Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 7 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Feb 11, 2013 07:36 PM
Hello plateau, how are you. I've pretty much stabilized at XW0-XW2 and can't break through to XV9. I'll grant you though, I have not been consistent with my work-outs so if I step those up, I can probably push past. My body could also being going, holy crap, 20 pounds... can we just, can we just hang on a sec and let me catch up? And though I know this, it doesn't make it any less disheartening to step on the scale and see a minor fluctuation up or down. Come on body, I want to post a new letter!

Yesterday I finally started feeling better later in the afternoon and actually had an appetite for J's birthday. We went to a burger bar where the food is all natural and organic and local. I had the Magic Schroom burger and it was delightful. And since I hadn't felt great all day, I had the calories for it! Dinner is a best guess estimate based on what I found online.

Spoiler: Show
Breakfast:
Brewed Coffee, Black, 10 oz
HEB All Natural Almond Milk: Chocolate (1c = 1 serving), 0.25 cup
Kind Plus Antioxidants Bar - Cranberry & Almond (1 bar), 1 serving
Breakfast TOTALS: 225 26 13 4

Lunch:
Banana, fresh, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)
Brewed Coffee, Black, 10 oz
Greek Gods Greek Yogurt: Nonfat Plain (4oz (113g) = 1 serving), 4 oz
Flax Seed, Ground, Spectrum, Organic, 2 tbsp
HEB All Natural Almond Milk: Chocolate (1c = 1 serving), 0.75 cup
Horizon Organic Cottage Cheese 4% milkfat, 0.25 cup
Honey, raw, 1 tbsp
Cranberries, 0.5 cup, whole
Lunch TOTALS: 495 85 10 18

Dinner:
Hopdoddy Burgers Magic Shrooms, 1 serving
French Fries (french fried potatoes), 30 strips
Ketchup, Heinz, 1 tbsp
Dinner TOTALS: 720 90 30 21

CALORIES: 1440 (1200-1550); CARBS: 200 (135-252); FAT: 54 (27-60); PROTEIN: 43 (60-136)
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Tue Feb 12, 2013 02:39 AM
I worked out extra hard this past week, but I also went over my calorie counts a couple of times, so we'll see what the scale says this Wednesday.

Mostly proud that I've come to crave the gym time! I'm really pushing myself, I did 40 minutes on the elliptical on Saturday with intervals of resistance 16 and resistance 4. It about killed me, but I did it!

I was so stressed last week and I can't imagine what I would've been like without all the gym time. I start physical therapy tomorrow and I'm vaguely terrified they'll tell me to stop working out for awhile, but working out doesn't make my back pain worse, so hopefully not?
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Tue Feb 12, 2013 05:41 AM
I'm Jumping on the bandwagon with you guys. I have been lurking and reading this thread since it started and I'm totally inspired by the recipes and support! I think the coolest thing I've seen is the support on bad days. I'm great at eating well until I hit a wall and then it's self destruct excuse time. I wanna be able to better cope with rough times and persevere!

I am trying to lose around 20 pounds. I plan to do this by eating lots of protein veggies and fruits. I limit my processed carbs and sugars because that's what seems to really put the weight on for me. I get some exercise through work as I'm in a restaurant on my feet over 20 hrs per week. I also want to start my days with some stretching and yoga and I'm planning to take one or two ballet classes per week. I might start running too, we'll see.

I am hoping to reach my goal by the summer which is about 5 months from now. I wanna wear shorts and tank tops and feel good about myself!

Love this thread and will post recipes as I go. Tonight I made tacos with ground turkey and used lettuce as the tortilla to cut down on carbs. Made homemade guacamole too. Super yum!

Cheers guys. Yay
On Tue Feb 12, 2013 05:50 PM
^ Welcome to the thread!

So here's today's plan.
Breakfast:
Half and Half Cream, 0.5 cup
Starbuck's Flavored Syrups, One Pump, 4 serving
Starbucks Espresso (solo - 1oz shot), 4 oz
Starbucks Protein Artisan Snack Plate (Hard-boiled, cage-free egg, grapes, sliced apples, and white , 1 serving
Breakfast TOTALS: 627 65 33 17

Lunch:
Sausage & Shrimp Red Pepper Tomato Soup, 1 serving (view recipe)
Lunch TOTALS: 356 28 13 33

Dinner:
Ancient Harvest Quinoa 1/4 cup dry = 3/4 cup cooked, 0.25 cup
Broccoli, cooked, 0.5 cup, chopped
Generic - Grilled Pork Chop, 4 oz, 1 serving
Dinner TOTALS: 215 16 6 27

Snack:
Flax Seed, Ground, Spectrum, Organic, 2 tbsp
Banana, fresh, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)
Horizon Organic Cottage Cheese 4% milkfat, 0.5 cup
Snack TOTALS: 309 37 11 17

CALORIES: 1507 (1200-1550); CARBS: 146 (135-252); FAT: 63 (27-60); PROTEIN 94 (60-136)
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1970, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:57 PM
Decided I'd like to finally jump in as well :) I have also been following the thread for a while, and agree that the recipes/support are great.

