Forum: Adults / Money Matters

Money Matters
Identity Theft Protection
By RosettaPremium member Comments: 2888, member since Sat Nov 16, 2002
On Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:51 PM
Locked by Rosetta (49469) on 2012-12-19 14:37:18 Problem solved!

I need some advice on identity theft protection. If you have identity protection insurance, which company do you use? If you have thought about protection, which companies have you considered? Is it beneficial to have a family policy? I am currently looking at Life Lock, Trusted ID, and State Farm (where I have other insurance policies). Any information, opinions, or advice are appreciated!

3 Replies to Identity Theft Protection

re: Identity Theft Protection
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Tue Dec 18, 2012 06:07 PM
I don't have any comments about insurance companies per se, but do recommend you get your yearly (free in the US) credit report and go over it carefully to deal with any discrepancies. Also use common sense with all of your original documents (birth cert, social security card, passport etc.)
re: Identity Theft Protection (karma: 1)
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Wed Dec 19, 2012 02:44 AM
Last year my purse was stolen. It contained my driver's license and social security card, so I was concerned about identity theft. Instead of paying for identity theft protection, I froze my credit at all three of the major credit reporting agencies. The result is that NO ONE can access my credit unless I unfreeze it. So if I go to buy a car (just for example), I will need to unfreeze it briefly so that they can run a credit check on me. So far I've only had to unfreeze it twice (once for a job application, and once for a new cable TV service), and it was easy to do both times. So I think it's worth it, especially since it was completely free.
re: Identity Theft Protection
By gleepglop27 Comments: 20, member since Fri Aug 03, 2012
On Wed Dec 19, 2012 05:13 PM
Some stole my information before and I used the same method and Jonelle and that helped while I cleared up what had already been reported by getting a police report, etc. Good luck!

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed