Popular Teachers

snow lighting on back curtain by phoebemae
Hello, I'm looking for something that will give the appearance of falling snow on the back curtain...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
age 14 and want to start my FIRST ballet class en>fr fr>en
By BuZzYbEe2468 Comments: 1, member since Thu Nov 15, 2012
On Thu Nov 15, 2012 09:05 AM
Moved to Ballet - Beginners by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-12-22 08:01:05 better forum for your question

Hey sorry I need some info on my first ballet class I am not flexible at all and I was wondering if I would be able to do ballet if I start on the beginning of February next year? Any helpful answers please..... Posted 15 November 2012 6:05pm Thursday...

11 Replies to age 14 and want to start my FIRST ballet class

re: age 14 and want to start my FIRST ballet class en>fr fr>en
By balletgirl4ever Comments: 535, member since Tue Jul 31, 2012
On Thu Nov 15, 2012 04:48 PM
Hey, you don't have to be flexible to do ballet for fun. If you want to be a professional thats a different story, but maybe do some gentle stretching before Feburary if your worried about flexibilty. It certainly helps in ballet a lot. They have tons of dance stretching routines on YouTube you can copy and look at if you don't know what to do.

Well you can definitely start ballet in Feburary and I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Do you want to know what will happen in the class or will you be able for it?

If you get a class at the right level for you (I assume your a complete beginner) it should be fine. You will have to work hard to catch up with the rest of your class, be prepared for that. I started late too, at 15. I practiced at home most days of the week and caught up quickly.

Ballet is the best thing ever and now I can't imagine life without it! Its so worth starting, even if you are 14. You'llk have so much fun, make lots of friends and learn ballet obviously My advice is to start and try it out for a month or two. If you don't like it, find a different form of dance, but if you love it, keep going. You'll never know what you're missing until you try. I'm sure you'll do great. Keep us posted on how your first class went. :)

P.S. this is posted in the wrong section (see the ballet - beginners board) and also you do not need to put the time posted on the message, it comes up automatically.:)
By Ogracem77 Comments: 17, member since Sun Nov 18, 2012
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 07:27 AM
I started this June with ballet classes, and since then I have added tap, jazz, and lyrical. My ballet teacher even thinks I could get on pointe next June!! I walked into class being completely un-flexible, but I was determined as now I have all of my splits and I can do leg lifts, etc. this comment is just to show that as long as you work hard and you are determined, you can do absurdly ANYTHING. Good luck and live, love, and DANCE!!
By KODancer94 Comments: 268, member since Thu Sep 22, 2011
On Wed Dec 05, 2012 04:38 PM
If you're looking to dance just for fun, nothing should hold you back. I would start stretching now though. You may find yourself a little behind since it will be the middle of the year, but you can catch up easily if you work hard enough :) Ballet is fun, but a lot of work. You really have to be passionate about it. It can be really frustrating sometimes, but never give up!
By SoClassy Comments: 310, member since Mon Dec 03, 2012
On Wed Dec 05, 2012 05:18 PM
Ditto to the above comments, ballet is FUN! Being flexible won't make you a dancer automatically, but when you get more advanced you have to be flexible. If you start stretching now (make sure you are warm) you will be noticeably looser by February.

Are you asking for info on how the class will work, or what to wear, or just the flexibility?

Have fun! Dancing is such a rewarding experience. If it is your ting, stick with it and don't ever let anyone bring you down!
By Lightsyouonfire Comments: 24, member since Sun Oct 28, 2012
On Fri Dec 21, 2012 07:49 AM
Anyone can dance! That's the very best part. I think you should try it out. You will only gain flexibility, balance and strength the longer you are practicing. Only good can come of it. :)

Best of luck!
By amsie Comments: 36, member since Sun Nov 25, 2012
On Sat Dec 22, 2012 02:55 PM
Wrong section :P
Regardless.. of course you would be! It's all a learning process. Everyone starts somewhere, so take it easy and, well, enjoy yourself! Having ballet in one's life in one's teen years, I dare say, is the best thing ever.
Work hard and good luck in all your ballet endeavours!
By balletomane0606 Comments: 175, member since Mon Dec 03, 2012
On Fri Jan 04, 2013 01:58 PM
No worries. Ballet is something for everyone to enjoy, whether you're good, flexible or pre-pro (or not). I'm 12, pretty bad and stiff. However, don't let yourself be overcome by what you see in others you can't get. You have strengths. You could be strong- the most flexible in my class is the weakest- or the most technique-proficient,or most dedicated. Practise will get you anywhere you want, and you should be proud for trying. Don't take discouraging comments to heart. Practise, stretch, make a list, listen to music, watch videos- whatever flows. Treat it as constructive criticism. Not too helpful, but good luck. You'll do great- I have confidence in you :).Start with simple stretches, BTW- don't go to the splits without warmup. <3
By cthompson1474member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 305, member since Sat May 19, 2012
On Fri Jan 04, 2013 08:34 PM
I started at 14, it has been almost 8 years and I am teaching now and went on pointe a few months ago. You're never too old to try new things!

I won't lie to you it was difficult at first, I compared myself to other students a lot. I started by dancing one day a week and fell in love with it, eventually I took every possible class until I was in 4 classes 5 days a week along with private lessons. I think I went for the extreme route but I did it because it made me happy.

The only advice I can give:

Don't be intimidated by those who say they started at age 2 or 3. You can catch up, you just have to work for it.

Don't compare yourself.

Do your best in class, and take as many as possible (assuming that is what you want to do!)
By Sevddy Comments: 1, member since Mon Feb 04, 2013
On Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:26 PM
Well, I have a good friend who started at 2. And is now 11 and is in per-professional and she's not flexible at all! So don't worry! P.S. your never to old to dance
By pointshoe16 Comments: 155, member since Fri Apr 13, 2012
On Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:19 AM
Hey, BuZyBeE-www.teenballet.blogspot.com is a great site for teen beginners. She posts all the time and is very fun!

Secondly, dream2dodance.blogspot.com is great for normal ballet, but occasionally there will be a post for beginners... great though...

Hope i helped!
By justgottadance93 Comments: 12, member since Sun Jun 10, 2012
On Tue Feb 26, 2013 01:05 AM
Hello!

You don't have to be flexible or have any prior knowledge if you're just starting out in beginners classes! That's what the teachers are there for- to help you learn and improve. Just go in with an open mind- willing to learn and try new things!

Enjoy!

ReplySendWatch