Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 9 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: Two Hundred Ninety-six
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Thu Mar 14, 2013 07:12 PM
^My trick is no more than 100 calories worth of treats per day. so if I'm craving a treat, I let myself have it, but only up to 100 calories worth. it really works for me because I don't feel deprived but I don't gorge myself either

I just upgraded my gym membership to the regional membership, which means I can go to the gym nearer to my house as well as my usual gym, which is right next door to my work.

You and me LeSoulier! :D
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:57 PM
I'm here I'm here! :)

Workout-wise this week has been great! I have been staying on top of my regular gym stuff/ running/ etc. plus a LOT of dancing since I dance more when I'm home anyway, plus it's St. Patrick's day/ week so lots of Irish dance stuff. I had an hour and a half class on Saturday, 2 and a half hours on Monday, an hour and a half tomorrow (all with the hard teacher which makes a difference haha) and then 2 performances today, 2 this coming Saturday, and I'm dancing in a St. Patrick's day parade sunday. Wooo. Hopefully I'll manage my 8 miles on Saturday--I know I'm gonna be tired big time but I really want to know I can do it. I did do my 3 yesterday and my 6 today and it makes me so happy now that 3 is easy peasy and 6 is a solid workout but I think still easier than 3 was at the beginning of the year :) I'm gonna take Monday and/ or Tuesday (usually my elliptical days) off next week though I think because I don't want to not run but with all the dance stuff my usual days off have been taken.

Food-wise ehhh. It's being home that's the problem. It's not that my mom's food is so unhealthy, but it's heavy on the carbs, especially a lot of white carbs which I really just don't eat anymore, plus even though there aren't chips and cheetos and stuff like that, there's still a lot of processed crackers and other snack stuff which I don't keep around at school either. I've kind of gotten into the habit (good habit!) of only eating things that do something good for me, and without even really meaning to I haven't eaten things like white rice, pasta, crackers, bread that isn't 100% whole grain, etc. in months other than coming home. Like if I'm gonna have a treat, that's one thing, but something like white rice isn't worth eating for me. Plus I've been eating SO MANY VEGGIES at school and coming back to meals where the veggies go in something or on top of something or are a little salad on the side is throwing me off! My body looooves what I feed it at school and even though what I'm eating right now isn't even really bad it's not happy. I just feel kinda bleeehhh.

Like today, my mom made lemon scones for breakfast, and they're amazing of course, but there's no protein or fiber or anything in there to keep me full and give me energy. I eat really big breakfasts normally but I wouldn't want to eat something like a scone--there's no nutrients in there! That's dessert! But I didn't want to be rude so I ate them. Annnnd I felt gross. Lunch was homemade chicken tomato curry (good!) but with white rice. She asked what I wanted for dinner so I said brown rice and steamed broccoli so thank goodness for that. That's basically how the week has been. Not awful, just not as great as it could be.

I'm starting to see how I never really loved exercising before though. Because already this week I've felt myself slipping back into the mentality of working out to burn off the food instead of eating to fuel my workouts, which may not seem like a big difference but to me it definitely matters and changes how I look at things. I feel like it's weird to be home from college and want to go back for healthy food but anyway haha.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Mar 17, 2013 01:33 AM
Well I've been a very naughty little monkey with my food habits and exercise for several weeks, but I am sicker than a dog right now, so I've had an unexpected cleanse for about 12 hours. Getting back on track eating the right foods and cutting out added sugar, wheat etc. will be a lot easier now as I'm slowly adding things in.

Anyone try any new recipes lately?
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Mar 18, 2013 05:06 PM
Okay, I think my mental frame of mind has recovered enough to get back into the groove. I weighed myself this morning and I'm at, wait, what was the scale I was using? Hang on. Okies, XW2.0, so not too bad. For all the time I've been off and all the bad things I ate, I've maintained pretty well. So that means that it's time to get my butt back in gear and drop another 10-15 pounds and then spend a few weeks doing maintenance. So tonight, I run and hopefully sleep.

Here's today so far:

Smoothie for breakfast - Greek yogurt, chocolate almond milk, frozen cherries, frozen banana, instant espresso

Lunch will be a peanut butter (with added flax oil) and lemmon-fig preserve sandwich on 12 grain bread with a strawberry Greek yogurt.

Snack will be a small orange.

Dinner might be grilled chicken breasts with asparagus. That sounds really good. With a salad. And then I'll go run before bed and hopefully be tired enough to *sleep* tonight. This is a good day.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Mon Mar 18, 2013 05:59 PM
^How do you cook your asparagus? I really like it but I have no idea how to cook it.

