Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

What is the most you have paid, or would pay, for a facial moisturizer/ oil control mattifier?
By Spiorad
On Mon Dec 10, 2012 03:38 AM

So this whole semester I have had problems with my skin. I never have in the past and it has been extremely frustrating. The changes in my skin started towards the end of summer when I noticed that my skin was getting really oily throughout the day. So I got oil blotting pads and would keep them handy and that was that. In truth my skin would not have been classified as "oily" but it was to me.

Well anyway, I got a free gift bag from Ulta with a bunch of samples and among them was a facial cleanser skin prep, facial scrub, and oil-control mattifier with SPF 15.

I LOOOOVE them. I have been using them as directed (the prep every day, the facial scrub every other day, and the mattifier everyday) since I got them and my skin is FANTASTIC. I honestly cannot believe how fast things changed.

The other thing I cannot believe is how FAR the products go! Of the three only the mattifier needs a little bit more then the rest. The other two a dime sized amount is more then enough and the mattifier only needs about a nickle sized about.

The cleansers are around drug store prices so no concern there.

However, the mattifier is $40. I have NEVER spent anything over $15 on something like this and I don't know if it is worth it! I am going to wait until I am done with the samples before I make my final decision but what do you all think?

I could take a picture of all the "regular" drug store items I have tried to get my skin to balance out and it would look like I was IN a drugstore! So now that I found something that works I really want to stick with it. But YOWZA! $40!

What is the most you all have spent on skin care? < And that's another thing! When I add up how much I have wasted on products that haven't worked it adds up to waaaay more!

4 Replies to What is the most you have paid, or would pay, for a facial moisturizer/ oil control mattifier?

re: What is the most you have paid, or would pay, for a facial moisturizer/ oil control mattifier?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Mon Dec 10, 2012 03:51 AM
What I'd do: estimate how many servings are in a bottle, and then figure out how much each serving "costs". If there are 40 servings, then you're paying a dollar a day for the mattifier. I just did some shot-in-the-dark math, and my estimate would be 20 - 25 "servings" per oz. (Based on twice the volume of a nickle into the volume of an ounce...ish.)
re: What is the most you have paid, or would pay, for a facial moisturizer/ oil control mattifier?
By Summer
On Mon Dec 10, 2012 03:56 AM
If you have finnicky skin, it may just be worth it to dish out a extra if something works like magic for you, since you'd probably have to use less of it anyway, plus it's hard to put a price on nice skin. Just make sure you're not like dipping into your gas money or savings or anything to pay for skin care, then that'd be silly.
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 10, 2012 04:04 AM
I've ranged from $15 (giant tub of Cetaphil) to the $50-70 range for moisturizer (Estee Lauder, Dior, Lancome). I haven't ventured into the triple digit range yet and hope I don't have to anytime in the near future.

I think for basic hydration, a cheap drugstore staple can do.

However, if you want anything with more functions like oil control, pore minimizing, skin brightening, evening skin tone, anti-aging, the fancy-shmancy stuff, anything in the double digits range is appropriate.

I'd rather spend more money on something I know that will work versus buying a ton of really cheap stuff and hoping something will work.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 10, 2012 04:20 AM
I currently work in skin care, so I may be a little biased, but I think the $40 will be worth your while.

As you say, you've probably spent well over that amount on various drug store products that were useless, and if you don't settle on something that actually works, you'll just keep cycling through and end up spending more.

I don't think that good facial care is a luxury, I think it is a necessity, the same way using soap or deodorant is. Unfortunately the face can be a little harder to treat than the rest of the body and the industry knows that, so they can jack prices up for products that actually work for problematic skin. :?

Maybe you could scale back on the rest of your products if the matifier is going to blow your budget but makes the most difference? Use a drug store brand cleanser, a home made toner (green tea works well and is SO cheap) and your $40 mattifier as a day cream, that way the product will last longer.

I've also found that asking for 'non-essential' beauty items that I prefer for Christmas or birthdays is a good way to stock up twice a year on stuff that may not necessarily be within your personal budget ;)

ReplySendWatch