Poll: Advice / Beauty - Makeovers

Do I get bangs?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:03 PM
Edited by Kekoa (69553) on 2012-11-30 22:54:20

Here I am. This is the texture of my hair normally, but it gets straight if I blow it dry or brush it while wet.

Image hotlink - 'http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/KaylaBeanie/Photoon2011-11-10at1438.jpg'

My problem is that there's a fine line between hipster-esque long hair with bangs and Duggar-esque long hair with bangs. And I'm terrified I'll end up looking like the latter.

Edited: I'd want longer, blunt bangs. Like this.

Image hotlink - 'http://media-cache0.pinterest.com/upload/44543483785390047_WS4cZmhx_c.jpg'

19 Replies to Do I get bangs?

re: Do I get bangs?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:52 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2012-11-30 23:09:22
What type of bangs? Straight across bangs (I googled "hipster bangs" and I think this is what you mean)... no, I don't like those on most people (if you do them right it might work on you, as in the proper length, not to short or not to long). Other types of bangs? Yes, definitely.

edit: now that you added the picture...I'd still say maybe. Have you tried folding your hair into fake bangs to see how it fits your face? I'm thinking you'd need some layers.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sat Dec 01, 2012 06:13 AM
Edited with a picture of the type I'm thinking. Definitely not thick, above-the-eyebrow blunt bangs that I see coming back (yuck). I am thinking straight across, slightly wispy/piecy bangs like the ones I posted in my OP.

Here's another example of the type, and since my hair is wavy, this is probably a bit closer to how they'd look. You know, other than the fact that I don't have a hairstylist doing my hair ;)

Image hotlink - 'http://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/upload/202802789440738733_P6NGCwsh_c.jpg'
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Dec 01, 2012 06:30 AM
Kekoa wrote:

Edited with a picture of the type I'm thinking. Definitely not thick, above-the-eyebrow blunt bangs that I see coming back (yuck). I am thinking straight across, slightly wispy/piecy bangs like the ones I posted in my OP.

Here's another example of the type, and since my hair is wavy, this is probably a bit closer to how they'd look. You know, other than the fact that I don't have a hairstylist doing my hair ;)

Image hotlink - 'http://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/upload/202802789440738733_P6NGCwsh_c.jpg'

I think you could pull that off. You still might need some slight layers.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Sat Dec 01, 2012 03:45 PM
I think they would look really cute on you, and I think they would go well with your personal style aesthetic.

Having said that... Sorry if this is a little invasive, but how is your skin doing these days? I know you've had acne breakouts in the past, and sometimes bangs can cause or contribute to forehead acne on people who struggle with their skin. So that would be my only concern. But I don't think you have anything to worry about with whether or not the actual style would look good. :)
On Sat Dec 01, 2012 04:33 PM
Jonelle wrote:

I think they would look really cute on you, and I think they would go well with your personal style aesthetic.

Having said that... Sorry if this is a little invasive, but how is your skin doing these days? I know you've had acne breakouts in the past, and sometimes bangs can cause or contribute to forehead acne on people who struggle with their skin. So that would be my only concern. But I don't think you have anything to worry about with whether or not the actual style would look good. :)

Oh goodness, two years ago this would have been a HUGE concern! I'm fortunately still clear from my round of accutane, and I'm on birth control which keeps period breakouts to a minimum. That's one of the reasons I want to get bangs...I haven't had them since before my massive breakout in 2009/2010.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Sat Dec 01, 2012 05:49 PM
Awesome, glad to hear your skin is behaving! :) Then I would totally go for them. I've been debating getting bangs similar to what you posted myself, but ultimately I don't think I'm enough of a boho type of girl to pull them off. However, that's not the case for you, so I think they'd be awesome on you!
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sat Dec 01, 2012 06:04 PM
I thought you already had bangs haha! The way I remember you from pictures, you had bangs. And they looked good. :P
So I say, go for it. I cut my hair recently and got bangs and I love it. One thing I would say is to ask your hairstylist to show you how to maintain the cut at home. My hair grows so fast it's ridiculous. I cut my bangs every week because I hate to have them in my eyes. I also don't have the time and money to go the salon every week. The hairstylist showed me how to do it and it's so easy (even for girls with no hair-related skills, like me)
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Dec 01, 2012 06:47 PM
You have wavy hair, so cutting them into bangs often makes hair curlier and you may fight with them if they have a tendency to go every which way like mine used to as a kid. I am trying to think if any of my friends have bangs, and I don't think so...maybe its an over 35 kind of thing for us. hmmmmm
On Sat Dec 01, 2012 06:48 PM
Josiane wrote:

I thought you already had bangs haha! The way I remember you from pictures, you had bangs. And they looked good. :P
So I say, go for it. I cut my hair recently and got bangs and I love it. One thing I would say is to ask your hairstylist to show you how to maintain the cut at home. My hair grows so fast it's ridiculous. I cut my bangs every week because I hate to have them in my eyes. I also don't have the time and money to go the salon every week. The hairstylist showed me how to do it and it's so easy (even for girls with no hair-related skills, like me)

Thanks for the tip, as I never would have thought of it :)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Sat Dec 01, 2012 07:44 PM
I think a lot of it is about how your hair falls. I have a big forehead, so in theory bangs should look ok on me. However I have very wavy, kind of curly hair and a cowlick. Doesn't matter the amount of product I put in my hair, or if I blow dry and straighten the heck out of them... they don't fall right and look silly. Try to do some fake bangs, blow dry and straighten a chunk of your hair to the front as if they are bangs and see if they stay there or if they just want to separate back to the side on their own.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Sat Dec 01, 2012 08:18 PM
I have wavy-ish hair and had straight across bangs (though mine were more blunt). The thing I struggled with was that I got them towards the end of the humid midwestern summer so anytime I stepped outside, my bangs got super curly and went every which way (and not in the cute wispy way....) I'm not sure what the winter climate is like where you live. I presume not crazy humid right now, so if you are going to do....NOW is the time. Also, like hooray was saying, my bands really struggled to stay evenly spread out...they often split at where my natural part lies.
By OneGiantLeap Comments: 492, member since Wed Apr 30, 2008
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 02:04 AM
My two cents on wavy hair and fringes... I have naturally wavy hair, and I find my fringe sits better (ie. straighter and together) the shorter it is. Once it starts getting to eye length and lower, I feel like Garth out of Wayne's World.
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 02:19 AM
I've had bangs in the past, and as long as I brush them out and blow dry them when wet, they go pretty straight. My hair in general is the same way, if I comb it out before washing it and let it air dry, it's wavy, but if I blow it dry it's totally straight.

I'm getting excited...I have until December 26 to decide for sure!
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 01:39 PM
Leave it alone. You are one gorgeous doll.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 03:26 PM
^I don't think her getting bangs is going to change her beauty status.
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 07:05 PM
Haha...

On that note, I'm also getting some color in my hair. I'm thinking some honey blonde highlights and golden reddish blonde/brown lowlights. Do we think yes? Or should I do something more dramatic?
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 05:32 AM
Well, I got my hair done on the 27th. And I didn't get bangs.

But then, I regretted it. So I went and got some yesterday ;)

Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/64540_583518404996059_1285383281_n.jpg'

I'm still working on getting used to the look of long hair and bangs, but I love them with my hair up so far!

I'll probably grow them out into longer side bangs though, because it gets ungodly hot here in the summer and I can't have gross sweaty bangs.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 06:13 PM
The bangs looks great! Good decision.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Sat Jan 12, 2013 02:32 AM
Cute as a button! I think they're a great look for you. I was worried that the wave in your hair might have made them difficult but they look just like the picture.

ReplySendWatch