Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Nutritional/supplements advice for dancers?
By DressShopping
On Mon Nov 26, 2012 06:14 PM
Edited by DressShopping (225330) on 2012-11-26 18:15:20 how many times can one person say "injury"

I have been wondering about dancer injury and repetitive/overuse damage. Some high profile dancers have been missing major comps due to injuries. As the mom of Irish dancers, this is very frightening. Does anyone have any good resources for/articles about nutrition/supplements to help maintain healthy bones and joints as a dancer? I have already discussed this with my dancers MD and Orthopedists, but I was looking for additional resources. Thanks!

9 Replies to Nutritional/supplements advice for dancers?

re: Nutritional/supplements advice for dancers?
By Petiteid
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 07:22 PM
Hi there, Did you get any information about this? I am also curious. I am an adult dancer and I worry about getting injuries all the time. I do my best to stretch and not work myself too hard but I don't think its something you can always prevent.
By legalirishdancer
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 09:09 PM
I am curious about this as well. I had a stress fracture last spring and it's continued to give me problems. My parents blame it on my strict vegetarian diet, but I think it's overuse and the fact that I jumped back into dancing (including a lot of toe work) full time after a nine-year break. I take a multi-vitamin and I drink protein shakes that are fortified with tons of vitamins and minerals, in addition to stretching and cross training. Any other ideas to share?
By RinceorNosretep
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:09 PM
Here is a very good blog about such things: feisfit.com It is written by very accomplished Melbourne dancer Brent Pace Rabusin.

The Antonio Pacelli website has a health and fitness section: www.antoniopacelli.com . . .

I google searched 'Irish dance fitness" and found these, plus saw a ton of different tumblr sites (but can't look at, tumblr is blocked here at work).

I'm trying to find a website that I saw and bookmarked on my laptop years ago, but as I'm at work I can't find it. I'm not even sure it still exists, but I hope it does as it had some good sections on fitness and strengthening, injury prevention, stuff like that.
By boleyngrrl
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:59 AM
I take glucosamine and chondroitin supplements--some people say they do nothing, but I feel better and my joints can take more before they start hurting when I take it. Also, calcium pills. Don't let your calcium fall too low because that puts you at more risk for stress fractures.

If you're truly desperate, I noticed a definite improvement in my performance with this drink. However, it tastes nasty. Not so nasty you can't drink it, but I don't suggest taking big sips, or breathing while you take the sips. It's not an energy drink, which is what I like--they say it's formulated by doctors, and it's got all this good stuff in it (glucosamine, green tea extract, omega 3s, etc.). It really helped me get through my workshop, and I'll definitely buy it again (along with noseplugs so I don't have to smell it). I bought it at EarthFare, but my guess is that any natural food store or exercise store would have it. www.drinkfitaid.com

Another thing (not supplement related) is you have to wear supportive shoes. Nearly all the time. That means those Old Navy flip-flops, Uggs (without orthotics), ballet flats, and (the true killers) those freaking high heels I see on girls at every major, don't wear them. Every once in awhile isn't going to hurt, but like 1x/week for one of them (only one per week) should be your max. I saw a girl get on the podium at my Oireachtas who was injured (why she didn't dance) but had to get her medal from last year, and she had on 4in heels! At least! And I'm sitting there going, uh... I have some healing tips for you, girlie--if you don't want to get injured more, get your feet out of the freaking death traps! *mini rant over*

The websites given above are all really good, and I don't have much to add website wise.

Good luck and I hope this helps!! :)
By mcmahon312
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 AM
hi i give my daughter glucosmine it helps heel any injuries and keeps the bones healthy i think you can get it in cream also to rub into any injuries i dont think i have the spelling right but ask at your chemist and she also takes multi vitamins streching is very important
By CelticCatPremium member
On Thu Nov 29, 2012 06:25 AM
Speaking of bone health, one thing my daughter and I cut out - except for an occasional "treat" - is soda. We used to drink tons of diet soda, thinking it was harmless. No fat or sugar - we're home free, right? Well, there have been studies correlating soda consumption with more fractures and bone problems among active girls and young adults, e.g. athletes and dancers. Now granted there's not enough hard evidence to say drinking diet soda CAUSES these problems, but the connection is there. I'd highly recommend anyone here who drinks a lot of soda to google the subject and read up on it. We replaced the soda wth water and a splash of real fruit juice.
re: Nutritional/supplements advice for dancers? (karma: 1)
By AnRinceoirRuamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 30, 2012 06:21 AM
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to throw it out there... no vitamin or nutritional supplement can substitute for a healthy, balanced diet! Weight lifting is also extremely beneficial.
By KittyMulv
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 06:24 PM
It's good to speak with a nutritionist and your physican about it so you can make sure there are no drug interactions or ad side effects of e supplements.
By dancing_for_life
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 06:41 AM
I've heard that omega-3 pills are good to help support your joints.

ReplySendWatch