Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Pas De Deux
Help with finding easy partnering exercises for a non-dancer-boy
By DanceAndLetGo Comments: 19, member since Wed Aug 08, 2012
On Sat Nov 17, 2012 06:57 PM

Hi everybody!

I'm going to do a danceproject in my school, and the director of our performance asked me to do a solo, with a little bit partnering. The boy is however not at all experienced in dancing, so I was wondering: Is there any easy partnering steps, which will look good?
I was thinking about normal pirouettes from 4th, arabesque promenade, or maybe a fish dive (it he's able to lift me).

But do you gays have any ideas or advices? :)

Thank you!
Keep on dancing!

16 Replies to Help with finding easy partnering exercises for a non-dancer-boy

re: Help with finding easy partnering exercises for a non-dancer-boy (karma: 1)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:54 AM
Please check and correct your spelling.
re: Help with finding easy partnering exercises for a non-dancer-boy
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 02:49 PM
Supported pirouettes are the first thing to try.
By funkiejmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1490, member since Mon Sep 09, 2002
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 03:56 PM
be careful!!!! if he doesn't know what he's doing, you could both get really hurt!!

is he taking classes? As previously suggested, go with supported pirouettes, promenades en attitude devant, seconde efface, arabesque , etc. I would nix the fish unless he's super duper crazy strong and you are comfortable and maybe stop lifts at supported jumps. :)
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 04:09 PM
She hasn't said how strong he is. But the fish requires very little strength, it is probably the safest of the lifts.

What is seconde efface?

Also about promenades: he should be holding your hip bones, not your hands. Holding hands is much harder.

But in the end... partnering and dancing are almost two completely different skills. I've seen men with little or no dancing experience who were great partners, and I've seen experienced dancers who can't partner worth a darn.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 04:36 PM
He might not have done any partnering himself but how much double work have you done? If it's the blind leading the blind then it could prove to be a bit of an unfair challenge.
By balletboyrhysmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 489, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 05:44 PM
Guy dancer here giving my two cents!

Fish dives, good. Requires little strength and not much technique. Also consider straight up and down lifts like sous sous entrechat six, italian changement, etc.also a little supported leap (hands at waist or maybe even armpits with you pressing down on his hand. If your heights are compatible finger (whip) turns might not be out of the question either. hope this helped! as someone else pointed out, partnering and dancing can be very different monsters. at my studio growing up we often had boys come in and perform pas de deuxs who had probably never stepped foot in a dance studio before they were lifting and turning girls. good luck!
By funkiejmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1490, member since Mon Sep 09, 2002
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 01:33 AM
to clarify: efface is a position of the arms and head. seconde, in this instance, is a position of the leg.
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 02:20 AM
Efface is a position of the body, using arms, legs and head. In the Russian school it's devant or derrier. In the Cecchetti system you have efface for the position with the extended leg to the front and epaule for the position where the leg is extended derrier.

It's not just the head and arms, it's for the whole body.
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 02:04 PM
pardon me; I was referring to ecarte with the wrong word... :(
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 07:27 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-11-19 07:35:16
But ecarte is also a position of the body, it can be performed up stage or down stage, devant or derrier as well, but it's the arms, the head and the leg in second that make it ecarte. Otherwise it's just fourth (depending on the method followed) position of the arms.
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 03:03 PM
I agree with hummingbird, ecarte is a different position from a la seconde. The leg is to the side in both, but the back, shoulders, pelvis and head are completely different.
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 09:26 PM
Hi Everybody

Of course I meant "guys" not "gays"! I'm seriously sorry and I hope I haven't offended somebody!!

Thanks for all the good responses, I'm really happy for that!

Okay, here's a little more information. The dance is for a musical performance and the boy is one of the actors. In the scene we are supposed to be "in love", but since I am the dancer, he's not really supposed to dance. The idea is that he somehow could support me a bit through the dance and that we maybe could do some "romantic steps" together, so it will be more convincing I will however not be forcing him to do anything he cannot or will not do. :)

Promenades en attitude devant, supported pirouettes and small jumps sounds duable. I've heard that the fish dive is one of the easy lifts, but we will of course not do it if he cannot lift me.

And thanks for mentioning the thing about the hands green pumpkin :) It's good to know!

Thank you, you've all been a great help!

Keep on dancing!
On Tue Nov 20, 2012 01:57 AM
Can you say what scene in what musical this is? That would help. Also, is there a choreographer for the show, or are you expected to make the dance?
On Tue Nov 20, 2012 07:30 PM
ecarte is a position of the body--yes. so is develope a la seconde or port de bras en haut. every position, direction, and step in ballet is a position, direction, and step of the entire body.

My suggestion stands that perhaps the OP could try a promenade in ecarte
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Tue Nov 20, 2012 08:29 PM
Since it is sounding more musical theater . . .
It's not the first time there's been a girl who was a much better dancer than the boy. If you are doing a lot of the dancing, he can sort of lead you (by the hand, a hand on your hip, etc.) and it will feel to most of the audience that you're dancing together. Then he can do some poses here and there with you, the simpler footwork, etc. Maybe try watching some classic musical clips on youtube. I'm thinking maybe Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, that sort of thing.
On Thu Nov 22, 2012 03:55 PM
Thank you!
I guess it's more like musical theater, so I will search on youtube now :)

ReplySendWatch