My problem tends to not be that I eat unhealthy meals, but rather that I add in too many extra snacks (healthy and unhealthy), which ends up meaning too many calories. I'm a college student in a really rigorous engineering program, so sometimes I end of staying up realllly late,and find it hard not to snack then. Also, like LeSoulierVert, I'm trying to avoid having lots processed carbs/sugar and instead focus on lots of vegetables, protein, and some fruit.

I'm hoping that just writing down my daily menu will help me be more mindful - I think if I have to admit to all the "extras" I sneak in, I'll be less likely to do so. And then maybe after a while I might try something like Spark People, My Fitness Pal, etc. if I feel like I can't gauge portions, etc. as well as I'd like.

Sooo...today's menu:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with spinach and a little bit of Trader Joe's goat's milk creamy cheese

A mid-morning cappuccino snuck in here...should probably do plain coffee for my caffeine boost, if needed.

Lunch: Salad with chicken breast, hardboiled egg, blue cheese, carrots, avocado, and a little bit of olive oil/balsamic vinegar

Snack: 2% Greek yogurt mixed with 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, and a little bit of honey (<1 tbsp, I'm pretty sure)

Dinner (planned): Roasted mushrooms, roasted butternut squash, short ribs with 5 spice powder

Snack: Green grapes
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 02:09 PM
^Get a cheap set of measuring cups and spoons. That's all it takes to measure portions! If I'm at home I don't eyeball, but even out I've gotten REALLY good at knowing what a 4 oz serving of meat is, a half cup of rice, etc. etc.

Yesterday I made some of Sumayah's famous quinoa pasta with chicken sausage and it was so amazing. I have some for lunch today and am beyond excited to have it for lunch. I made mine with red sauce and Craig's with white sauce and we both proclaimed it a success.

No significant weight loss this week, but no movement in the other direction either, and my clothes are fitting looser, so I'll take it. :D
By Garnet_Juliet Comments: 134, member since Mon Jan 28, 2013
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 02:20 PM
Yesterday I went for the first run of the year. Finally the weather was warm and I had the time. It was easy at first but then, oh the struggle! But I kept telling myself: "If you can make it until 4:30, run until 4:30, you can do anything. You're strong than you think you are. Just keep going."

I want to tell you all this. Set a goal for yourself, a small, short term goal: Example: Eat only what you planned today. Or: Do ___ number of exercises. And tell yourself that if you do that you can do anything.

You're stronger than you think you are. Prove it. Make yourself proud.
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1970, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 04:53 PM
^^Thanks, Nienna; that's a good idea :) I already make pretty good use of my measuring spoons, but I don't use the measuring cups as much, so I'll keep that in ind. I think eyeballing 4 oz, etc. of meat is what's harder for me, but I'm sure practice helps. I would consider getting a kitchen scale, but since I'm living in a dorm and already have way too many kitchen implements as is, I'm holding off for now.

^Garnet_Juliet - totally agree about the short term goals. I've found that to be a really, really effective strategy for me.

Yesterday was...okay. Until it ended up involving a couple cookies and some late-night soda as I worked until 2-something in the morning on a group project. Not that that's an excuse, though!

Yesterday:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with spinach and a little bit of Trader Joe's goat's milk creamy cheese

Lunch: Salad with chicken breast, hardboiled egg, blue cheese, carrots, avocado, and a little bit of olive oil/balsamic vinegar

1/2 chocolate chip cookie

Snack: 1 sugar cookie

Dinner: Cooked Trader Joe's Power to the Greens with a few little pieces of bacon, roasted butternut squash, short ribs with 5 spice powder

Late Night: Coca cola...not super proud of this one, especially because soda isn't one of my usual downfalls.

Between Valentine's Day today (going out for dinner) and my boyfriend's 21st birthday tomorrow, things definitely won't be the healthiest for a couple days, but from Saturday on should be good.
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 08:38 PM
Well, I mean. Valentine's Day. So, we're just going to ignore today. And not stress. Eat healthfully, but allow a bit of a splurge. That splurge is cherry pie and ice cream. And strawberries and chocolate. And yeah, well... this is one of the few holiday's B really goes all out for so, all out we go! See on the healthier side of things tomorrow!
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 08:51 PM
Speaking of Valentine's Days, how does everyone deal with treats, out of curiosity?

