Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 8 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2426, member since Tue Feb 20, 2007
On Sun Feb 24, 2013 02:45 AM
I wanna join!!! I've been a lurker. (Or maybe I've posted before at the beginning? I can't remember lol)

I have recently started adding Tapout XT videos into my week. I LOVE THOSE WORKOUTS! Wow. I was DRIPPING in sweat. It was awesome. I loved it. I might even love it just a tiny touch more than Insanity...or the same...lol I'm surprised at how motivated I am to do a 45-50 minute workout and actually be able to do it all. I did my first one last week I think (after doing 30 minute workouts) and I just did it because I wanted to try it even though I didn't expect to be able to do even half the video but I did it ALL with very few breaks and now I'm excited to do the workouts. I've worked out five days this week. Today was yoga/stretch since I'm pretty sore but I think I did 4 ToXT workouts.

I'm still trying to eat better.

Next week my goals are to:
- journal EVERY day (I've been slacking lots lately...)
- take apple cider vinegar every day (been feeling like a bottomless pit lately and last time I took ACV daily it helped with my appetite so hoping it'll do the same this time)
- workout 5 days

My weigh in/measurement day is coming up in a bit and hoping to see good results this time!! I always weigh/measure at the 1st of every month and Feb. 1st I had lost some inches but no weight (was happy with it overall though).

I guess to add, I also need to lose about 20 pounds (I've gained that much in the last two years but still had weight to lose then so I may or may not go for more but I also have more muscle now and would like to build more so I'm taking it as it comes. Planning to start with 10 pounds, reassess, probably 10 more, reassess and see how I feel)
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 06:30 PM
Weekend was iffy with food because a lot of eating out but it was yummy and good times with friends at least.

Today has been great so far! Breakfast was oatmeal with almond milk, almonds, unsweet cocoa, and honey, with a banana and green tea. Lunch was a salad (spinach, beans, tomatoes, onion, corn, tofu, sunflower seeds, vinegar) and brown rice with broccoli and sriracha. Noms. I also did an hour on the elliptical and I'm gonna do abs later.

Yesterday I was wearing a tank top and brushing my hair in the mirror and I noticed my arms look pretty darn good if I do say so myself. I have had noodle arms for basically EVER but they are starting to look good so yay!!
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1970, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 07:11 PM
Edited by Firebird (122430) on 2013-02-25 19:11:54
So last week started off well, but ended up being kind of a mixed bag overall since things didn't go as well later in the week. On the plus side, a lot of it wasn't bad decisions, but rather bad circumstances (i.e. working in the library with my lab group way later than I thought and having to get food there, etc.) Definitely will be more prepared now and bring my own snacks and stuff.

Today's menu:
Spoiler: Show

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with mushrooms and Trader Joe's creamy goat cheese; coffee with half and half

Lunch: 2 slices roast beef and 1 slice turkey with avocado, olives, sugar snap peas, and 1 pack TJ's fruity flakes. Oh, and a mango acai Honest Tea.

Snack: Applegate organic grass-fed hot dog, 2 string cheese, handful of macadamia nuts...and then 1 Trefoil (Girl Scout cookie) from my roommate

Dinner: Green beans, kale, and a pork chop

Snack: Black tea with a little milk and honey; planning to have some blueberries
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Thu Feb 28, 2013 03:39 PM
Oh my gosshhhh guys this week has been TERRIBLE food and fitness wise, the worst so far. It is mostly due to going out Tuesday night because we were being schmoozed by another company and having lots of unhealthy appetizers and drinks. And it's shark week, so yesterday I ate chinese food like it was my job. And oh my gosh I feel so bloated and terrible! I've also only worked out once this week, ick ick ick my body just does not feel good.

But I'm not letting it derail me! I'm hitting the gym tonight and tomorrow and I'll go for a run this weekend, let my body rest and hit next week hard. I may not reach my goal by my goal date, but I keep reminding myself it's an arbitrary number that I set on an arbitrary date, the important thing is that I'm building good habits!
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:11 AM
Definitely hit a rough patch earlier this week. Realized it was all due to drinking. Would like to cut out drinking completely, but it's hard when working in the service industry. Definitely working on keeping it to one day a week because I always end up overeating, mostly because if I have food in my stomach I can usually avoid a hangover so I tend to want a big meal before bed. Ughs.

Things are better today though and I'm easily persevering. Went grocery shopping today. Had a yummy veggie scramble, some nonfat yogurt and an apple aaaand some turkey and avocado. Yum yum. Will probably eat the healthier parts of family meal at work tonight. They always make a bomb salad.

Thinking about taking a yoga class. A little intimidated to be honest but it looks soo good for you.
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1970, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Fri Mar 01, 2013 07:26 PM
^^Oh man, Nienna, we are having some parallel weeks food-wise! Tuesday night I had the Dean's List Dinner at school which I was intially pretty good about (just got the veggies and grilled chicken...I'm sure everything had a lot of butter and whatnot, but I skipped the more obviously unhealthy stuff). Anyway, so that was fine, but then I had more dessert than I really needed to...mostly just because it was there and it was free...and then I felt kind of blah afterwords. And then Wednesday was the start of [i]that[i/] week for me as well, so it just made me crave sugar and carbs and yeahhhh, it wasn't the best.

But yesterday was better, and today has been fine so far as well. The only other thing is that my mom sent me delicious homemade hamantaschen (cookies for Purim) in the mail. Those definitely are a treat that I consider worth having, but I should probably stop eating them so fast, haha...this is why I don't buy myself junk food, for the most part.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Fri Mar 01, 2013 08:23 PM
This week has been so rough, but I'm giving myself 5000 bonus points because last night I didn't want to go to the gym, I could barely work up the energy to even leave my desk at work, and I changed into my gym clothes and went to the gym anyway and did an hour of cardio. THAT was SUCH a huge struggle, seriously, I was feeling so sorry for myself I wanted to cry, but I did it anyway and didn't realize how much anxiety had built up until I had that good long workout as release.

Also, HELLO stamnia! A whole hour on the elliptical? And I WASN'T dead at the end? I'll take that victory, thank you very much.

I think I'm becoming somewhat addicted to living this way, and I'm okay with that.
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six (karma: 1)
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Sun Mar 03, 2013 04:54 PM
Well Thursday and Friday were not the best. Usually when it's that time of the month I can have at least some self control but every once in a while I turn into a raging beast that can only be placated with carbs and chocolate. That would be the last few days...too many baked goods were consumed :P

Yesterday was pretty good. I slept in a ton so I had brunch or something at 11:30 which was a giant salad with tons of veggies and beans and tofu, plus a pancake with chocolate chips, heh. Well it was a whole wheat pancake and dark chocolate so it could have been worse :P But sushi for dinner so that was good.

Plus I ran SEVEN MILES (on the treadmill because it was arctic outside haha) in 67 minutes. Not gonna win any olympic races any time soon but I will take it!! I've never run that far before and the fact that even increasing my distance I can still stay under 10 minute miles is making me happy :)

I'm a good sore today and today's a rest day anyway, but I would like to point out that I have stayed more or less on track with my new years resolution for 2 whole entire months and although there have been rough patches and days that I've slacked, it's overall gone great!! I am on track with all of the fitness goals I had and it's hard to believe I can actually do some of this stuff now but the fact that I've made this much progress already gives me motivation to keep going because I CAN DO THIS!!!
On Mon Mar 04, 2013 05:35 PM
Edited by Firebird (122430) on 2013-03-04 17:36:53
^Nice! 7 miles in 67 minutes on a treadmill no less is amazing!

Weekend was bad. Today is going better...that kind of seems to be my pattern, or that's what I've noticed from posting here. The week starts out well, but when things get more chaotic later in the week, I get derailed. Anyway, today at lunch instead of having some dried fruit-type thing like I usually do, I had a few macadamia nuts instead, and it helped SO much with not feeling crazy hungry later in the afternoon (I have a 2 hour class, then an hour for lunch, and then 4 hours of class in a row, so this is a really good thing!) Definitely will keep that in mind.

Today's menu:
Spoiler: Show

Breakfast: Greek yogurt mixed with cocoa powder, chia seeds, and a little honey (*totally* stole that from this thread), and a chicken apple sausage

Lunch: Turkey slices with avocado, olives, bell pepper, and a handful of macadamia nuts

Snack: The rest of my yogurt from breakfast (couldn't finish before I had to run to class, haha) and a string cheese

Dinner: Kale with a little bacon, cauliflower roasted with curry powder, and cocoa roasted pork tenderloin

Snack (planned); blueberriesss, yum!

Edit - oh, and I haven't had coffee since Thursday, which makes me really proud! I'm sure that won't last long, but I'm happy that I've been able to give my body a little break from the constant caffeine rush and still feel fine.
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:49 AM
Well, after a calorie-fest of a weekend, we start anew this week. Any ideas for low-carb lunches? I know the general answer is "duh. salad." but guys. I hate salads. I try, but I just do. I don't find them delicious and they're very annoying to eat. I am MORE than willing to eat a lot of salad components separately though!
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 05:16 AM
^Nienna, below are some of my standards for lunches. They tend to be higher fat (low carb and low fat is pretty hard to do and still be full/have it taste interesting, I find). The trade-off works for me since I find I stay full with reasonable portion sizes of higher fat/protein food, but just thought I would mention that :)

Things I bring for lunches:

Slices of turkey (I like Applegate) wrapped around slices of avocado

Same as above but with sliced roast beef

Tuna salad made with canned tuna, a little mayo, chopped up celery, salt, pepper, and lemon (or really anything you want)

Deviled eggs with paprika

Those are kind of my "main" dishes, and then a bring a few additional items such as:

Vegetables (I like bell pepper, cucumber, sugar snap peas, and carrots, personally)

Sometimes I bring almond butter or guacamole to dip vegetables in

Olives
Nuts
Dried fruit (the sugar content can add up quickly, though)
Jerky

Anyway, those are kind of my stand-bys - hope that helps! I'll let you know if I remember anything else I like to bring.
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 08:30 AM
Realizing how much of a long and intense process losing weight is. There are many setbacks and hard moments. Sometimes leaving old habits is really painful. I managed to do pretty well this weekend, but slot of negativity and doubt was coming up mentally.

Loving veggie stir fries right now. Yuuuum.

Oh and the worst thing ever is being unexpectedly hungry right before bed! I wanna eat but I really don't actually wanna eat. Blahh
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 03:39 PM
For low-carb lunches any veggie+a protein is good! For the veggie part, rozen veggies are perfect because you can steam them easily in the microwave and then throw some salsa/ sriracha or other pepper sauce/ curry powder/ basically any spices to make them taste more interesting. Raw veggies with balsamic vinegar or hummus are great too. For protein, other than chicken, fish, tofu, etc. some beans (kidney beans and chickpeas are my favorite) or nuts/ seeds are good. I like the combo of kidney beans, kalamata olives, and sunflower seeds. With a bunch of green veggies on the side that's a good lunch that keeps me full!

LeSoulierVert I'm a little conflicted about the eating before bed thing. I know everyone says you shouldn't eat right before bed because your metabolism slows down but my problem is, if I'm hungry before bed, chances are I'll wake up in the middle of the night STARVING and then not be able to fall back asleep! So I'll have a piece of fruit or something else small right before I go to bed if I'm hungry.

Today was a great morning. I love my Tuesday routine :) I get up early and go to the gym and do the elliptical for 30 minutes and then go back to my dorm and do crunches, wall-sits, push-ups, and dips, and shower/ get ready in between reps. I looooove the feeling of having already had a good full-body workout before I even have my first class!

Also I am having a realization about food. I think it's funny when people say if you're working out a lot, you can eat whatever you want. But it's soooo the opposite. The more you work out, the better you have to eat (and the better you want to eat) to sustain yourself. I mean, by the end of this week I will have run about 16.5 miles, plus I will have done an hour and a half of cross-training on the elliptical, and a lot of strength stuff, not to mention walking about 2 miles every day just getting around my campus. So that's a fair amount of calories burned. I could get away with eating a lot of crap and not gain weight. BUT not gaining weight =/= healthy necessarily. If I put crap into my body, I'm not going to have the energy I need for my long runs or for planking as long as I want to, etc. etc. So although I don't want to or need to feel guilty about the occasional treat, I WANT to eat well overall because it will help me perform better!! Focusing on performance/ health instead of numbers has made my relationship with food SO much healthier and I'm really happy about that.
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 05:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions girls! I ended up buying some veggie patties! I love veggie burgers and they're a great protein payoff.

DJChara, I SOOO agree with you. When I'm working out, I don't WANT the junk. I want lean, whole foods! If I go to the gym and then go and eat fast food after, I'm going to feel like a garbage truck, which is not going to inspire me to work out more.

LeSoulierVent, it IS a hard process. I think if it wasn't, more people would do it. :P But it is rewarding, and I actually love getting back to it after my setbacks. I don't think it's a smooth road for anybody, but being able to sort of get yourself back to where you need to be in your habits is rewarding and inspiring in itself.

Feeling strong again girls. Ate well yesterday, went to the gym, more good eats today, more gym time. Dinner out with a friend tomorrow night so I'm going to keep my calories light during the day and try to get a gym trip in in the morning. I'm not expecting to lose any weight this week after my bad eating habits over the weekend, but at least I'm back on the right path!
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 06:06 PM
Hello ladies. Well, I'm up 4 pounds since you last heard from me. Oh eating habits, how quickly you slip away.

Today I got Starbucks. But for lunch I'm having grilled chicken and corn. Probably something light for dinner. I'm back. Again. Lol.
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 06:08 PM
^But you were down 20! Still a defecit, heyyo! Even if you gained back 50, you're back, and that's what matters, because we missed you, and you're awesome. <3
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 06:19 PM
True! And Nienna, if you missed this on my FB, this is for you.
Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/480328_387214408043335_633736180_n.jpg'
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 06:53 PM
Glad you're back! I was wondering where ya went :)

Had to be up way earlier than normal. Had a pear, two teeny mandarins aaaand a veggie scramble.

Probably going out to lunch with my dad and I'm staaaarrrvvvedddd right now.

Long day that is hopefully going to end with some dancing! It's 90s ladies night at this Cuban dance club. Nothing like moving your body to some sweet jams to burn those cals.
On Thu Mar 07, 2013 02:35 PM
Edited by djchara (219250) on 2013-03-07 14:37:24
Welllll yesterday we had 8 or 10 inches of snow and only a few buildings with power at my college so I had a very fun snow day :) Unfortunately that also meant no run, and the gym was closed, and there was not a whole lot to eat in the dining halls that wasn't some sort of carb :P So not the best food/ workout day although I did do abs in my room and did my best with the food situation haha. And I wasn't going to run Friday so I'll do my Wednesday run then. Soooo it's all good.

Today has been a great day! Slept in, got whole wheat toast, 2 hardboiled eggs, tomato and steamed spinach, a little plain yogurt with honey, and a banana for breakfast from the dining hall. There's still a ton of snow outside so I did 6 miles on the treadmill (54:30, I'll take it!) and then my friend Tess and I did some ab stuff and stretched in one of the studios in the gym. I'm gonna do wall-sit and crunches later too. For lunch I got a ton of steamed veggies and some grilled chicken, plus a spinach salad with lots of veggies and kidney beans and sunflower seeds. Yum. I think I'm going out to this amazing mediterranean place tonight with friends, so I'll probably have something healthy and wonderful involving hummus, yay!

Someone asked me if I was on a sports team here today while I was walking to the gym. I have no idea who they were or why they asked but yaaaaay I look athletic to someone!
By yvonne131321member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 47, member since Thu Jan 03, 2013
On Fri Mar 08, 2013 05:20 PM
my weeks have not been so great i have been confined to eating hospital food. since we are not in the part of nursing school where we are just always there
On Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40 PM
So I'm home on break now which basically means my food goal is not eating everything in the house. Kidding but not kidding. There's so much good food around and it's free and oh my goodness I JUST WANT IT ALLLLL. So yes, there's that haha.

Friday was good. Good food, did my run that I didn't get to do Wednesday (3 miles on the treadmill) but my big exciting thing is that I finally threw out my scale. I decided to weigh myself on a whim out of curiosity for the first time in months and I have gained like 3 pounds since last time I checked and whether that's muscle or water weight or the fact that I didn't weigh myself first thing in the morning I don't freaking CARE because I'm in the best shape I've been in my life and my clothes are getting loose and I eat a lot of healthy stuff and I have no need to lose weight anyway and most importantly I really am starting to loooove how I look.

So I finally just decided that some contraption made of glass and metal is going to dictate what I think of myself and into the trash it went. For those of you whose goal is to lose weight as a part of getting healthy, more power to you and I am really impressed to see how much progress you've made so far, but for me, that's not my goal and I'm glad I got rid of the scale because there's no reason to make it my goal. I have struggled with eating/ body image problems in the past and throwing that awful thing out was so symbolic. I probably will never be "thin" but I'm healthy and fit and happy and that's what matters.Yay :)

Yesterday was supposed to be running, but I went to dance with the hard teacher and decided my legs would probably just pop off if I did her class and a long run in the same day. So I did 7.5 miles today and it's beautiful outside and it was just perfect. Forgot to time myself properly but I know I was less than an hour and 15 so I'm happy with that!
On Mon Mar 11, 2013 01:48 PM
^Good for you! It must feel really great to just decide the scale is not for you and throw it out.

I'm down another 2 pounds! I was really surprised because the last few weeks have been roller-coastery for me, so I really wasn't expecting to see any change until this week. But that was really exciting to see, and super encouraging.
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:52 AM
"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming."

Back on it today. Oy. Serious rollercoaster vibes.
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 PM
^That's been my last 4 weeks.

Eeeesshhh lack of sleep makes it hard to work out. I did a good arm workout and a decent ab workout, but cardio was just completely out. I'm so sleep deprived. :-\
On Thu Mar 14, 2013 06:53 PM
I'm determined to keep this thread going. Aaaand I'm even more determined to keep my healthy eating going. Did very well the past 3 days. Looking to be a solid day again.

I got up and meditated today which I haven't done in a while. Had some weird stressful dreams so I wanted to clear my mood. About to eat some apple and yogurt and maybe some eggs too. I'm reeeeaslllyyy hungry.

I notice that if I'm really good for 3-4 days in a row I start to mercilessly crave treats. Trying to find the balance between not depriving myself and not sabotaging either. Tricky tricky.
Page:
Page 8 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch