Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
25 years old looking to start dance with questions?
By brandona Comments: 3, member since Fri Dec 14, 2012
On Fri Dec 14, 2012 07:46 AM
Locked by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-12-16 20:36:18 Cross posted

I am totally new to dance, a male, and I'm looking to take classes to have fun and learn not to become a professional or anything. I am 25 years old use to play all types of sports and ran track in college. I always enjoyed watching dance and the many different types and the abilities of people in dance. I am looking to start taking dance classes but I was wondering which style I should take. I hear ballet is a good foundation to all the other styles. But I really enjoy watching jazz dance. I also like tap and hip-hop but I think jazz is my favorite style. So I'm wondering what should I take to start ballet or jazz? Also at age 25 do classes have the same dress codes as younger dancers? And last question what would you wear to ballet class and what would you wear to a jazz class? Sorry it got long like I said I'm new but excited to try dance I think I'll enjoy it so thank you for any advice. Also I posted this in a few forums so I apologize if you already seen it and answered.

1 Replies to 25 years old looking to start dance with questions?

re: 25 years old looking to start dance with questions?
By hummingbird Comments: 10441, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Dec 14, 2012 03:24 PM
Each studio will have their own dress codes and some are more relaxed for adults whilst others won't be. You'll need to check with the studio you've picked as to what you need to wear in their lessons.

If you feel you have an affinity with Jazz then I would start with that, whilst ballet technique can help with your Jazz the classes are run very differently and it's often better to start dance with one style so that you can focus on it more fully.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed