Forum: Irish / Irish - Teachers and Assistants

How to get training for the TCRG?
By irishstep
On Tue Dec 11, 2012 09:46 PM

Hi everyone

I love this site and so glad it was recommended to me. I have begun thinking about a career change which would involve me pursuing my certification to teach ISD. I have about 12 years of dancing experience and have competed in the New England Oireachtas 3 times. I was fortunate to place in all of them and in my first Oireachtas I placed fifth. My competition was very fierce. My school took, 1,2,4,5,6 and several other placements. I am taking Irish Dancing again, with the school I grew up with, and I am wondering if it is appropriate for me to ask them to train me for my certification. I am a pretty good dancer even now after 25 years of being out of it. I am having some trouble with some of the new moves, double whips, standing on toes etc. If anyone has any advice for me I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
Nancy
aka irish step.

6 Replies to How to get training for the TCRG?

re: How to get training for the TCRG?
By blondcat
On Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:04 PM
It was my understanding that you needed to be sponsored/mentored by another TCRG/ADRG to become one. So asking the TCRG at your own school would be appropriate.
By seannettaPremium member
On Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:33 PM
Yes, go right ahead and tell your own teacher that you're interested in training for the TCRG exam. You're going to need lots of help and advice -- and yes, you need to be sponsored by a TC anyhow. That's great that you've had a successful competitive career, but keep in mind that teaching is a completely different beast than dancing. Have you assistant-taught classes before? If not, I would start volunteering to help out with teaching before you start studying for the exam. Being a good dancer is only one part of a 5-part exam. You need to be able to teach moves well (and figure out how to teach moves you can't do well) and communicate well and figure out 97 different ways of teaching the same move to different people who learn in different ways. You need to be able to teach beginners how to do their skip23s, and how to be able to critique a world-qualifying dancer. It's a huge challenge, and the more support you have, the better. So if your school is willing to show you the ropes, that's a great start.
By IDer_x
On Wed Dec 12, 2012 04:39 AM
If you have been out of the Irish Dance world for 25 years, it is going to be a somewhat hard and long process to get your TCRG. you need to be able to dance properly, dance the steps with proper foot placement and have somewhat up to date material. it may be a long shot but i wish you the best and applaud you for wanting to contribute to the Irish Dance world!
By irishstep
On Wed Dec 12, 2012 03:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice. It does seem quite overwhelming.
I remember most of 2 of the sets I did in competition, Rub
The Bag and Planxty Davis. I knew Planxty Drury at one time but don't remember that one at all. I just learned a 3 and 4 hand reel, a slip jig step and a treble reel. and I have started to study the set dance music. I will ask my teacher one of these days. Thanks again. :).
By IDlifeforus
On Wed Dec 12, 2012 04:07 PM
Congratulations to you for pursuing a dream. Don't let anything stand in your way!
By irishstep
On Tue Jan 08, 2013 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. Good stuff. I'm going to complete the year as a student. One of the teacher's asked me if I'd like to compete again. So I may do that while I work up the courage to ask for training help. Still having lots of fun with it. Thanks again.

ReplySendWatch