My new recipe idea is breakfast muffins, or breakfast sammies, that can be frozen and popped in the microwave to reheat in the morning. I'm thinking of baking eggs in a casserole dish with turkey bacon, veggies, wahtever add-ins, then cutting them into squares, plopping them in between two halves of an english muffin and freezing. OR, like someone just posted on my diary, breakfast muffins made of egg, meat, veggies, and cheese. They look amazing. I love my oatmeal for breakfast, but I'd really like to be getting more protein and less sugars to start my day.

Last week was a bit of a bust, but I just need to refocus. I'm still heading in the right direction, even though it's been more of a meandering path than a straight run.
On Mon Mar 18, 2013 06:16 PM
^ Olive oil, lemon juice, kosher salt and cracked black pepper on the grill. Or if I'm doing it stove top, I'll toss them in a sweet/spicy (orange juice and red pepper flakes are really good) sauce and cook til tender. I prefer them grilled though and you only need enough olive oil to lightly coat.
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Mon Mar 18, 2013 09:05 PM
Eating was all over the place this weekend. Didn't really overeat but I definitely didn't eat well.

Back to it again today. Went for a run and am gonna make myself a scramble after I finish this post.

I really wanna figure out a way to keep my weekends more stable. It is really difficult because I work long shifts on Friday and Saturday and have lots of crap and alcohol available to me (restaurant/bar) after I finish. Sooo yeah. Trying to figure that one out.

Hoping to run like 3 days a week if I can manage it. Makes me feel great and my body responds really well to cardio weight loss wise.

Good luck guys. Glad we're still doing it.
On Tue Mar 19, 2013 06:08 PM
So I didn't run, I was just too darn tired! Probably won't tonight either because this is a long day, I won't be home til nearly 9pm. I didn't end up eating my orange or dinner last night. I did however have a big thing of coffee and a shot of whiskey in some sweet tea, so I'm pretty sure I got my caloric intake. :P I did make the chicken and asparagus though, and am having that shortly for lunch.

Breakfast was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with hot coffee. Lunch will be a chicken breast with grilled asparagus. Snack is more coffee. Later snack/dinner will be lemon Greek yogurt and the orange.

I've discovered I can't do the almond milk thing for my coffee. It doesn't fill my need and I end up getting Starbucks and defeating the whole purpose. So I got this in chocolate and vanilla and it's pretty good: naturalbliss.coffee-mate.com I don't feel so bad about using like a 1/4C in my big ole iced coffee now. However, I'm not a big mocha fan because if I'm drinking chocolate milk I want chocolate milk and if I'm drinking coffee I want coffee and this is more like watered down chocolate milk. Meh, it'll do for now. <3
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 01:25 AM
Yay I'm back at school away from the house full amazing food haha.

Monday I took the day off from working out because I had a long St. Patrick's week with dance. Yesterday and today were both good food-wise and workout-wise. Today I practiced dance in the first time in a while too in addition to running and that was really nice. And I went to the grocery store and stocked back up on fruits and veggies and healthy breakfasts.

Another good way to do asparagus is with olive oil and a little salt (lemon and/ or garlic too if you want) under the broiler till the ends are crispy. So so soooo good.
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 07:58 PM
Realizing that being hard on myself doesn't make for more progress. All I can do is move forward and do as wellas I can.

Eating has been a bit up and down this week. My days have been good but going out to eat for dinner has stalled my progress.

Eating some cashew carrot ginger soup from pacific foods right now. It is sooooo good. And really healthy. Yum.
On Fri Mar 22, 2013 07:06 PM
The Chobani bite coffee with dark chocolate Greek yogurt is win. I give it the Sumayah seal of approval.
On Fri Mar 22, 2013 09:12 PM
^I'm pretty sure my sister lives off of those. I tried them for the first time when I was home over break and YUM. The raspberry chocolate ones are pretty great too.
On Tue Mar 26, 2013 01:29 PM
I wish I liked greek yogurt! The texture and slightly cheese-y taste are too offputting for me unfortunately.

Slowly getting back onto the horse. I've kept up with working out, but food as slipped a little bit. It's been a busy, exhausting, and emotional few weeks though, and I remain proud of my progress, even if it HAS slowed.
On Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 PM
How's it going ladies?

I'm still at it! Still at it. Decided to cut out drinking for the next few months at least to stabilize my eating/life in general as it seems to be the main source of my rollercoaster times.

Started doing high intensity interval training and that seems to be the key to keeping exercise a part of my day. It's quick and repetitive not too hard on my feet but also excellent for fat burning. Didn't do it today because I am crazy sore from yesterday and I have to work tonight but ill totally be on it tomorrow. No doubts. I actually love working out and I've cleared enough space and time to be able to keep this up.

Two and a half months til summer! We got this.
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:37 PM
The scale told me yesterday I've been seriously slacking, so I'm upping my workouts and getting re-obsessed. I need it!

Currently looking at low calorie ways to make delicious food. I found a low-cal potato salad that looks delicious!
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 04:48 PM
Seriously slacking here too. I've been in a major apathetic state and haven't been able to shake it. What's worse is I know that if I just go outside and run again and I take the time to eat really healthy, I will feel better. I just don't care enough. But I bought a boat load of yogurt yesterday and I'm determined to eat 2 a day. I haven't been eating horribly, I'm not eating out all the time or just eating crap, I just haven't been been eating as well as I should be. For instance I made chicken salad - I grilled chicken breasts and hard boiled (successfully!) eggs and mixed it with a base of Greek yogurt and added a dill/mustard sauce to it and have eaten that with crackers. I grilled tuna steaks with asparagus and nice mixed salad. So it's not bad, but I'm not counting calories. But the worst is I'm not exercising. I will do it tonight. I will. I will. I will. I hope.
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1970, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 07:03 PM
Add me to the seriously slacking group....life (college, specifically) just keeps getting in the way. Exercise actually has been decent, but eating is a total mess right now...
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 04:32 AM
Trying to push myself harder this week. Did my HIIT work out and ate well today. Going to work out hard tomorrow and go grocery shopping for some yummy healthy stuff.

My main thing is just accepting where I'm at and trying to push myself as much as I can before I rebel and derail. The not drinking thing is making everything much more consistent.

I can't believe it's already April. Two and a half months until summer. THAT motivates me.
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 01:30 PM
^Wow that IS a motivating thought!

I'm back on the wagon as well. Did a 45 minute jog yesterday with boy and made us a really healthy dinner of chicken breasts stewed in tomatoes and spices, brown rice and corn. I keep getting derailed with eating on the weekends, but I DO stay pretty good during the week, so I'm trying to keep it up. I'm also going to Puerto Rico this summer and I keep telling myself that nothing in the states will taste as good as what I can get to eat in Puerto Rico, so the goal currently is to stay good and keep working out, and then gain 5 pounds in Puerto Rico by eating. all. the. things.
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 08:53 PM
^Hahaha I'm going to Mexico this summer and I basically have the same feeling. Like, there's no way I can come back from there having not put on some weight but whatevs because it's the best food ever.

I'm doing well! This past week has been somewhere between taking it easy with workouts to give my shins and knees a rest and just not having time because of school stuff. So not a huge amount this week, but I'm gonna go on a long run tomorrow so that will be good.

I have been doing well with the food and everything's just good :)

I have this shirt that I bought awhile ago that's from Burberry so I really love it and wanted to wear it, but I bought it as a size small without trying it on and then when I put it on it was definitely tighter than I liked it...like it's basically a t-shirt so it's supposed to be tight but I have a thing about shirts that are tight around the stomach. So I've worn it once or twice with a high-waisted skirt but never just normal. But over the weekend I wore it with jeans and not only do I like my stomach enough now that I don't really care if shirts are tight, but it was loose! So anyway, not a really big deal but that made me happy :)
On Sun Apr 07, 2013 03:51 AM
Noooo this thread can't die :(

I just wanted to pop in here and be super proud of the fact that on Thursday I ran 6 miles in under 54 minutes which is the fastest I've ever done it, and also that today I ran NINE AND A HALF MILES :D :D And it was definitely a hard workout but I also definitely wasn't dying. That's more than triple what I could run at the beginning of this year. I almost want to cry for joy about that. 10 miles next week :) I love running so much.

Food is gooooood too.
On Mon Apr 08, 2013 05:09 PM
I'm so proud of you!

I booked my trip to Puerto Rico and I'm hoping to drop some more weight before I go. It's also springtime, so I want to be in dresses! My calves and arms are looking nicer, I'm not loving my thighs at the moment but I am loving my stamina and strength so I'm trying to just be okay with it all.

Eating during the week goes great, it kind of goes out the window a little on weekends, but I think I did alright this past weekend. I cleaned for several hours on Saturday and walked lots of miles carrying a heavy backpack on Sunday so while I didn't get an actual workout in, I'm not feeling too bad about all of that.

Today back to the gym I go. I really need to get a new pair of running shoes, because it's absolutely glorious out and while I'm not a great runner (issues with me knee), it's just too beautiful not to be enjoying outside.

I need to up my strength training. I do it most everytime I work-out, but I haven't been feeling sore. What do you think ladies? My boyfriend says his old rugby coach said you need to feel soreness after you strength train and that means you've pushed yourself enough, but I've read online that as long as you're feeling a good fatigue towards the end of your workout, you're fine, and soreness isn't necessarily an indicator of a good strengthening workout. It doesn't help that I can't help but get a little self-conscious at the gym, though I need to swiftly get over it.
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 01:08 PM
Thread isn't dying, I'm just. I was going to post this on the anon forum, but it's not like I have a distinctive writing style of anything... I think I'm depressed. Really, truly depressed. The apathy and sadness in my brain is so constant, I just can't keep it up. I *know* exercise would help. I *know* eating better would help. Going to the doctor isn't possible at this time - I don't have insurance and can't afford the office visit, let alone a monthly medication bill. But I don't know how to get started, I don't know how to push past this melancholy and just do what I need to do to make it better. I know I'm not alone in this, I know a lot of y'all have dealt with these same uncaring shadowy fingers wrapping around your brain, clouding it, how do I get started? Please, give me anything, anything at all. I'm just at a loss. Starting my morning off crying is always a bad sign. I know going to the doctor would be the easiest and most direct route, but seriously I don't have $100+ lying around - what do you do to motivate yourself, to get to the gym or make better decisions. I can manage this melancholy, I just have to take the first step but where, how do I do it?
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 04:11 PM
Oh my goodness, hugs for you :( I think one of the best things you can do to get the ball rolling is to get an exercise buddy--someone to go to the gym with/ go on runs or long walks with/ even just to come over and do some crunches and make a smoothie or something. Because I definitely agree that eating better and exercising more will help a whole lot but I also definitely understand that it's very VERY hard to get that started on your own sometimes.

Maybe just text a friend and ask if they want to go to a yoga class with you or carpool somewhere and go hiking together or something. Having a commitment to go with someone, for me at least, makes me much more likely to go even if I'm really not feeling up to it. And i'm always happy afterward that I did, and it also makes it easier to go the next time.

Another motivation which I never realized before but I think I am starting to realize now is that kinds of exercise where you can push yourself and see the most noticeable improvement, if you do stick out the beginning when you're getting used to it, get fun after awhile. It does take time which makes it hard but the more you care, the more fun it will be. The reason I said exercise where you can push yourself is that for a long time my main workout was the elliptical and I was miserable and I hated it. I mean sure you can make yourself do it for a longer time or whatever, but it's not the same as running, which is my main workout now, where I can be like yes I've increased my distance and I'm getting faster, and if I keep adding this much to my distance per week I'll be able to run this far in a month, wow, and hmm let me see if I can push this last mile and drop my time, etc. Likewise when I only ever ran the same distance and I was running because I felt like I should work out, I HATED running. So I really think picking a kind of exercise (not that it should be your only thing and that you shouldn't vary your workouts of course, but something to really work on) and deciding to get really GOOD at it and making a concrete plan of how you'll get there (instead of just doing it because you feel like you should) helps SO much with motivation. To use my running example, for the first time in my life, I am running because it's something I enjoy, and if I miss a run, I feel bad because I missed something I love and I want to be able to keep improving, instead of feeling guilty which I did before.

I'm not sure if that all made any sense :P

Hugs again :) Go back and read this thread too because it definitely shows that you're capable of SO much which can also be really motivating. You can get through this--it's going to be hard but it's definitely doable and it will be so worth it.
By leogirlPremium member Comments: 637, member since Thu Aug 15, 2002
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 07:14 PM
Sumayah,

Here are a few ideas. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, so be cautious and use your own judgement here. I've been depressed since the birth of my daughter, nearly two years now. It got super bad about two months ago so I started taking Tryptophan. I'm not great on remembering exact details, but Tryptophan is used to help boost serotonin levels in the brain. You can buy it over the counter (I got mine on amazon.com), and it's relatively inexpensive. I began with a very low dose to make sure I wouldn't sprout gills or anything, then worked up to a medium one. It helped, quite a bit. It wasn't all roses and sunshine, but it loosened the sadness and anger I was wrapped up in, and helped me feel hopeful for the first time in awhile.

That said, it sorta lost it's effectiveness about two weeks ago. I'm now working with a Naturopathic Doctor, and she is switching me to 5-htp, which to my understanding has the same ultimate effect that Tryptophan does, but according to my doc it passes through the blood/brain barrier more easily, and has better long term effectiveness. I started that today, and I can let you know how it goes. She also put me on something called GABA, which is also over the counter and fairly inexpensive. She put me on GABA to help with my anxiety and sleep issues.

Everything I've mentioned you can get on amazon.com. For the 5-htp, my doc has me on the Vital Nutrients brand.

Again, use caution here, these may not be prescription strength drugs but they still create change. And please know I am giving you a big hug right now. I know what it's like to live hopelessly, to wake up each day and wonder how on earth you'll make it through without breaking down. If I can feel better, so can you. And you will feel better.
Page:
Page 9 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch