Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
Yoga DVD suggestions
By lux Comments: 1178, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:21 PM
Edited by lux (197070) on 2012-11-18 20:26:55

I'm looking for a DVD I can use to run myself through a yoga workout in the morning. I work a wildly alternating roster, so it's near impossible for me to find a good yoga class and stick to it. There are studios in my area that offer classes, but few are nearby or early enough to be of much use to me.

So, a couple of criterion:
* I'd prefer something with a couple of different workout options, but I'm happy with any program that runs for 30-60 minutes
* I'm looking to improve my flexibility, more so than my strength (I do weights and conditioning classes at my gym on the strength side of things) or the spiritual side of yoga (some classes i've taken placed a heavy focus on this, which is fine, but not my reason for practicing)
* I'm more than happy with a yoga-hybrid (yoga/thai chi, yoga/pilates etc)
* I'm open to most types of yoga, but would prefer a school that doesn't require props as the storage space in my house is limited.
* I guess i would describe my level of profiency and experience as intermediate, but I've only ever taken classes at gyms (all of used Les Mills) and community centers
* I don't mind spending a reasonable amount on this, as my original plan was to buy a multi-class pass until I realized my schedule wouldn't accommodate this
* I live in Australia, so I need something that is able to be purchased/shipped to here, and will also play on my DVD player.

As a side note, I do realize there are an infinite number of "yoga classes" available on YouTube, but I want something I can play on my TV.

Cheers in advance, people!

5 Replies to Yoga DVD suggestions

re: Yoga DVD suggestions
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 04:43 AM
Bob Harper's yoga DVD is really good, but lengthy. It runs 75 minutes, with a 15 minute yoga abs segment.

I also liked Jillian Michael's yoga DVD, although I was prepared to hate it. It's got awful reviews, lol..

If you're in to Tony Horton, I'm pretty sure the 10 Minute Trainer video series has a yoga video. P90X has one, but it's even longer than Bob Harper's video.

Biggest Loser has a yoga series out, that's adaptable, so you can change up the segments you do. It does ask for props, but you can capably get through the video without them (I've done it myself).

I tried a couple of Denise Austin's videos, and honestly, they got scary. Her's are adaptable too, you can do different segments, or do them all together as one solid workout. I did one, and it gave me cramps in my back, to the point that I couldn't keep going. I stopped, went back to it the next day, and tried a different segment. She goes through the segments with such speed, that I just really couldn't shake the feeling I was going to hurt myself. I gave up, and shut it off.

I've also tried a Rodney Yee video. It wasn't bad, but it was quite a bit more meditative than I wanted. Although if meditation is what you're in the market for, then that's not really a bad thing.
By OvertheOcean Comments: 2516, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Sun Nov 18, 2012 09:46 PM
Edited by OvertheOcean (103936) on 2012-11-18 21:47:07
I really like Namaste Yoga. I don't have the DVDs but I used to record it off the TV. I found that there was enough variety to suit most beginner-intermediate levels, and it definitely helped with my flexibility. It's also really highly rated on Amazon.

www.amazon.com . . .

It says it's available for all regions, so I'm assuming it'd work in Australia, but I can't say for sure.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 05:37 AM
I have done some Shiva Rea videos from youtube and I think I am pretty into her. From what I can find, this Daily Energy Vinyasa video is one of her best rated videos. You may want to look through the descriptions though and see if you are comfortable with the poses. If you haven't done this style before, it is sometimes hard to keep up with. I find that I like flow because it forces me to focus on my breathing. She has a beginner video too, which is what most of the videos I have done on youtube are from. I also really like Sadie Nardini but I wish I could slow her videos down a little, haha. Not sure what her videos are even like, I have just done some of her stuff from the BeFit channel on youtube.

You can find so many clips on youtube, before you purchase you may want to try a couple of clips. I know that Jillian's Yoga Meltdown is on that channel (here is Level 1)
By lux Comments: 1178, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 05:19 AM
Thanks guys! Previewing each DVD via YouTube is a really great idea I actually hadn't considered, I'll definitely look into it. Theresa, you brought up something I didn't think to mention- I do need fairly slow-paced workouts. I've done a couple of classes before where the instructor moves at lightening speed... needless to say, I wasn't keeping up.

At this point I'm leaning towards the Namaste series OverTheOcean suggested, but since I'm now putting off buying until after Christmas, I'm going to do a little more research first. Thanks again, everyone :)
By kinsidhe Comments: 248, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 06:07 PM
I like the Yoga Zone series. The set came with 6 DVD's each with two shorter sessions. You can do two back to back for a longer one or just do one. What I liked about them is the instructors change-you dont have to listen to the same voice over and over. You get a different target with each-some are more for relaxing, some for abs, some for power some for flexibility etc. So you can rotate if you like. They talk you through everything and always have someone showing modified versions as well. They are very good about making sure you understand how to properly align yourself.

ReplySendWatch