Forum: Advice / Beauty - Makeovers

Beauty - Makeovers
I want to dye my hair purple
By dancegirl90member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1077, member since Thu Dec 09, 2004
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 04:58 PM

I put some pictures that show what my hair looks like today. I love my hair. It's long and pretty. I like my natural hair color but I am kind of bored.

I really want to do something drastic like dye my hair purple. I've been thinking about it. I mean when it comes down to it, it is just hair and it grows back and I can dye it back brown anytime I want.

Plus this is kind of the only time where I can sport purple hair before I graduate college. Because I'm not going to have purple hair when I start working in my field.

Has anyone dyed their hair a crazy color and loved it ? I had pink hair for a few weeks when I was 16 and I loved it.

What do you guys think ? If you have experience please share :)

9 Replies to I want to dye my hair purple

re: I want to dye my hair purple
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 05:03 PM
In college, I would dye my hair all kinds of colors. Never my whole head, just streaks or the ends or soemthing. I had purple, teal, blue, red, etc. I changed it all the time, and had a lot of fun. Granted, I went to art school, so I was still pretty tame compared to most!
Do what you want! If you want purple hair, go for it. You're right, it will grow back. The only real problem you might have is that as dark as your hair is, you'll have to lighten it considerable to get a good strong purple.
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 05:41 PM
Why not? My only concern is that I don't think it'll show much unless you bleach your hair. Worse comes to worst and you don't like it, you can always dye it brown again. It might damage a bit your hair but it's not the end of the world :)
By dancegirl90member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1077, member since Thu Dec 09, 2004
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 06:11 PM
Yes I would definetly bleach it before dyeing it purple. I would just have to cut it a bit shorter when I dye it back to brown so that my hair heals faster if it gets a bit dry from the bleach.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 06:46 PM
What kinda shade of purple?

Regardless, I say go for it. While I wouldn't lose my job over dying my hair a crazy color, a lot of people who I interact with would look at me like I was crazy. I used to dye my hair a lot in college and did some fun unnatural colors and I wish I had done more. I still dye my hair a bit but not as often and it's always a shade of red, brown, or a bit of blonde somewhere.

Treat your hair well after it's done but I say go for it!
re: I want to dye my hair purple (karma: 1)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 01:23 PM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2012-11-28 13:27:54
Dancegirl90 who is a good friend of mine...we've met in person in her country... may have heard this one, but I'll share with the rest of you.

I certainly can't disapprove of purple hair because I've had it too, even though I may seem to be the person least likely. When my daughter was about 14 (she's now 45) she and a friend wanted to go to a "punk rock" (or whatever) clothing store in Washington DC's trendy Georgetown area called "Commander Salamanders." I parked the car and went in with them. They had a sample area with colored and supposedly temporary hair dye in spray cans. The two girls decided I should look trendy too and they zapped me with the purple stuff. They zapped me good!
"Don't worry Dad, it will wash right out with shampoo."

Yeah right!

The following Monday, dear Jon, federal bureaucrat, rather high level Civil Servant, still had purple hair and I had to give a high level briefing to some Washington VIP who was visiting my agency... in my Brooks Brothers suit...and purple hair.

It is rather unusual to see a (then) 40-something government Intelligence official with purple hair, but I was the only one who could give a briefing on the subject.

The best defense is often a good offense and I started my briefing by saying something like "You probably don't often see an official briefer in this business with purple hair, but if any of you have 14 years old daughters you may have some idea of how I might have gotten this way, particularly if you know anything about Commander Salamanders.

Needless to say I got my share of ribbing about this. I now go to some of my agency's reunions for retired officers and there still are several people who will come to me and tell me that they don't remember a thing about my briefing that day or even what it was about (neither do I) but they will never forget my purple hair!

Jon
By dancer7210 Comments: 283, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:44 PM
Maybe try dip dying the ends befor you do the wole thing. That way if you dont like it, its only a few inches of your hair, but if you do, you can easily dye the rest! Also, a simpler option would be to chalk your hair for the day, it comes out the first time it gets wet, but it could also give you an idea if you like purple, with no damage at all! Also, you can expirement with many different colors in just a few days to see what you like best. If you do like it with chaclk or the ends, then I would totaly dye it!
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 03:53 PM
Edited by schuhplattler (172013) on 2012-11-28 15:54:57
Go to Jacksonville, FL, where purple haired ladies always have the right of way :D
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:45 PM
I agree with the suggestion of dying the ends first! I've considered doing that quite a few times, I think it looks really great. (although I can't now that I work in an office.)
Anyway, this way you'll know how your hair takes the dye and exactly what it looks like, and if you really hate it you always have the option of trimming the ends.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:54 PM
All I'd suggest is that if you don't have a good amount of experience, consider going to a professional for the lightening...it's harder doing longer hair and so easy to have it come out wrong. Not hating, just my observation based on the number of people with messed up hair that I've seen over the years.

My hair has been all colors and quite a few combinations...it's been long, short, mohawked, buzzed off, and whatever else, haha. I am hating the fact that I can't do anything "fun" without wearing a wig to work but alas, I like making money. ;)

ReplySendWatch