Today my boss brought in gorgeous cupcakes which of course sit out in the open and look beautiful. This is not one of my stronger weeks, fitness/health wise. I'm very well within my calorie counts, but I've been wanting the convenience of getting easy food out and being able to eat easy food for dinner. Still, I'm doing good, so I'm not sweating it too much. In any case, I had half of one cupcake, and I ate it REALLY slowly, no distractions. I found that I was sort of done with it 3/4 of the way through and tossed the rest. I'm really excited about this guys! I didn't deny myself, because that would've made me super glum in a week like this, I FIRST ate my snack of raw bell pepper slices, and when I was still craving it I allowed myself a good portion (these were huge, so one half I think would be about equal to one home-made vanilla cupcake made in a normal cupcake tin), ate it slowly and stopped when I was done. I have no impulse to go get the other half. :D

This may not seem like a big deal, but I'm just loving how I'm learning to really ride my upswings of motivation (those weeks where all I want to eat is healthy greens and all I want to do is work out all. the. time.) and learning to ride out my downswings. Yay for healthy and effective ways of dealing with weight loss! I'm so much more confident that I can keep it up as well.
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 09:24 PM
Nienna wrote:

Speaking of Valentine's Days, how does everyone deal with treats, out of curiosity?

My boyfriend and I are both trying to eat healthier, so we made a pact that we would not buy each other treats - no chocolates, no candy, none of that junk. We ARE going out to eat, but at least there won't be heaps of junk lying around the apartment.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:20 AM
I had my first major sugar cave yesterday. A student brought me a small box of chocolates. I had 4 of them...all I can think of today is how much I want more chocolates with soft creamy centers. That is my problem...opening the door slightly and now I'm craving it again. I also had 2 slices of pizza with ranch yesterday so I'm all out of sorts, but I haven't been too bad today. I made brown rice and buffalo chicken casserole. The sauce probably had a lot of sugar, but in general it wasn't bad.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 05:56 PM
I need to jump in here. Maybe it's because I feel overall fat and gross today, but I really do want to eat better. My parents are out of town this weekend, so I'm going to take the opportunity to clean out some space in the fridge. Then I'm going to plan my meals for the week, go to Trader Joe's, and follow through. I can batch cook a lot on Sunday and I have tons of easy, healthy recipes to try. That southwest chickpea casserole looked fantastic. I'm dying to try that.

I *want* to get rid of this muffin top. Blech.
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six (karma: 1)
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Mon Feb 18, 2013 04:27 AM
GREAT WEEK!

Food-wise, very good up until Friday... Then I was home for the weekend :P I always joke that any freshman 15 I get is going to be on trips home because the food my mom makes is so freaking GOOD. And not that it's unhealthy, but I eat so so much. I'm not beating myself up about it though because I do eat well at school and a couple homemade meals are so worth it.

Exercise-wise, so good!!! So this Thursday I went on a 6 mile run and instead of my usual loop which is pretty hilly (my school is in the mountains) but not too bad, I decided to do a couple loops of this super steep road and it was a KILLER workout but I felt so great after. And then my run on Saturday at home, also 6 miles, was also amazing. The first 3 miles were fine and then the last 3 I kicked into gear I think and I decided to time myself on those and they were all under 8 minute miles (!!!!!!).

I am so so so happy about this I can't even explain, because this was the first time I've run at home since break, and in January, that last 3-mile section was my whole run, and I don't think I could have done just that at that pace, but now I can do that pace having already run 3 miles! It's working guys, it really is!

My sister and I decided we are going to do a half-marathon in September. I really really hope this isn't just something I'm saying now and then will fall through, but I don't think it is. This year is the first time I've really stuck out any kind of workout plan and before this week, I had only ever run 6 miles once before in my life and it was pretty miserable. Now I'm starting to really love running and I'm doing it because I want to get faster and better, not because I feel guilty about food or something. I'm just so so happy with the progress I've made, even in a month and a half :) :)
On Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 PM
^That sounds awesome; great job! And I totally know what you mean about going home and just eating everything because it's better than college food...I'm not on a meal plan now, but I had to have one freshman year and I definitely remember that.

So Thursday-Sunday are just gonna be ignored...as I said before, between Valentine's Day and bf's 21st, things could've been healthier. Regardless, moving on, and off to a good start today. I've really been trying to figure out when exactly I reach for unhealthy food and why, and then bought some healthier alternatives when I went grocery shopping.

