Forum: Adults / Money Matters

Money Matters
Lost my license
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 07:49 PM

So I was shopping and got asked for ID and I went to get my driver's license and it's gone. I've searched my house, my car, my job, but it completely gone. My credit cards are all still there so I'm hoping it's here somewhere and I just haven't found it. Obviously I need to get it replaced, but should I put a fraud alert out anywhere? Just to be safe? I honestly cannot fathom how my license came out, I keep it and my credit cards in a metal business card holder that snaps shut in a pock inside my wallet. Only thing I can think of it I had gotten my credit card out and tossed the holder in my purse and my license slid out and fell out somewhere somehow. I'm a little freaked out by it honestly. Advice?

7 Replies to Lost my license

re: Lost my license (karma: 1)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 07:54 PM
Call the last place you shopped and see if anyone found it. Also check in the car, and your pockets of your jeans, jacket, etc. I'm not sure about fraud alerts, sorry. Hope you find it!

kk~
re: Lost my license
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:22 PM
KARMA!!! You KK are a genius. I started trying to think where I had used my credit cards last that my license could have fallen out and only two places came to mind, the grocery store and car service center when I got my oil changed. Grocery store has it! Ahhhhh! SO RELIEVED!!!!

I'm going to leave this open in case anyone has other advice to give, stories to share, what have you. I think we may still put a alert on the account just to be safe, because someone may have picked it turned it in and that's that. Or as unlikely as it may be, someone may have written all pertinent info down, then turned it in and may be trying to open a credit card in my name as type. BUT IT IS FOUND YAY!
By dancer7210 Comments: 283, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:28 PM
It's great that you found it! I was going to say have some one else check everything for you after you did, because I lose things all the time then people in my family look where I looked and it was there! Sometimes I swear it was not there but others I just dont think I really even looked through well. ;) Good that you found it though! If I had more karma I would give it to KK too! Ill try to remember for tommrow!
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:31 PM
Yay! Glad you found! This has happened to me before, too. And also with my debit card, which adds a whole extra level to the freak out.

kk~
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 09:28 PM
I have this discussion with my wife from time to time as she carries far too many credit cards.

Both of us have had credit card compromised for one reason or another. About six month ago we had airline tickets purchased with one of our cards from Canada to Pakistan. We called the credit card company immediately when we got the bill and they investigated (that one turned out to be a typing or handwriting error in data entry - transposed digits.) We were issued new numbers for that card and the error rectified.

Some years ago she lost a card. We called immediately and the card was cancelled (no transactions were attempted).

Keep a list of the 800 numbers for each of your cards. Out and out fraud will be absorbed by the credit card company.

Many years ago, our daughter did have fraud. The credit union who sponsors the card called her to ask "Have you been shopping in Atlanta?" My daughter has never been in Atlanta. Upon investigation photos were recovered of the perpetrator making a purchase. My daughter is Caucasian, the perpetrator was not. All the charges this person made were reversed. The perpetrator even made token payments on the account in an attempt to prolong her purchases, none of which were very large. At the time my daughter worked for a major bank who also initiated an investigation along with the credit card company. It was discovered that a ring of thieves in Atlanta was in the business of couriering the cards from the manufacturer of the cards to the post office and helping themselves to random cards. They were caught and convicted. The person who used my daughter's card had many cards so that it would take a while to discover the scam.

If you are traveling out of area, like the other end of the country or overseas. notify the credit card company of that. We had a case a year ago when we were in Florida and using our card, that we could not make a gasoline purchase because the credit card company was suspicious of the out of area transactions (we live near Washington, DC.) I managed to get the card turned back on while we were there, but it took a lot of "on-hold" time on my cell phone to do so. I have also been called at home when it was noticed that simultaneously transactions occurred here; in California; and in Wisconsin. My wife was at a teachers' convention in CA, I remained at home and we had just made an alumni contribution to our college by credit card. This year, I advised two credit card companies that we were traveling overseas and gave them the times we would be gone. We had no problems whatsoever. We were in Iceland, a country where almost everyone uses credit cards for nearly everything.

I've never lost a driver's license (yet.) Since that number is rather unique and usually not tied to any banking or credit card loss is not a great danger, about the most someone might do is buy some underage booze...except my photo shows I'm far older than 21. Reporting the loss quickly will prevent anyone from using it to establish an account. Still you can report it and for a small fee get it replaced.

The other thing we guard is our medical parking passes which both my wife and I have (me for heart problems, she for leg and knee arthritis) as people have broken into cars to get these. I always remove them when I am not parked in a place which require them.

Jon
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 06:00 AM
I lost my license once, and I learned a few lessons the hard way.

I too had taken it out of my wallet to use it for ID at the bank. When the teller sent my cash back through the tube, she put my license in the envelope with the cash. There was a line behind me, so I hurried away from the drive up window meaning to tend to details before I got out of the car. Long story short, I dropped the envelope in the city and never found it. $400.00 was a hard hit to take, and replacing the license was a big hassle.

Now, no matter what, I always put my license or health insurance card or credit cards right back in their own little slot in my wallet, no matter how long the line. Same for cash, although after that event, I try not to carry too much cash.... Maybe someday I'll get over this...but not anytime soon. (and it's been six years!)

I'm so glad you found it.

Keep On Dancing*
By funkiejmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1490, member since Mon Sep 09, 2002
On Sun Nov 25, 2012 04:23 PM
so glad you found it!!! I'm terrible at keeping track of little things like licenses. mostly, it's because I can't really carry a purse everywhere I go and I have two wallets--a tiny one that just carries the license, one cc, and a few bills of cahs and a larger one that carries most everything else (and an old one in my desk that holds absolutely everything else--store cc and other licenses/permits). switching back and forth is great for my day to day stuff, but its hell on keeping track of crap.
I have definitely gotten better though. eight years ago (when I started seeing my bf), I wouldn't carry any wallet b/c everything went in a pocket. of course I wasn't wearing the same pockets everyday and I was constantly in search of my cards. ...
I start a 'desk' job in january, so maybe I'll have better luck with it all if I carry a purse everyday. ;)

ReplySendWatch