Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Crafts & Hobbies
Tie Dye--help me with colors, please
By funkiejmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1490, member since Mon Sep 09, 2002
On Thu Nov 29, 2012 06:08 AM
Edited by funkiej (38965) on 2012-11-29 06:14:04 added my stock dyes

hiya DDners!! those are some pics of the items I've dyed.

I'm preparing some new tie dyes for an upcoming festival where I'll have a booth. I've got some decent skills, but I'm looking for ideas about what other folks like in their tie-dyes.

Can you help me with colors? Designs? what colors would you like to see together? I have nearly 50 different colors of dye across the spectrum--primaries, secondaries, lots of browns,greens, and blues and several reds and pinks.

Ideas for setting up a booth--I have a table and a tent but no racks or anything. I'm thinking I'll line the edges of the tent with clothesline and hang the textiles like they are drying. That way, everyone can see everything and I don't have to buy anything! :)

6 Replies to Tie Dye--help me with colors, please

re: Tie Dye--help me with colors, please
By funkiejmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1490, member since Mon Sep 09, 2002
On Thu Nov 29, 2012 01:20 PM
some more images. :)

I like that pink dress in the middle photo, but I almost feel like it needs something more or less. I have more girl's cotton dresses like that--one I've dyed in a rainbow swirl, but I'm nervous to continue dying them without hearing from other folks.

I appreciate your help in advance!
On Fri Nov 30, 2012 01:31 AM
here are a few rainbow colored shirts I dyed today. I don't like the V-striped one in the third photo much; maybe I'll add a black spiral over the top????

I especially like those two in the first pic. Which do you like? Would you change anything to like them more?
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:53 AM
These are all great. I especially like the third one in the first post (the blue skirt/dress), and the second one in the third post (the rainbow double swirl tee). Love those!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 05:54 AM
What climate are you it? This idea might not work if you are in a tropical climate but....

Years ago my husband and I had tie-die union suits which we wore under out ski clothes and camping clothes for warmth. Mine was red/orange/pink and his was blue/green/yellow We got them at a ski show where two women had a small booth at the edge of floor. They were taking orders because their entire stock had sold out within a very short time of the show's opening and even their samples hanging on the walls were all spoken for. With a sort of glazed look, they explained that it would take at least 6 months before they could get to our, particular order. That was fine with us.

Today you can find tie-dye union suits on the Web. But there's nothing like seeing the unique patterns in person to realize "Gotta have one!"
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 06:20 AM
I am really only drawn to tie dye that is simple, so maybe do some more like you have in the very last picture that is just red/white. I tried to pull up some images of stuff that I have seen that is more "modern" that I really like.

Image hotlink - 'http://blog.stylehive.com/images/uploads/070610-tiedye_BIG.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://blog.stylehive.com/images/uploads/070610-tiedye_200.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://wheretheresfiredotcom2.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/5348093277857686_svbun8j7_f.jpg?w=620'

Image hotlink - 'http://wheretheresfiredotcom2.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/8796161742689249_nuln0ib7_f.jpg?w=620'

This site actually has instructions. I REALLY like the scarf idea
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Dec 09, 2012 05:20 AM
I am a tie dyer from the 60's, so I know how to do it. We did it in my art class in high school (I graduated in 1973) and in my pre-school, the teachers were clueless so I did all they tying and knotting. I liked everything except for a red and blue one I think? I love the rainbow colors and I have a pair of socks that are bright yellow (my fave color) and bright orange. I also have a pair of heavy weight tights that are rainbow colored. I wore them to dance w/a rainbow striped leotard which totally freaked out my dance teacher. I don't think she ever got over it! LOL

I am a bright color kind of girl so I like all your colors. How about some red & green for Christmas? My fave colors are yellow, orange and green but bright or pastel colors.

Now I just had an idea for something and I might do it but you can use my idea if you wish. How about Tie Dye and then rubber stamping over it? I just wonder how it would look? It would sure be different, wouldn't it?

Okay, I will keep my ideas to myself now but just say again, I love what you've done. I wonder if you could do leotards or does it have to be 100% cotton? I can't remember for sure. I'm probably the only one who still wears leotards but it would be fun to have a tie dyed one.

ReplySendWatch