Today:

Breakfast: 2 egg muffins (eggs filled with veggies and a little meat baked in muffin cups...1 egg/2 muffins...really good!) and a Trader Joe's chicken apple breakfast sausage.

Lunch: 3 slices Applegate roast beef with avocado, sugar snap peas, green/kalamata olives, and 1 pack TJ's fruit flakes.

Snack: 2 cheddar string cheeses and a few slices salami.

Dinner (planned): Roasted brussels sprouts, green beans, and chicken/mushroom/snow pea stir-fry with a teriyaki-ish sauce I improvised.

Snack (planned): Some grapes or blueberries, depending on what I feel like after rehearsal

Oh, and there was also some coffee with milk in there.

On Tue Feb 19, 2013 01:52 PM
So I went to Katuscon this weekend which was a great amount of fun but NOT good for my diet, oh boy. I just put in everything and the damage definitely wasn't as bad as it could've been, but I'm skipping my weigh-in this week because, why do it to myself?

This is going to be one of those weeks that's tough to fit in workouts into, but I'll manage. DEFINITELY going tomorrow, and I may have to get up early Thursday and go, and then must must must go Friday. Saturday I'm going to a spa with another DDNer so I'm hoping to make my three workouts before then really intense so I can enjoy the spa even more.

Guys I ate so much pizza this weekend, and my stomach is not. having it. I'm glad that I'm so trained to eat healthy food now that my body recoils at the carb and fat fest that is pizza, but I wish it wasn't quite so painful!
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Wed Feb 20, 2013 07:55 PM
^Oh my goodness I feel you... I had a big ice cream with toppings at the dining hall yesterday and got the worst stomachache. I'm kind of happy when that happens because it reminds me why it's better to eat better but still, uggghhh.

Also last night I had dinner at one of my friend's apartments and it was tacos and bleh :P I didn't even eat that much because it just wasn't really appetizing..I guess it wasn't that bad but the taco shells were definitely not good, and I don't even really like ground beef, plus it was oily, and I just felt kind of icky all evening. My body is happy happy happy when I feed it veggies and fruits and lean protein and whole grains and when I feed it other stuff it just feels kind of crappy.

So yesterday wasn't the greatest food day. Today has been much better though. I had a banana and tea before my run and then a peanut butter (only peanuts) and flax seed sandwich on whole wheat when I got back. Then I had veggie sushi for a mid-morning snack because I was STARVING and I needed something to get me through studying stats haha, and I just had a spinach salad and a turkey sandwich for late lunch. I'm not sure what I'll do about dinner because I'm volunteering 6-9 and I'm not gonna be super hungry at 5 but I'll probably just get some veggies or salad before I go and then have a snack after. Lots of little meals today I guess. Btw, best snack=frozen peas heated up in the microwave. I feel like peas are such an under-appreciated vegetable. I LOVE THEM.

Also guess what I can do now! 3 sets of 12 REAL push-ups (1 minute breaks in between sets)! I don't honestly know if that's a lot but I know compared to January when I could barely do 5, it's an improvement! For them, just like everything else, I started with what I could do easily and have just been plugging along and adding a little bit each week. Slow and steady and it WORKS.
On Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:03 PM
Yesterday was another good day. I was really proud that even though I had to stay up late doing hw and I was really tired and therefore unhappy about that, I didn't go crazy with snacking and instead just had some more tea/decaf coffee. Today was a bit of a different story since I hit 'off' instead of snooze on my alarm this morning and woke up ~7 minutes before my first class...I really didn't want to miss it, so I just ran to class and therefore didn't have time to eat breakfast or lunch. I ended up buying food on campus, which in terms of calories probably wasn't so bad (especially since I didn't get to have breakfast), but isn't as healthy and probably had a lot more sodium, sugar, etc. Oh well...I think that falls squarely in the category of unforeseen circumstances ;)

Yesterday:

Breakfast: 2 egg muffins and 1 chicken-apple sausage, coffee w/ a little half and half

Lunch: 3 slice roast beef with avocado, olives, sugar snap peas, Trader Joe's fruit flakes

Snack: cheddar string cheese, a few slices of salami, and a few macadamia nuts

Dinner: Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and chicken stir fry

Snack: Blueberries and Trader Joe's 100 calorie 70% dark chocolate bar (so good, by the way!)

Today:

Lunch: Rice with chicken and veggies and some kind of sauce; a cappuccino

Snack: A couple slices of salami and a cheddar string cheese

Dinner (planned): Green beans, broccoli, and chicken stir fry

Snack (planned): Blueberries

I have to go do a group lab report in the library so I might bring a string cheese or some fruit in case we're they're really late and I don't get to eat dinner...*pondering*

Anyway, good work, everyone! djchara, I'm impressed about the push-ups! I'm trying to focus a lot on upper body and core strength.
On Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:49 PM
High five you guys! I'll be back. I'm sick and just really run down and ugh. I'll be back into here soon.
On Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:34 PM
^Feel better soon!

Gym tonight, yay! I'm stuck at work late, boo. Gym will be empty, yay! I have to go again tomorrow morning, EARLY. boo.

Eating is going quite well. My body is SOO thrilled to be eating homemade things again and whole foods rather than the crap I ate all weekend.

Not weighing in this week becauseeee my weekend was bad bad bad. Very happy to be back in the swing of my healthy habits though!
On Wed Feb 20, 2013 07:18 PM
Edited by djchara (219250) on 2013-02-20 19:28:26
Firebird the roast beef and avocado sounds sooo so good!!

Imadanseur I have a question re your under 20g of sugar a day (that other eating healthy thread reminded me to ask)- do you count fruit in that? What about milk?
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six (karma: 1)
On Thu Feb 21, 2013 01:54 PM
Guyssssss I cheated at the gym tonight and weighed-in anyway and I'm down another 2 poundsssss! 10 pounds down! Woo! Double digits! 21 more to go, and it seems more achievable than ever. :D

Decided not to go to the gym this morning in favor of my mental health (I worked until 8:30 last night, so basically a 12 hour day, then did cardio at the gym, and got home at 10pm. The plan was to get up at 5:45 and go to work, but I would've died, I think), so tomorrow I need to get in an hour of cardio, gods help me.

Still very excited at my progress!
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Fri Feb 22, 2013 07:10 AM
Slow and steady progress for me. Lost a pound and a half since I last posted. Definitely focusing on going extremely slowly. I've lost weight quickly before and I always end up gaining it back even quicker. I'm feeling good though and like this is the beginning of lasting change. The more I treat my body well the better it feels.

Been really into scrambles lately. Love how fast I can make a big delicious plate of veggies and protein.

Took home a ton of left over chickpea salad from work so ill probably be snacking on that for the next few days. Yay free food.

Oh and I'm back to ballet! Took a class on Monday and it was pretty epic. The petit allegro totally took me down but I was loving every minute of it. Can't wait for next week. I forgot how much I love to get my heart rate up. This class goes very fast and everyone in it is really good. Glad I could keep up after an almost 5 year break!!
On Fri Feb 22, 2013 01:37 PM
Awww thanks for the karma!

It's almost shark week and I'm extra sensitive, which is fine except yesterday I did the math and realized I don't lose 2 pounds a week consistently enough to reach my goal on my birthday. :( And I honestly felt like throwing in the towel (it was sort of a bad moment), but I told myself that sticking a weight loss goal on an arbitrary date is all well and good, but the I invented that goal, there's nothing in any book, studied by any professional, that says I've failed unless I've managed to lose that much weight in the time frame I've given myself. As it is, I will be in much better shape for summer than I was last year, and I'll just keep working until I get to my goal. Any anyway, I'm the most fit I've been in a whole year, and it shows! :D

I went to the gym this morning and did a 45 minute elliptical workout as well as lots of arm strength training. Tomorrow morning I think I'll go for a run (gods help me, I haven't been on a run in MONTHS), and then it's shopping and spa day.
On Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:28 PM
Good luck on your run!! I think if you can do 45 mins on the elliptical it shouldn't be hard!

LeSoulierVert- scrambles are the thing I miss most about being in a dorm and not having a kitchen. They work for every meal and they are so so good and there are so many good combos!

Today I had brunch at my friends' house--they are all seniors and invited a bunch of freshmen over for pancakes. They made these ones with dark chocolate and banana and coconut and oh my goodness so so delicious. So not the healthiest breakfast haha but I don't really care because it was amazing! I've just been snacking (on fruit and veg and almonds) for the afternoon because breakfast was late and I'm going out for dinner later with friends.

Also my exciting news of the day is that I ran 6.5 miles which is the farthest I've ever run in my life! But I've been working up a little at a time and it wasn't even too hard. Sorry I gush about running so much haha but it just makes me so happy :)

I was talking to my dad on the phone this morning and we were talking about running and he was saying "Wow, I'm impressed, I couldn't keep up with you" and I said, "Yeah but in the beginning of January I couldn't have kept up with me now either." And the more I think about that, the happier it makes me. Progress, progress, progress, and it hasn't even been two months!
Page:
Page 7 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch