Forum: Irish / Irish - Technique & Training

Getting higher clicks.
By trebletreble
On Sun Nov 11, 2012 02:09 PM

So, I'm not sure how to describe it, but here goes:
When you do your click and your leg comes up towards your head after it. What kind of exercises can I do to help get my leg higher?
Thank you!

9 Replies to Getting higher clicks.

re: Getting higher clicks.
By EamesDancer
On Sun Nov 11, 2012 05:22 PM
I think I know what you're saying. It's the leg you are "jumping" off of, then following through, correct?
What I think of first would just be touching your toes/other hamstring stretches, and splits.

Good luck!!
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 11, 2012 07:20 PM
I agree on that what EamesDancer said. Stretch,stretch,stretch. That's the best way how you get more flexible and your " kicking leg" higher :)
By trebletreble
On Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm already pretty flexible, but I guess I'll just work on it even more.
Thanks for your help!
By emmiei
On Mon Nov 12, 2012 04:05 PM
Getting higher clicks doesn't all come from flexibility. Your core needs to have lots of strength to actually lift off the ground. I suggest doing crunches and sit-ups for this. It really helps!
By trebletreble
On Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:29 AM
That sounds about right... I have hardly any abdominal strength whatsoever! Thanks a lot :)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:08 AM
To get a higher follow-through, make sure the clicking point itself isn't too high. It's harder to get the following leg up to your nose if your heels didn't meet until they were at your waist - go lower on the click to get higher on the kick. About knee level usually does the trick.
By monkeybiz329member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:20 PM
If you're already flexible, your core and hip flexors probably need some work. Emmiei already gave suggestions for core, but here's a good resource for strengthening your hip flexors:

www.runnersworld.com . . .

They're simple exercises that only require a resistance band. If you want some more, a simple google search for "hip flexor strengthening exercises" will do the trick. I hope that helps!
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 05:31 PM
I find that the hip muscles are sometimes to blame when your clicks aren't high. We try so hard to get our leg up that our body enthusiastically responds by clenching all the muscles it can. This puts a chokehold on your femur and essentially blocks your leg from lifting beyond a certain habitual point.

Example: make one hand into a fist. Gently cover your fist with your other hand. Turn and rotate your fist and note how it slides around in your other hand easily. Now grip your fist with the covering hand. Rotation becomes impossible. Your fist is the top of the femur and your outside hand is the system of muscles and ligaments that hold your leg in socket.

Point? If you can concentrate on relaxing your hip muscles as your clicking leg (or standing kick in any dance) comes up, it will be free to extend to your range of flexibility!

Try it, let me know if you feel a difference!
By hornpiper98
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 09:08 PM
For me, what helps is when I take my last step where I step into my click, I use that step to bring my first leg up. Instead of stepping and then lifting my leg, I lift my leg at the same time as my last step before the click. This way I have more time to bring my second leg up, so I usually get them higher. Trust me, it doesn't sound like it would help but it makes a huge difference. Oh, and also try to do more dynamic stretching instead of static stretching. Dynamic stretching is like kicks and lunges, i.e. stretches that involve movement, and static stretches are just holding a pose. Just doing a couple kicks across the room before you dance will help you get those clicks over your head :)

ReplySendWatch