Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Uneven Weight Loss
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 PM

I busted through my plateau finally. It took a freaking YEAR.

I started Zumba at a gym with my new bff. Anyhow, between that, the stationary bike we purchased, starting to lift weights a little and adding a couple of more calories to my diet, finally weight started dropping off again a couple of weeks back. But there's a weird thing happening. I totally do not want to go out in shorts like this next year. I'm embarrassed.

My right arm is not losing weight as fast as my left arm. I'm doing the same reps with weights with both arms and both arms are getting worked out the same. You would think because my right arm is supposedly my dominant arm it would be the one a bit smaller, but no. That's weird.

Now for the bigger embarrassment weird. My thighs are uneven. The right thigh is getting smaller a little faster than the left one. But at least the left one looks even all up and down the leg. But the right one looks like an umpa lumpa. There's this dimple on the outer side and the inner side is fatter up top than the bottom. I hate it. It seems the harder I work, the weirder it looks. Will this even out eventually?

I'm supposed to be restarting yoga or pilates this week, I haven't made up my mind which one yet. Will that help even me out? The arms I feel like will eventually catch up since it's not such a huge difference, but the thighs are really starting to bum me out. Summer is months off and I'd like to fix this before then.

For the record my husband says I look great, but I cringe when I look in the mirror now. WTH happened?

7 Replies to Uneven Weight Loss

re: Uneven Weight Loss (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:12 AM
Well, you can't really control where you lose weight. You'll have to bulk up the muscle on your tiny limbs to match your big ones. Or just switch to tops that have one sleeve. Or stand sideways with your bigger arm farther away. I hope these suggestions have been helpful.

Anyway, I don't know about yoga, but pilates can definitely even you out. But it would be by bulking up the small one, not reducing the bigger one.
re: Uneven Weight Loss
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 PM
LOL! You're evil, sweetie. Thanks for the advice. I'll try out the pilates and hope as the months go by I even out as I lose more weight.
By xBallet_babex
On Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:27 AM
What are you doing for weights? Are you using one weight between the arms or one weight in each hand? I know when I used to have to use the bar weights in school I would do more work with my dominant arm. I'm also more likely to "cheat" by letting gravity help me with I'm lowering the weight instead of controlling it the whole way through an exercise like a bicep curl with my non-dominant arm. Might be something to watch for to make sure you aren't cheating yourself. If I use exercise bands, it helps with "cheating" because I don't want to snap myself with the band.

I would think yoga would help with your arms more than pilates. I don't think I've done anything in pilates relating to arms beyond holding them out for saw or similar exercises.
By teenydanseur
On Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:38 AM
have you thought about hot yoga too? It's mostly a genetic thing, but that doesn't mean you can try to help your body catch up. The body itself is weird, it's probably possible that some of the weight is water retention as well.

Also, have you thought about switching stationary bike use with some walking/jogging? Especially as far as dimpling, stationary bikes can be tough to get the legs how you want them to be because you're sitting on the seat. The inner thigh, butt, arms aren't getting a work out so it can be kind of an uneven regime.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 09:36 PM
Could be that you are losing fat evenly but gaining muscle UNevenly. That's the more likely scenario. Since you are right-side dominant, if you are staying aligned better on that side, using your abs more efficiently on that side, etc., then your right arm will be doing the reps more efficiently. On the left, your arm muscles will be working harder to make up for a lack of form.

The same can be true of legs. If you look at me closely you will see that my left leg is visibly larger than the right. Even my foot is bigger. My right foot has a reasonably strong, steady arch; so I can stand on my right leg fairly easily. My left foot goes flat as a pancake with weight on it and is totally wishy-washy when it comes to bone structure. So on that side all the muscles in foot, ankle, calf and thigh, work extra hard to make up for the lack of skeletal strength. In my case I will never be able to even up.

Have an expert watch you as you perform some exercises and help you to spot any differences in form on one side vs the other.
On Wed Dec 05, 2012 02:19 AM
I spoke to a personal trainer in person (the other one I had is a lazy over-the-phone lima bean) but he won't be able to help me out unless he watches me do a couple things. And I ain't got the money for that yet, lol!

I'm taking some of you guys advice, though, and I've found some yoga and pilates I want to try out. As for walking, I did that for a long long time and I'm kind of tired of it as an exercise. I still walk on a regular basis for regular stuff that has to do with carrying out life stuff (LONG story), but I'm just tired of walking as a workout and have moved on to other pastures, lol! I hope as I keep on losing weight slowly I'll just even out. I've stopped using weights for a short time and have also decided to go back to calisthenics for a little while since you get a more 'even' workout with pushups and squats and lunges.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sun Jan 06, 2013 02:43 AM
Have you evened out yet? As a trainer I've never seen such an uneven weight loss like this, but everyone's body is different. Eventually your body should even out because it aims to be symmetrical for balance and functional purposes.

ReplySendWatch