Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
Tips for Removing Popcorn Ceiling Finish
By KamHamFam Comments: 7, member since Thu Feb 26, 2009
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 04:56 AM

Anyone ever removed a popcorn ceiling finish before? If so, any tips would be greatly appreciated. After removed, how do you refinish and paint? There is some info on the internet but not much.

Thanks!

5 Replies to Tips for Removing Popcorn Ceiling Finish

re: Tips for Removing Popcorn Ceiling Finish
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 07:00 AM
Removing the popcorn is EASY. Just scrape it off. But what's UNDER the popcorn? That's the important question. And what kind of ceiling do you want? If you just want a knockdown texture, I suggest you buy a kit from Home Depot and experiment in a closet. You CAN do it yourself, but it's trickier than it seems. IMHO, ceilings aren't do-it-yourself projects.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 01:58 PM
I was watching a home reno show where they were spraying something (Water?) onto the popcorn before scraping, so that it fell down with the weight of the water instead of becoming dust and getting all over everyone. I mean, it'll still be all over, but at least it will be a less intense all over.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 05:15 PM
I've never done it, but when ever I'm faced with a new type of home repair, I check with YouTube. Insert "Popcorn Ceiling Removal" into YouTube and you will find dozens of videos.

Jon
By RingingPhonePremium member Comments: 3509, member since Thu Nov 10, 2005
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 01:15 AM
I scraped the popcorn ceiling off my whole house earlier this year :)

Get a huge spray bottle, fill it with water and spray down sections of the ceiling. (I bought one from an auto parts store- it has a hand pump and a strap that you can hang from your shoulder. It was about $10.) If you wet the ceiling you will have minimal dust. I would recommend covering your floors with plastic, as the wet clumps are very messy. I used a couple small metal spatulas for getting into tight areas, but mainly used an extendable linoleum scraper (bought from Home Depot). I didn't need a ladder until I had to use the hand scrapers.

I had someone come in a refinish the ceilings with a smooth skim coat, and then I primed and painted. I would not suggest doing the mudding on the ceiling yourself- it's hard work and it needs to look perfect.
By gleepglop27 Comments: 20, member since Fri Aug 03, 2012
On Wed Dec 19, 2012 05:31 PM
When we did it, we covered everything in plastic and taped it up near the ceiling. After everything fell, we just tore off the tape and removed all the waste from the house.

ReplySendWatch