Forum: Arts / Acting

Acting
Important Acting Role. Need Tips!
By luvdance5678 Comments: 76, member since Sun Jan 29, 2012
On Fri Dec 07, 2012 01:33 AM

I have a really big role in my Dance Ensembles show this year. The show is a lot like Alice in Wonderland. I play the part like Alice! The role means I must act a lot! I'm onstage the whole time, but not always dancing. Does anyone have acting tips on how to not draw too much attention while others are dancing, yet stay engaged? Or anything else on acting this part. If you have been Clara in The Nutcracker, you would probably know the position I am in. Any tips? Anyone?
Thank you!
luvdance5678

2 Replies to Important Acting Role. Need Tips!

re: Important Acting Role. Need Tips!
By SoClassy Comments: 316, member since Mon Dec 03, 2012
On Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:37 AM
Congratulations on getting this part!!

Keep your face pleasant. You don't have to have a cheesy grin on the whole time (that would be creepy) but don't look bored. Keep your body (as in your posture) attentive and engaged. If all else fails, smile an look pretty :P

One thing that has helped me as an actor (not necessarily for a ballet but as an actor in general) is to get caught up in the moment. Unless you are a very technical actor, let yourself be caught up in the scene and the magic of the stage. Maybe this is just my theater geek talking, but there really is so much magic in the theater with an audience and the lights.

I'm assuming that at some point tere will be attention on you, so take it. If you want to make a movement, MAKE IT. Don't do it halfway. And above all else, enjoy it!

Break a leg!
re: Important Acting Role. Need Tips!
By luvdance5678 Comments: 76, member since Sun Jan 29, 2012
On Fri Dec 07, 2012 04:44 AM
Thanks so much! I'm taking your advice!
I've been watching as much Alice in Wonderland I can get, as well as a ton of Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ. I'll try and stay as pleasent as possible.
I don't consider myself a very technical actor, but I also don't consider myself a very technical dancer either :(
We all have those theater geeks inside of us just ready to pounce!
luvdance5678

ReplySendWatch