigued, but I'm getting back with it today with a nice hour long yoga session! :D

ETA: Oh! And B has discovered Kind bars which are really tasty! He picked me up a box of the Cranberry Almond + Antioxidants for when my cleanse is over. They're so good!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Mon Jan 21, 2013 08:32 PM
I made some stuff to start my cleanse tomorrow. I've got the ingredients for 5 days' worth of juice or smoothies. I have 4 portions of butternut squash soup ready. I have 5 portions of the fruit & nut balls (teehee!) ready & 1 portion of the roasted cauliflower. I'm going to make something to eat for dinner later. I have to share the kitchen with my mom, so I need to be done with everything I'm doing by the time she's ready to make dinner. That still gives me a few more hours. I'll probably make the roasted portabellos with kale.
On Tue Jan 22, 2013 01:09 AM
I loved Kind bars, but it's half of my sugar intake for a day, so I found Think Thin bars. 0g of sugar, but they don't taste as good. Oh well.

I made Chicken Marsala with no butter last night. I didn't even miss it. Tried to convince my mom to try the vegetable pizza and she was quite skeptical. We don't like the same vegetables, so it might be a hard sell, but I'm bound and determined to have her over and try a piece one day.

Left over chicken and southwest chickpeas. (yum)

The chia seed pudding didn't turn out well for me. It was very liquid. The texture was almost slimy. The flavor was good, but I couldn't get beyond the texture. So, I'm trying a sugar free pudding with almond milk soon and I'll let you know.
On Tue Jan 22, 2013 08:40 PM
Yesterday I was under my caloric intake.
Breakfast: 3/4c quinoa with 1/2c unsweet plain almond milk, 1/4c blueberries, 1/2tsp stevia, 1/8tsp vanilla extract, 1tbsp cinnamon

Lunch: 1/2 grilled chicken breast (meaning, one whole half piece if that makes sense at all), 1/2c green beans

Snack: 1 med Jazz apple

Dinner: 1 serving of quinoa noodles (I mixed the elbows and pagodas) with Italian chicken sausage, sauted squash, zucchini, onion and 1 green and red bell pepper, garlic

Today, I rediscovered how amazing full fat yogurt tastes. OMG. It seems when I picked up my fat free yogurt someone had put the full fat in its spot and since the labels are nearly identical (there's a blue banner that says "fat free" on the one I get) I didn't notice til I unscrewed the lid and saw the layer of cream on top. Omg omg omgomgomg. so I stirred it up and figured I've been doing really well staying in my fat range so why not. So good. It made my smoothie this morning taste amazing. Back to fat free next grocery store trip, but for the rest of the week? Omnomnomnom.

I'm into week two of my cleanse and I'll finish Monday. b wanted to go out to eat on Thursday and I had to put him off til next week because I'm so ready to throw the towel in. I won't. I'm going to stick it out. It's just one more week. And it's not like I'm doing badly, I just want my dairy back! Yogurt is the only dairy they allow (pro-biotics woo!) and I want cheese and cottage cheese and milk. DAIRY!!!!! But really that's the only I'm feeling deprived of. Everything else I feel really good about. With the exception of occasionally going out to eat, I'm going to keep eating the way I have been. Oh and next week, the cauliflower pizza is on! I think I'll get some more of the chicken sausage and some olives and mushrooms and saute some onions and toss them on there with some spinach and feta cheese. Maybe get a nice pesto (I adore pesto - I'd rather have pesto over marinara any day)... Oh yes, pizza next week!
Breakfast: 1c unsweetened plain almond milk, 1c delicious plain unsweetened yogurt, 1/2c frozen cherries, 1 frozen banana, a large handful of ice cubes, 1/2tsp stevia, 1/8tsp vanilla extract. A beautiful pinky colored, near slushie consistancy smoothie.

Lunch: 1 serving of the aforementioned spaghetti. I didn't measure it per se, but I did divide it equally between 8 servings and at 322 calories, 52 carbs, 7 fat, and 14 protein, it's filling and delightful

Snack: jazz apple

Snack: banana

Not sure what's going to happen for dinner, I've got trout and salmon but I need to yoga first when I get home tonight which pushes dinner back really late. I need to start bringing dinner on Tuesdays for my break in between classes. That would solve this dilemma. But for today, I'm over 300 calories short. But, if I eat the salmon and broccoli and salad, it will sit me just right calorie and protein and everythingwise. Hrm, maybe I can do yoga right before bed? Might try that because I don't like eating late and I'm getting home late as it is from teaching (so dinner will be at like 9:30pm :/ Yeesh). I know you're supposed to wait 3 hours before doing it, but that would mean staying up til 2am before I shower and go to bed. Or I yoga at 9:30, eat at 11ish. Ugh. Neither choice sounds really good. I did run this morning, but you know what, I can run tomorrow night, get myself back on the schedule I want to be on and yoga on Thursday. Ugh, decisions!
On Wed Jan 23, 2013 09:51 PM
I made the Sofrito and finally used it today. I grabbed a can of black beans, added a cube of Sofrito to it and heated through. Delicious. Thank you so much for sharing that! Seriously, they were like the black beans I get at a restaurant.

Breakfast: smoothie! 32 oz of yogurty cherry bliss!

Snack: Starbucks cappuccino - my boss is awesome!

Lunch: Tuna fish made with hard boiled eggs on cucumbers and red bell pepper with a side of black beans

Dinner: Chicken sausage spaghetti!
On Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 PM
Can we all just take a moment and appreciate almond things? Almonds, almond butter, and almond milk are all seriously the greatest. Noms.

I made myself a workout calendar for January and I've followed it exactly for 3 weeks now :) They say 21 days to make a habit, so here's hoping I stick with this one! I even made myself run in the COLD this morning and I'm really glad I did even though I thought my fingers might fall off :P I would love to run a half marathon this summer, or at least be able to do that distance even if I can't find a race so I need to stay motivated!

I seriously wish I was home so I could try all these amazing recipes! I can make the pudding in my dorm fridge though so maybe I'll give that a try.
Page:
Page 4 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch